Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2021-22: Staring at the Suns

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: NBA 2021-22: Staring at the Suns

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Nurse is also playing that starting five a ridiculous amount of minutes. It'll be fascinating to see if wilt as Thibs' Bulls did 15 years ago. Regardless, it's great that Nurse continues to try something different. All five starters are well over 34 mpg, with five over 36.
    They are truly lacking in the backup guard department. It’s a must that Dragic’s expiring deal is utilized to obtain such at the deadline. But for whom? Jeremy Lamb? Eric Gordon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    They are truly lacking in the backup guard department. It’s a must that Dragic’s expiring deal is utilized to obtain such at the deadline. But for whom? Jeremy Lamb? Eric Gordon?
    I'd lean toward Toronto not shopping for immediate need. They're probably the 10th-best team in the conference. I don't think there's a move that team that can get it out of the first round, and possibly not even to the first round. Maybe try to turn Khem Birch into someone more useful. I actually think a young lockdown guard would be a good fit for them (e.g. a Thybulle or De'Anthony Melton type). Them, Charlotte and Cleveland strike me as the teams that don't really need to do much in the East. Play hard, win what you can this year, make some shrewd moves in the summer to get even better.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

4. Likes:

membengal (02-04-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Them, Charlotte and Cleveland strike me as the teams that don't really need to do much in the East. Play hard, win what you can this year, make some shrewd moves in the summer to get even better.
    Cleveland 5th in the conference, 1.5 out of 1st place and a half-game behind the struggling Nets.

If they can find a good deal for a wing, they need to pounce right now. Home court is massive, and, while they likely don't have the horses right now to win, a deep dive into the playoffs can jumpstart that focus on a new championship. (Drafting Dylan Windler instead of Keldon Johnson was a really bad move in retrospect. How much better would that team look with Johnson's 15/6/2 40+% 3-point range at the wing? And he plays the type of frenetic switching D that would suit that team to a tee. Hard to believe he slipped all the way to 29th in that draft class. Johnson more productive than every wing in that class other than RJ Barrett and Tyler Herro.)

Caris LeVert for Ricky Rubio and a lightly protected future 1st rounder makes all sorts of sense for the Cavs-- assuming that's the Indiana's liking. If it's not, perhaps Marcus Smart and Aaron Nesmith for Rubio and that same 1st gets it done. (Were I Boston, I'd be reluctant until I'd exhausted other possibilities.) If they're willing to swing for the fences on a true gamble, perhaps they'd take homestate hero D'Angelo Russell for Collin Sexton and Rubio. They might have to add at least a 2nd rounder to that one, as Russell is healthy and Sexton is not.

I'd lean toward Toronto not shopping for immediate need.
    Toronto is absolutely dealing Dragic. I'm guessing they're okay with trading Khem Birch as well-- and possibly Chris Boucher.

A deal between Dallas and Toronto, wherein the Mavs grab Dragic and Birch while dealing away a pick, Klieber, Bullock (who've both struggled mightily this year), and maybe Josh Green makes all sorts of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Though questioned by many at the time, Ujiri’s selection of Scottie Barnes has, so far, proven to be the stroke of genius.
    It was certainly questioned by me.

I was worried about Barnes' three-point marksmanship and inability to hit a shot outside of ten feet. So far, Barnes' long-range jumpers (16' - 22') are going in at a 47% clip. That's really high for a kid who's shooting 10 percentage points lower than that closer in. Perhaps he's got that range in his bag. Perhaps he's riding an early-season streak-- his January has his shooting splits at 42% overall and 24% from distance. That put his offensive rating (for the month) at 105-- which is borderline unplayable even with elite defense. (Which he's not shown.)

Now, that may well be a blip. He was excellent early, with three months of near All-Star level production. He's also had two excellent games in February (though his defensive rating has absolutely tanked over the last month).

I'm still not ready to admit I was wrong about him, but I was definitely wrong about Jalen Suggs. I thought that guy would set the league on fire. He's maybe been the guy to ride the struggle bus the most (though Houston's Green has been pretty bad).
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 02-04-2022 at 11:42 AM.

8. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-04-2022)

Cleveland 5th in the conference, 1.5 out of 1st place and a half-game behind the struggling Nets.

If they can find a good deal for a wing, they need to pounce right now. Home court is massive, and, while they likely don't have the horses right now to win, a deep dive into the playoffs can jumpstart that focus on a new championship. (Drafting Dylan Windler instead of Keldon Johnson was a really bad move in retrospect. How much better would that team look with Johnson's 15/6/2 40+% 3-point range at the wing? And he plays the type of frenetic switching D that would suit that team to a tee. Hard to believe he slipped all the way to 29th in that draft class. Johnson more productive than every wing in that class other than RJ Barrett and Tyler Herro.)

Caris LeVert for Ricky Rubio and a lightly protected future 1st rounder makes all sorts of sense for the Cavs-- assuming that's the Indiana's liking. If it's not, perhaps Marcus Smart and Aaron Nesmith for Rubio and that same 1st gets it done. (Were I Boston, I'd be reluctant until I'd exhausted other possibilities.) If they're willing to swing for the fences on a true gamble, perhaps they'd take homestate hero D'Angelo Russell for Collin Sexton and Rubio. They might have to add at least a 2nd rounder to that one, as Russell is healthy and Sexton is not.
    Rubio's out for the year (ACL) and then he's out of contract. I don't see why anybody would trade for him unless he was the salary offset to a major goody basket. Sexton's probably the moveable asset, and perhaps he could pick up Eric Gordon (with Rubio and DJ Augustin in there to make the salaries fit). That makes sense, though I think Cleveland's too green to make much noise in the playoffs. It's one of those first they need to learn what they need to learn situations. I would refrain from pushing in too many chips if I were them. Their big pots are in the future.

Toronto is absolutely dealing Dragic. I'm guessing they're okay with trading Khem Birch as well-- and possibly Chris Boucher.

A deal between Dallas and Toronto, wherein the Mavs grab Dragic and Birch while dealing away a pick, Klieber, Bullock (who've both struggled mightily this year), and maybe Josh Green makes all sorts of sense.
    That's a lot of guys nobody wants. From the Toronto side, why do I want the Bullock albatross hung around my neck? The Raps would have to adore Josh Green for that to make sense. And from the Dallas side, does Dragic help me? That team needs scoring. I'm not sure Dragic helps much of anybody given that he's barely played this season and he's working on fumes. IMO, his main value is that he's an expiring contract.
    Last edited by M2; 02-04-2022 at 01:32 PM.

Trade - Portland send Covington and Powell to LA Clips for Bledsoe, Winslow, Keon Johnson and a #2 round pick

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Trade - Portland send Covington and Powell to LA Clips for Bledsoe, Winslow, Keon Johnson and a #2 round pick
    What a fantastic deal for LA.

While Covington has backslid a great deal since his best days in Philly, Powell is a great fit now and in the future next to Kawhi and PG.

And it costs little to nothing.

What a tank job by Portland!

New rumor out of New York:

Julius Randle and change for De'Aaron Fox.

Who says no to IQ and Randle for Fox and a 2nd rounder?

While Covington has backslid a great deal since his best days in Philly, Powell is a great fit now and in the future next to Kawhi and PG.

What a steal for the Clips. And Portland does this for a conference rival? Makes no sense to me.
    Covington is still a quality defender and shooter, Portland wasted his (and Larry Nance’s) talent. Portland traded two #1s to get Roco and now they trade him for Keon Johnson? Coffey and Boston (one undrafted and one 2nd rounder) showed more quality than Johnson a #1 round pick this year.

New rumor out of New York:

Julius Randle and change for De'Aaron Fox.

Who says no to IQ and Randle for Fox and a 2nd rounder?
    Strikes me as a decent trade on both sides.
    Last edited by M2; 02-04-2022 at 05:35 PM.

15. Likes:

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Hmm, interesting.

Key piece there is Powell. Very efficient deep threat who fits well with Kawhi and PG13 when they get back next year. Covington will get some run for them in the short-term on a team that's not challenging for a title this season, then be gone via free agency. They actually could move him again before the deadline. That would be the best move with Covington.

