Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

Thread: 2022's QB Carousel

Re: 2022's QB Carousel

One month later where the carousel stands.

Indy - The QB debacle continues. Matt Ryan now benched for rest of the season. Demoted to #3, Sam Elingher a 2021 6th rounder will be handed the reins for the rest of the year. Ryan is guarantied 12 million next year but if he's injured another 7 million could guarantee. He will never see another down of action in Indy. Trading for a 37 year old QB when you need a franchise QB was always a dumb move. So unless Elhinger shows he's the real deal, Colts will be searching for a QB again.

New England - A QB controversy has broken out between last years #1 Mac Jones and this years #4 Bailey Zappe. Zappe's numbers are better and when asked if Jones is the QB if healthy, Belichick declined to take the easy route and say that Jones was the starter. Instead he didn't want to deal in hypotheticals.

Denver - Russell Wilson has been pretty bad amid all the dysfunction in Denver. He's a month away from turning 34 and all of a sudden the 5 year extension they signed for 242 million before he ever played down for them and with 2 years left on his contract looks like a really bad deal. As does the trade where they gave up 2 #1's and and 2 #2's and some players to Seattle.

Seattle - And Geno Smith is playing great !! This could hardly have worked better for Seattle. Now if Denver falls apart. (which could easily happen), Seattle could wind up with the rights to one of the top QB's in 2023 draft thanks to Denver.

Dallas - Cooper Rush filled in VERY well for Dak Prescott. In fact Rush was 4-1 and Prescott is 1-1. Could Rush be trade bait?

Washington - Wentz has been average at best in leading Commanders to a 2-4 record. Now he's hurt and out for 4 weeks and his replacement Heinicke is 1-0.

Carolina - Carolina has already fired their HC. Baker Mayfield was the starter and went 1-5. Now he's got an ankle sprain. Darnold was on IR for ankle sprain. PJ Walker leads them to upset over TB to go 1-1 in his 2 games and has been named the starter for next week regardless of Mayfield's ankle. It may be his job to lose.

New Orleans - Winston has been out with rib/ankle injuries and Dalton filling in. Both guys have been fairly ineffective. Dalton has better number but is 1-3 while Winston is 1-2. Neither appears to be "the answer".

Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh has transitioned to Pickett over Trubisky. Seemingly everyone in Pitt is behind Pickett but he's been a turnover machine that's lost every game and the 2 wins came with Trubisky at the helm.

In general there's been a feeling that there's a changing of the guard with a lot of the older QB's facing issues Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Ryan, Stafford
    Last edited by JaxRed; 10-25-2022 at 10:58 PM.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Likes:

757690 (10-25-2022),Assembly Hall (10-26-2022),Kingspoint (10-26-2022),Rojo Rijo (10-26-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Again....another month, another revolution of the carousel.

In Indy, the coach that said Ryan was done and went with Elhlinger (probably at the owner's insistence) is gone. The new guy (probably with owners blessing) reinstates Ryan. Apparently Nick Foles isn't going to see the field this year......but you never know. At this rate it still looks like Indy has to fix their QB situation, and that the future isn't in Indy now.

Their AFC South pals, the Texans have just announced their intention to sit Davis Mills and start Kyle Allen. This would seemingly 100% lock in the notion that they will go QB with their #1 pick (which might be #1 overall. They have a 1.5 game lead over all other teams with 7 to go ). It was probably heading that way all along. Now the questions will center on Young or Stroud.

Speaking of benching, Jet HC Robert Saleh, just benched last years #2 overall pick, Zach Wilson in favor of Mike White. This despite the fact that he did not let down the Jets defense. . Saleh says this is not the end of the road for Wilson. But for a while it's a bumpy road.

Carolina is running their own personal carousel. Last time we talked they had just named Walker the starter. He had a 4 game run. Then they tried Mayfield again, and now they've just announced it's going to be Sam Darnold getting his first start.

Saint are sticking with Andy Dalton even though Winston is healthy.

New England is solid with Jones, but he's been less impressive this year. Some fans grumbling for Zappe.

Pickett is making rookie mistakes in Pittsburgh. Which is ok as long as he gets better.

Cleveland is 10 days away from seeing Desean Watson

Tennessee is rolling. Tannehill continues to manage games efficiently. They were able to see some Mailk Willis action when Tannehill got hurt and it was not pretty.

Raiders are struggling but so far not too much pressure on Carr.

Broncos are a mess and Wilson continues to not look very good.

