Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Ar you in favor of a machine calling balls and strikes?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Let's make sure the correct calls are made

57 65.52%
  • No - I'm all for the human element even if a few mistakes are made.

30 34.48%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you want - Robo Umps

What do you want - Robo Umps

Another poll for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-24-2022),goreds2 (01-24-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What do you want - Robo Umps

Where's the poll?

5. Likes:

Red Raindog (01-26-2022)

Definitely no, but, if they do get implemented, I look forward to seeing who will be the first player (or coach) to be tossed from a game for arguing with it

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Where's the poll?
    Up at the top of the thread.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Can the robo umps have Jeffster's version of Mr. Roboto as umpire walk up music? If so, count me in!
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

If implemented the right way, I think they could be a value add

One of the questions I've always had with them is what is considered a strike. If a pitcher just clips the bottom corner of the strike zone at the front of the plate and then the ball goes out of the strike zone, is it a strike? Consequentially, if a ball that starts out as a ball when it gets to the plate, just happens to break into the strike zone at the back corner of it a strike?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    One of the questions I've always had with them is what is considered a strike. If a pitcher just clips the bottom corner of the strike zone at the front of the plate and then the ball goes out of the strike zone, is it a strike? Consequentially, if a ball that starts out as a ball when it gets to the plate, just happens to break into the strike zone at the back corner of it a strike?
    This is a great question that I've had too. Seems to me clipping any part of the strike zone of the plate would make it a strike. Why should the front carry more value than the back or vice versa. And of course works the same way when it comes to top and bottom of strike zone. But if this is the case, than umps can only be fairly accurate calling the horizontal strike rather than the vertical strike as they have no view of when it crosses the plate.

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

13. Likes:

FlightRick (01-24-2022),RED VAN HOT (01-24-2022),Ron Madden (01-24-2022)

I’m glad it will be used in AAA first. Let’s see how it goes.

15. Likes:

goreds2 (01-24-2022)

For balls and strikes yes. Even check swings if it can call that by just saying he swung or not. Eliminate a bunch of BS that happens.

No, unless we have Robo pitchers, hitters, and fielders as well.

A few bad umps give the profession a bad name. Get rid of them and this idea would die down.

18. Likes:

goreds2 (01-24-2022),Hubba (02-08-2022),Old school 1983 (01-24-2022)

I’m of the opinion that partial use with a headset could be deployed. That said technically it’s messy

20. Likes:

757690 (01-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I’m of the opinion that partial use with a headset could be deployed. That said technically it’s messy
    From what I’ve read, the hardest part for the robo ump is the height of the pitch, since that changes from hitter to hitter, and needs to be recalibrated all the time. So let the human umpire call that, and have the robo ump call if the ball went over the plate. This gives the human umps the final say, but gives them help in one key area.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Answer is in the article Roy posted. They use a series of 2-dimensional x/y "slices" (customized to each player's height), to simulate a 3-D strike zone that takes depth into account.

This is such a no-brainer, IMO. They showed we had to technology to do an ad-hoc version of this at one MiLB ballpark as far back as 10 years ago (Eric Byrnes even acted as the plate ump and they did the story for HBO Sports). Now, we're coming up on 5 years of incremental improvements as the system has been standardized and tested at the league-level (not just the one ballpark level). This season, Triple-A will provide the final test.

I see no reason why this isn't implemented for MLB by 2023, short of utterly petty and insecure nonsense from the umpires' union. They still need a home plate ump to deal with things like foul tips, HBP, catcher's interference, etc (to say nothing of safe/out calls at the plate); they just need to swallow their pride and listen to the earpice on strikes/balls. Umps always point to some kind of crazy high accuracy rating for the humans, but that's just because 80% of pitches, you'd have to be blind to call it wrong. We care about the 20% of margin calls (the inside/outside/high/low borders plus/minus 2 inches), which are called right less often, and at a highly variable rate depending on umps (some are very very bad at it, and still get to call games behind the plate because of the union protecting them; others are better, but not still as good as the robots).

23. Likes:

Chip R (01-25-2022),elrojo (01-26-2022),goreds2 (01-24-2022),Ron Madden (01-24-2022)

Turn Off Ads?