Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: 2022's QB Carousel

Re: 2022's QB Carousel

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    I’m thinking he gets cut. Dead cap only 5.6 and saves LV 29.2. Now where he’ll end up is anyone’s guess as there will be a handful of teams looking at a potential QB change who may opt for a guy like Carr over a trade, a rookie, or a more expensive option.

Teams I think have a more than 30% chance to look at a QB change this off-season

Jets, Patriots, Steelers, Colts, Texans, Raiders, Giants, Redskins, Packers, Saints, Panthers, Falcons, Buccaneers, and Seahawks.
    Sets the stage for next year's carousel thread.......

When I posted the recap of action right before the season started this was the line for Raiders:

"Raiders - Derek Carr. New management gave him new deal but it can be easily dumped after 1 year."

Exactly what's happening. This is more than just a look at Stidham. They are moving on. This from Rappaport

"As part of the discussions that took place over the last few days, both sides concluded that it was best #Raiders QB Derek Carr step away the final two games to avoid the obvious distractions, sources say. He won’t practice and will be listed as “not injury related.”

They don't even want him at practice. He won't be active or with the team. The line about "not injury related" is code for "he is being cut". HIs contract extends if he is injured. So Raiders are making sure he is NOT under contract.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Sets the stage for next year's carousel thread.......

When I posted the recap of action right before the season started this was the line for Raiders:

"Raiders - Derek Carr. New management gave him new deal but it can be easily dumped after 1 year."

Exactly what's happening. This is more than just a look at Stidham. They are moving on. This from Rappaport

"As part of the discussions that took place over the last few days, both sides concluded that it was best #Raiders QB Derek Carr step away the final two games to avoid the obvious distractions, sources say. He won’t practice and will be listed as “not injury related.”

They don't even want him at practice. He won't be active or with the team. The line about "not injury related" is code for "he is being cut". HIs contract extends if he is injured. So Raiders are making sure he is NOT under contract.
    &$^# McMoron. #SelltheteamMark.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

4. Likes:

Kingspoint (12-28-2022)

Are they trying to match DEN for futility? Wow! There are some disastrous franchises right now...CLE, DEN, HOU, WAS, OAK, and I'm sure there's more,...and it's the same common reason....buffoons at the Ownership level.

- - - Updated - - -

NBC Sports' take:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Derek Carr will "step away the final two games to avoid the obvious distractions." The team will be listing him as a non-participant in practice for personal reasons for the remainder of the season. Carr was benched in favor of Jarrett Stidham for the final two weeks earlier today. With Carr not even kept around to be the team's backup, this report seems to confirm the idea that the Raiders plan to cut or trade their quarterback in the offseason. If seriously injured in the final two weeks of the season, $33 million of Carr's cap hit in 2023 would become guaranteed. Not wanting to take that risk, the Raiders appear ready to sever their ties with Carr right now. Las Vegas will explore plenty of trade options before they consider cutting him, but an offseason move appears inevitable at this point.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 28, 2022, 5:51 PM ET
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Are they trying to match DEN for futility? Wow! There are some disastrous franchises right now...CLE, DEN, HOU, WAS, OAK, and I'm sure there's more,...and it's the same common reason....buffoons at the Ownership level.

- - - Updated - - -

NBC Sports' take:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Derek Carr will "step away the final two games to avoid the obvious distractions." The team will be listing him as a non-participant in practice for personal reasons for the remainder of the season. Carr was benched in favor of Jarrett Stidham for the final two weeks earlier today. With Carr not even kept around to be the team's backup, this report seems to confirm the idea that the Raiders plan to cut or trade their quarterback in the offseason. If seriously injured in the final two weeks of the season, $33 million of Carr's cap hit in 2023 would become guaranteed. Not wanting to take that risk, the Raiders appear ready to sever their ties with Carr right now. Las Vegas will explore plenty of trade options before they consider cutting him, but an offseason move appears inevitable at this point.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Dec 28, 2022, 5:51 PM ET
    I am already hearing it. "Carr to Indy", say Colts fans.

Nothing aside from a Steeler loss or meltdown warms my heart as much as Raiders fail.