Giants have been a surprise team and Jones (who will be a FA) has looked pretty good, but a loss to Detroit and with today's game against Dallas looming, you wonder if the pixie dust is starting to fade.

Commanders are going with Heinicke for now. Stats are about the same, but Heinicke is winning and Wentz was losing.

Justin Fields has started playing very well for the Bears but it hasn't translated into wins. And now he has a separated non-throwing shoulder.

Atlanta seemingly won't start looking at draftee Desmond Ridder until they are eliminated from playoff contention.

Jimmy G is suddenly the man again in SF.

Arizona and Rams are both struggling and QB's that just got new deals are part of the problem. Jalen Ramsey's back should start hurting soon.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 11-24-2022 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Speaking of benching, Jet HC Robert Saleh, just benched last years #2 overall pick, Zach Wilson in favor of Mike White. This despite the fact that he did not let down the Jets defense. . Saleh says this is not the end of the road for Wilson. But for a while it's a bumpy road.
    Not everyone is going to succeed right away as an NFL QB. Unfortunately this is an instant gratification society and if you don't have immediate success, you will be criticized - especially if you play in New York. His refusal to take accountability for his shortcomings was not a positive sign. If they keep him, he's probably going to get a new offensive coordinator and he's going to have to start from square one.

Pickett is making rookie mistakes in Pittsburgh. Which is ok as long as he gets better.
    He's very promising.

The Broncos are a mess and Wilson continues to not look very good.
    Broncos really screwed themselves here. Not only did they give a buttload of picks to SEA; they gave Wilson a new contract.

Jimmy G is suddenly the man again in SF.
    Pretty fortunate for them he wasn't picked up by another team. If he were a free agent now, 10 teams would be after him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I thought Kenny Picket was going to impress this year. He didn't get to play at all near the start of the season and right now I am not buying his stock.

7. Likes:

Sea Ray (11-25-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by BenchRider View Post
    I thought Kenny Picket was going to impress this year. He didn't get to play at all near the start of the season and right now I am not buying his stock.
    I would like to see him with a better O line...he reminds me a little of Alex Smith when he 1st came into the league.

Pitts has a ton of picks in this coming draft they can get good in a hurry.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

We didn't even make a month before the carousel made another rotation.

Texas which had benched Davis Mills in favor of Kyle Allen has announced they are going back to Davis Mills

Jimmy Garafolo who had seemingly locked up the 49's job for the rest of the year (at least) gets rolled up and hurts his ankle so badly that if he makes it back at all it would be late (very late) in a playoff run. Mr. Irrelevant Brock Purdy comes in, completes 67% of his passes, throws for 2 TD's and lead SF to a win over a very tough Miami squad. He's now the man and very relevant.

After the game, the 49's claim Josh Johnson off the practice squad.

Matthew Stafford is seemingly done for (at least) the year with a spinal cord contusion. Rams had been bouncing back and forth with Perkins and Wolford.

On Monday, with Darnold (for now) #1 and PJ Walker as #2, the Panthers grant Baker Mayfield his release. Immediate speculation that 49's will claim him. Instead the Rams are the only club to claim him. He becomes a Ram on Tuesday and on Thursday leads a 98 yard TD drive with no timeouts and less then 2 minutes to give Rams first win after 6 consecutive losses. He's now the man in L.A.

Cleveland gets their first look at Desean Watson and his first game back did have a happy ending against Houston, but he did not look particularly sharp.

Apparently Atlanta (who has a bye this week) has seen enough and word is Desmond Ritter is now the starting QB.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 12-11-2022 at 11:53 AM.

10. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-12-2022)

On the Atlanta front,...

They aren't even going to have Ridder thinking about looking over his shoulder. From NBC Sports...

Falcons head coach Arthur Smith said Marcus Mariota (knee) is expected to be placed on injured reserve, ending his season. The team is calling this a "chronic knee injury," although little was said of this injury prior to the news of Mariota being benched in favor of rookie quarterback Desmond Ridder. Nevertheless, Mariota's season, and perhaps time with the Falcons appear to be drawing to a close. The team has already signed quarterback Logan Woodside with the expectation that he'll backup Ridder with Mariota being out for the season.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Another (almost) 2 weeks another rotation of the carousel.

The NY Jets decide Mike White is their guy and he has 2 pretty decent games but gets obliterated twice hurting his ribs, and Jets go back to Zach Wilson. First game wasn't too bad but in the second (going against what could have been in Trevor Lawrence) he was absolutely terrible and gets yanked from the game. So bad that media guys like Rich Eisen, Boomer Esiason, (and many others) think the Jets have to move him off the team next year.

