Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Ar you in favor of a machine calling balls and strikes?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Let's make sure the correct calls are made

57 65.52%
  • No - I'm all for the human element even if a few mistakes are made.

30 34.48%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you want - Robo Umps

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

What do you want - Robo Umps

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Have you looked at the space directly above the first post of the thread?
    Yes

Using an iPad for some reason none of the polls appear

Same with my iPhone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Red Raindog; 01-26-2022 at 07:27 AM.
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What do you want - Robo Umps

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    Yes

Using an iPad for some reason none of the polls appear

Same with my iPhone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Polls don't work within Tapatalk, unfortunately; it's just a limitation of the app. You'll need to view the threads using a browser or something other than Tapatalk to see the polls.

4. Likes:

BoxingRed (01-31-2022),Chip R (01-26-2022),goreds2 (01-26-2022),Red Raindog (01-26-2022),Revering4Blue (01-27-2022)

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

What do you want - Robo Umps

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Polls don't work within Tapatalk, unfortunately; it's just a limitation of the app. You'll need to view the threads using a browser or something other than Tapatalk to see the polls.
    Thanks for the information!

Now if we could get auto refresh back for game threads life might be close to perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Red Raindog; 01-26-2022 at 08:57 AM.
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

6. Likes:

Boss-Hog (01-26-2022)

Let’s bring some excitement to these robot umps. The robot from Forbidden Planet would work great behind the plate.
    Danger. Danger. Walks will haunt!

A Dalik robot would bring some real danger to the proceedings. Threats of extermination for hitters who argue or catchers who whine and complain about the zone. And managers? Well Earl Weaver and Billy Martin would last barely a full game.

Maybe an R2 D2 unit for another. Strike zone would be low though so make sure you start a sinkerball pitcher. 3CPO for another means you know he’s a pushover so put your Type A personality on the mound. The Hal 3000 means don’t mess with me in the most polite way possible. Kind of like a Doug Harvey like presence. With a smooth calming voice talking to the hitters.

“Joey. I don’t think you should have taken that pitch. That was a hittable pitch. You should swing more.”

I wonder how this would work. Would the home plate ump make the call after getting notified? Or would he just stand behind the catcher and the scoreboard would update the count? What if the ump thought the computer was wrong? Could he override the call?
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Attachment 18006

Still my favorite robot of all-time. Warning, Joseph, you have two strikes on you! Warning! Warning!

10. Likes:

757690 (01-27-2022),goreds2 (01-27-2022),M2 (01-26-2022),Red Raindog (01-26-2022),RFS62 (02-03-2022),Tony Cloninger (01-26-2022)

I am surprised that the majority support this idea. I agree with the earlier poster who said we should only have robo-umps if we have robo-pitchers, hitters and fielders well. If you are seeking 100% accurate calls, go and play MLB The Show instead. This is supposed to be a game played by humans, a spectacle where all of human nature is on display. I like the fact that the ump gives the pitcher the benefit of the doubt in his calls when the pitcher is clearly on his game and the reverse when the pitcher is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaysland Red View Post
    I am surprised that the majority support this idea. I agree with the earlier poster who said we should only have robo-umps if we have robo-pitchers, hitters and fielders well. If you are seeking 100% accurate calls, go and play MLB The Show instead. This is supposed to be a game played by humans, a spectacle where all of human nature is on display. I like the fact that the ump gives the pitcher the benefit of the doubt in his calls when the pitcher is clearly on his game and the reverse when the pitcher is not.
    A strike should always be a strike, regardless of whether it's thrown by Pete Harnisch, Tom Glavine, or K-9. A ball should always be a ball. That you are okay with bias influencing what is supposed to be a game of skill baffles me.

14. Likes:

elrojo (01-26-2022),goldglover9 (02-01-2022),M2 (01-26-2022),Ron Madden (01-26-2022),Tony Cloninger (01-26-2022)

I respect the umps job and how hard it is. But no one goes to watch them and we only care about the players and how they perform. And if you have a way to make sure the zone is called correctly. That’s all that matters in the end. Right calls. Not Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine zones or Yankee zones.

16. Likes:

goldglover9 (02-01-2022),Ron Madden (01-26-2022)

May I ask what age range you are? I watched the 90s-00s Braves get so much “benefit” even when they were 6 inches in doubt off the plate and grew sick of it.

A strike is a strike by rule, not by emotion. A runner is safe or out. Yes, it is black and white. You’re almost advocating that an umpire or referee SHOULD be biased if the situation calls for it.

I want emotion in my team, but cold neutrality in umps and refs.

Watch the winter Olympics and see how much tech they use to decide things. Unless you want subjective emotion and you can watch figure skating…

18. Likes:

goldglover9 (02-01-2022),M2 (01-26-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Attachment 18006

Still my favorite robot of all-time. Warning, Joseph, you have two strikes on you! Warning! Warning!
    Strike 3! Eliminate! Eliminate!
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

20. Likes:

Chip R (01-27-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Let’s bring some excitement to these robot umps. The robot from Forbidden Planet would work great behind the plate.
    Danger. Danger. Walks will haunt!

A Dalik robot would bring some real danger to the proceedings. Threats of extermination for hitters who argue or catchers who whine and complain about the zone. And managers? Well Earl Weaver and Billy Martin would last barely a full game.

Maybe an R2 D2 unit for another. Strike zone would be low though so make sure you start a sinkerball pitcher. 3CPO for another means you know he’s a pushover so put your Type A personality on the mound. The Hal 3000 means don’t mess with me in the most polite way possible. Kind of like a Doug Harvey like presence. With a smooth calming voice talking to the hitters.

“Joey. I don’t think you should have taken that pitch. That was a hittable pitch. You should swing more.”

Reds Fan Since 1971

22. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (01-27-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Attachment 18006

I always loved Dr. Smith’s verbal tirades and the Robot would calmly fire back with some sarcasm or logic…. Silly show, but loved it as a kid.

24. Likes:

Chip R (01-27-2022),goreds2 (01-27-2022)

The top and bottom of the strikezone is actually a judgement call is not concrete like the inside and outside too many forget that part of it.

I rather have an umpire make a mistake easier to correct than some it guy making a mistake.

Turn Off Ads?