For the Blazers, it's mostly about clearing salary. Bledsoe only has $3.9M guaranteed for next season. So Portland can waive him and get below the cap. Winslow will get some work as they play out the string, but I find it hard to believe he'll have much of a role next season if Dame stays and they're trying to get back toward the upper end of the standings. Maybe Keon Johnson will develop into something. IMO, he becomes a more important asset if they go scorched and move Dame and CJ.

And that brings me to the bigger question, will Portland go scorched earth? They should be dealing Nurkic (expiring contract). They can probably get something for Nance Jr., though if he goes they literally don't have a biggish player on their roster for next season. Dame, CJ and whatever Anfernee Simons gets paid as an RFA (could be a 4/75 deal like Allen Crabbe got) would chew up most of their cap. And are they willing to extend Dame after this season? Supposedly he wanted to tack on two years from 2025-27 for $107M.

They don't have to blow it all up this week, but Powell was a fairly important asset if they were going to take a shot at next season and now he's gone.
    Last edited by M2; 02-04-2022 at 06:13 PM.

17. Likes:

Hmm, interesting.

Key piece there is Powell. Very efficient deep threat who fits well with Kawhi and PG13 when they get back next year. Covington will get some run for them in the short-term on a team that's not challenging for a title this season, then be gone via free agency. They actually could move him again before the deadline. That would be the best move with Covington.

For the Blazers, it's mostly about clearing salary. Bledsoe only has $3.9M guaranteed for next season. So Portland can waive him and get below the cap. Winslow will get some work as they play out the string, but I find it hard to believe he'll have much of a role next season if Dame stays and they're trying to get back toward the upper end of the standings. Maybe Keon Johnson will develop into something. IMO, he becomes a more important asset if they go scorched and move Dame and CJ.

And that brings me to the bigger question, will Portland go scorched earth? They should be dealing Nurkic (expiring contract). They can probably get something for Nance Jr., though if he goes they literally don't have a biggish player on their roster for next season. Dame, CJ and whatever Anfernee Simons gets paid as an RFA (could be a 4/75 deal like Allen Crabbe got) would chew up most of their cap. And are they willing to extend Dame after this season? Supposedly he wanted to tack on two years from 2025-27 and $107M.

They don't have to blow it all up this week, but Powell was a fairly important asset if they were going to take a shot at next season and now he's gone.
    I'd go full scorched earth, plug Simmons in as piece one of the future, deal CJ and Dame.

I'd trade Lillard and Nurkic to Houston for Wall, Sengun, Tate, and 1sts in 2022 and 2024.
    I'd trade CJ to New Orleans for Hart, Satoransky, Alexander-Walker, and a 2022 1st.

Clear a ton of space, build with PG Simmons, G/F Alexander-Walker, F Tate, C - Sengun, and 6 first round picks over the next 3 years. Plus a TON of cap space. That Portland team would unquestionably be in the upper lottery for a few years too.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 02-04-2022 at 06:12 PM.

19. Likes:

M2 (02-04-2022),Revering4Blue (02-04-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo Rijo View Post
    I'd go full scorched earth, plug Simmons in as piece one of the future, deal CJ and Dame.

I'd trade Lillard and Nurkic to Houston for Wall, Sengun, Tate, and 1sts in 2022 and 2024.
    I'd trade CJ to New Orleans for Hart, Satoransky, Alexander-Walker, and a 2022 1st.

Clear a ton of space, build with PG Simmons, G/F Alexander-Walker, F Tate, C - Sengun, and 6 first round picks over the next 3 years. Plus a TON of cap space. That Portland team would unquestionably be in the upper lottery for a few years too.
    I don't know about the specific deals, but it does feel like dynamite time. Could be delayed because they've only got an interim GM. They might want to hire a permanent GM to oversee the sell-off.

If they want to take one more shot, they could sign-and-trade Simons for a frontcourt scorer.

21. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-04-2022),Rojo Rijo (02-05-2022)

Yeesh. That trade was specifically made just to get Portland under the luxury tax threshold. From a talent perspective, that's as lopsided a deal as I've seen in a long long time.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?