8. Likes:

Tuff Nut (12-29-2022)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I am already hearing it. "Carr to Indy", say Colts fans.
    That's the obvious play.
    Could also see him going to the Texans.
    Dark horse would be the Seahawks.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

If I'm Texas, no way do I sign Carr or Lamar Jackson (if he becomes available). You are in line (currently) to get the top pick in the draft. Choose wisely between Stroud and Young, and enjoy 5 years of QB play by a young CHEAP QB.

Colts keep signing these stopgaps and QB's other teams have passed on. Ryan was 37 !! Foles is 34 in a month. Wentz. Carr will be 32 before he takes a snap next season. Two sets of Raiders management teams have observed Carr close up and didn't love it. Gruden was always rumored to be wanting to move on, and now McDaniels and GM Ziegler have decided they want him off the team immediately. Colts are #5 in draft. I'd try and get one there, and if they don't get one they want, then pursue a FA.

The Titans who are resting everyone for tonight's "game" against Dallas, have announced that Joshua Dobbs, who has never started an NFL game and only joined the Titans 8 days ago, will get the start tonight. Is Willis being rested or is he benched? He's been pretty awful. 50% completion percentage and 0 touchdowns with 3 picks.

The talk on local Jax radio is they think he's benched. And that barring a Hindenberg-like performance by Dobbs tonight Dobbs will get the start in Jacksonville.

Edit: after the game, most people seem to think he will get the start next week. We'll see what Vrabel says. (Apparently it's up to him)
    Last edited by JaxRed; 12-29-2022 at 11:23 PM.

Not being sure of Tannehill's contract, their were a team I was throwing in the Carr sweepstakes.

Tannehill now placed on IR. Out for rest of regular season.

Final (Regular Season) stop of the carousel.

Indy went to Nick Foles, only to have him suck in one game, and get hurt (after sucking) in second game. Ehlinger came in and looked better and will start game 17 in a must-lose scenario. The Athletic ran a story on the organizational chaos in Indy, and as suspected, owner Jim Irsay directed all the benchings/replacements.

Las Vegas went with Jason Stidham who looked pretty good in his loss to the Steelers. Stidham is also a free agent.

Minshew Has not looked fantastic and has lost both games for Philly. Will hurt his FA status.

Dobbs didn't look bad for Titans and has indeed replaced Wilis as top QB not named Ryan. And will start against Jags with Division title on the line.

Tua suffers yet another concussion. Makes you concerned for his health and long term viability. Teddy B replaces him and then breaks a finger and Skylar Thompson enters the picture as Dolphins try to sneak into playoffs.

Jets play Mike White who has a bad game against Seahawks, and then is declared out and Jets go with Old Man River Joe Flacco for the finale. Flacco vs Thompson. A battle for the ages.

Lamar Jackson is still out for season finale. Huntley has not looked good in my opinion. Jackson still unsigned. Puts Baltimore in a precarious situation heading into off-season.

Cleveland is 3-2 under Watson (against weak opposition), but he has not been sharp. 56.7% completion percentage and 5/3 TD/INT ratio.

Pittsburgh seems to have settled in with Pickett and seem to have a good situation with Pickett/Trubisky.

Having not seen the last game of the 2021 season, the Commanders, with everything on the line turned away from Heinicke and went with Wenz, and he throws 3 interceptions to end the Commanders chances. Now rookie Sam Howell gets a chance to see what he can do in the finale. I can't predict the future, but Wentz is owed 26 million if he is on the Commanders next year with a cap hit of ZERO if he is cut. I simply can't decide what Commanders will do.

You'd think with losing 8 of 9 and with Murray out for year with ACL, that things could not get worse for Cards, but you would be wrong as Trace McSorley has been replaced by David Blough.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 01-07-2023 at 05:26 PM.

Starting QB Predictions - 2023

New England - Mac Jones
    New York - Tom Brady
    Buffalo - Josh Allen
    Miami - Tua Tagovailoa
    Cincinnati - Joe Burrow
    Cleveland - Deshaun Watson
    Baltimore - Lamar Jackson