As alluded to above when Falcons decided go to Desmond Ridder, Marcus Mariota decided he was so now injured that he had to have season ending knee surgery. I think that move will hurt him down the line. I'd be surprised if he's ever signed to be the #1 again. Ridder struggles in his first start.

Desean Watson has won 2 of 3 starts but has been very underwhelming so far. Brissett has much better stats

Russell Wilson gets cleared for concussion protocol but Broncos decide to "give him an extra week" and lo and behold, the Broncos win. They had lost 9 of 10 with Wilson. He's expected to start again this weekend.

Baltimore has lost Lamar Jackson for the foreseeable future.

Kenny Pickett misses 2 games with a concussion. Trubisky goes 1-1. Pickett looks to return this weekend.

The stumbling Titans have lost Tannehill for possibly the rest of the regular season so Malik Willis gets thrown into the fray. So far he has looked pretty bad. Edit: Source now says gone for year

The Eagles who need one more win to clinch a #1 playoff spot now face going without Hurts. Minshew Mania starts !!

Those crazy Indianapolis Colts have now benched Matt Ryan again (after blowing the largest lead in NFL history) and Nick Foles finally gets his chance. Word on the street is Ryan is benched for the year (again).

Kyler Murray tears an ACL and is out for year. Colt McCoy starts against Broncos, gets concussed and now Trace McSorley is the QB for this week.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 12-24-2022 at 09:42 AM.

Lamar will be the big question for this coming offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Lamar will be the big question for this coming offseason.
    The only question is who and how much...lot of desperate teams looking for QB 1
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    The only question is who and how much...lot of desperate teams looking for QB 1
    I’m sticking to my original pick, the Texans.

They have the cap space, they could attract a head coach and a boatload of picks thanks to the DeShaun Watson trade.

The first overall pick could be Will Anderson and the next pick a WR.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I’m sticking to my original pick, the Texans.

They have the cap space, they could attract a head coach and a boatload of picks thanks to the DeShaun Watson trade.

The first overall pick could be Will Anderson and the next pick a WR.
    The Ravens could tag Lamar, so he won't be an unrestricted FA. That rules out the Texans unless they are willing to give up the #1 pick as a package. I would guess Lamar would refuse going there anyway unless they hit a home run with their coaching hire.

I would think it would take 3 first round picks plus some more for the Ravens to trade him. I think Atlanta and Carolina would both do that since they were willing to do so for Deshaun Watson. Either team would become the favorite in the NFC South if they had Lamar. The Colts probably would give that much up as well. The two sleepers would be Detroit and Seattle, as both have multiple first round picks this year, have solid short-term choices at QB, but neither has a difference maker like Lamar. This could be their last chance to get a franchise QB either through the draft or trade. A long shot would be the Raiders.

And now the Raiders have benched Derek Carr !!

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    And now the Raiders have benched Derek Carr !!
    Welp back into the darkness of veteran screw arounds and flops for picks. I hope Carr gets traded to somewhere that I can at least respect, dude's been the face of a franchise who's last 2 coaches wanted rid of him before they started. All he's done is gone out and performed. He'll never be mistaken as a great but he also was never given the help he needed and still found a way to at least get us to the playoffs twice.

The Raiders franchise is a dumpster fire, they need a clean slate from owner all the way down to night security guard and janitor.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Welp back into the darkness of veteran screw arounds and flops for picks. I hope Carr gets traded to somewhere that I can at least respect, dude's been the face of a franchise who's last 2 coaches wanted rid of him before they started. All he's done is gone out and performed. He'll never be mistaken as a great but he also was never given the help he needed and still found a way to at least get us to the playoffs twice.

The Raiders franchise is a dumpster fire, they need a clean slate from owner all the way down to night security guard and janitor.
    I’m thinking he gets cut. Dead cap only 5.6 and saves LV 29.2. Now where he’ll end up is anyone’s guess as there will be a handful of teams looking at a potential QB change who may opt for a guy like Carr over a trade, a rookie, or a more expensive option.

Teams I think have a more than 30% chance to look at a QB change this off-season

Jets, Patriots, Steelers, Colts, Texans, Raiders, Giants, Redskins, Packers, Saints, Panthers, Falcons, Buccaneers, and Seahawks.

Turn Off Ads?