Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 74 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2021-22: Staring at the Suns

Re: NBA 2021-22: Staring at the Suns

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    He's another score-first guy teams like OKC and Orlando could use.
    Yeah he just doesn’t fit. It’s no secret that Garland make a huge leap as soon as he got hurt and thus the team made a huge leap.

2. Likes:

M2 (02-06-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Cavs just got Lavert for the Rubio contract and some draft picks they don’t need. Wild.
    That's a heist. Indiana fans should be very, very angry they didn't get more for LeVert. Should have put Sexton in there. Way better asset than a pick that's going to fall deep into the 20s.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Brooklyn just lost its eighth straight. It now sits 7th in the East and I don't think it's going to be long before they're sitting 10th. There needs to be a state of panic around that franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Brooklyn just lost its eighth straight. It now sits 7th in the East and I don't think it's going to be long before they're sitting 10th. There needs to be a state of panic around that franchise.
    Turns out KD is pretty good.

7. Likes:

M2 (02-06-2022),Revering4Blue (02-06-2022)

The Pelicans just pulled their chin over the playoff bar in the West. Brandon Ingram and Jonas Valanciunas are probably the best lead duo of any team chasing the 10th seed (it would be Dame and CJ, but Dame's probably not coming back this season). Josh Hart and Herbert Jones are sturdy supporting players too. Look for them to buy some shooting this week.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

That's a heist. Indiana fans should be very, very angry they didn't get more for LeVert. Should have put Sexton in there. Way better asset than a pick that's going to fall deep into the 20s.
    Big picture: Indiana has parlayed Oladipo - who wasn't going to resign in Indy and may well never return to pre- '19 injury form - into a 1st and three second rounders. Houston's 2nd, headed to Indy in today's deal, is essentially a first rounder, and the two picks acquired today could be packaged together to move up in the draft if need be.

LeVert was long gone in 1.5 years anyway. With more available minutes for Duarte and Brissett, not to mention the cap space gained, it's a nice deal for both sides.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 02-06-2022 at 11:04 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Big picture: Indiana has parlayed Oladipo - who wasn't going to resign in Indy and may well never return to pre- '19 injury form - into a 1st and three second rounders. Houston's 2nd, headed to Indy in today's deal, is essentially a first rounder, and the two picks acquired today could be packaged together to move up in the draft if need be.

LeVert was long gone in 1.5 years anyway. With more available minutes for Duarte and Brissett, not to mention the cap space gained, it's a nice deal for both sides.
    I'm not a fan of picks in the 20s. They're dice rolls, and not particularly high percentage ones. I especially don't get it seeing that Indiana probably wants a scoring guard and the Cavs have Sexton. What are the chances of them drafting someone better than Sexton?

Best thing ever for the 5 Nets fans on the planet-now they can continue to play the what-if game which they are experts at.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

I'm not a fan of picks in the 20s. They're dice rolls, and not particularly high percentage ones. I especially don't get it seeing that Indiana probably wants a scoring guard and the Cavs have Sexton. What are the chances of them drafting someone better than Sexton?
    Isaiah Jackson, who’s already given them an offensive dimension they’ve sorely lacked, was drafted on their behalf at 22. Travis Best, Al Harrington and Jeff Foster, all drafted in the 20s, were each key rotational cogs for Pacers ECF teams, NBA Finals team in the case of Best. Miles Plumlee was drafted in the 20s and was part of the deal which netted them Luis Scola. Danny Granger was drafted at 17, a position they can move up to with the Houston second rounder.

On top of that, they’ll have plenty of cap space to sign Sexton to an offer sheet, which the Cavs likely wouldn’t match. As for the scoring guard issue, they have that covered with Duarte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Isaiah Jackson, who’s already given them an offensive dimension they’ve sorely lacked, was drafted on their behalf at 22. Travis Best, Al Harrington and Jeff Foster, all drafted in the 20s, were each key rotational cogs for Pacers ECF teams, NBA Finals team in the case of Best. Miles Plumlee was drafted in the 20s and was part of the deal which netted them Luis Scola. Danny Granger was drafted at 17, a position they can move up to with the Houston second rounder.

On top of that, they’ll have plenty of cap space to sign Sexton to an offer sheet, which the Cavs likely wouldn’t match. As for the scoring guard issue, they have that covered with Duarte.
    You can get a guy with that pick, but most picks in the 20s don't amount to much. And does Duarte cover them at scoring guard? He's definitely a rotation player, but he's 24 years-old and his per 36 ppg is 16.4. I was thinking more of a high scoring guy, which Sexton is (24.3 ppg last season).

Fair point on them now having the ability to target Sexton as an RFA with an offer sheet. Though I'm still thinking there's a dozen teams looking for a LeVert type of wing and they should have come away with more.

I'm not a fan of picks in the 20s. They're dice rolls, and not particularly high percentage ones.
    I love picks in the 20s. Lottery teams get so enamored with specific players that they don't do due diligence.

As a result, if you're a smart franchise, you can get lucky.

You're not likely to get a franchise guy, but you are likely to get a solid rotational guy-- if you know what you're doing.

Tyrese Maxey, Desmond Bane, Matisse Thybulle, Brandon Clarke, Keldon Johnson, Robert Williams, Jalen Brunson, Jarrett Allen, OG Anunoby, Derrick White, Malcolm Brogdon, and Pascal Siakim were all drafted in the 20s or later. (Over the past five years, it seems as if Power 5 guys are often undervalued.)

You can get a guy with that pick, but most picks in the 20s don't amount to much. And does Duarte cover them at scoring guard? He's definitely a rotation player, but he's 24 years-old and his per 36 ppg is 16.4. I was thinking more of a high scoring guy, which Sexton is (24.3 ppg last season).

Fair point on them now having the ability to target Sexton as an RFA with an offer sheet. Though I'm still thinking there's a dozen teams looking for a LeVert type of wing and they should have come away with more.
    I like Duarte as a first division SG (and Isaiah Jackson as an eventual first division PF). Indiana's going to have a ton of money to spend-- and there should be some pretty solid guys available. At this point, I'd deal Turner or Sabonis for quality young players or picks. At this point, I think Golden State might be willing to give up, say, James Wiseman, Moses Moody, and Juan Toscano-Anderson. That's a good haul for Turner. Switching Johnathan Kuminga for Toscano-Anderson is a good deal for Sabonis.

Brogdon, Duarte, Jackson, and one of Sabonis or Turner is a pretty nice base of talent.

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-07-2022)

I love picks in the 20s. Lottery teams get so enamored with specific players that they don't do due diligence.

As a result, if you're a smart franchise, you can get lucky.

You're not likely to get a franchise guy, but you are likely to get a solid rotational guy-- if you know what you're doing.

Tyrese Maxey, Desmond Bane, Matisse Thybulle, Brandon Clarke, Keldon Johnson, Robert Williams, Jalen Brunson, Jarrett Allen, OG Anunoby, Derrick White, Malcolm Brogdon, and Pascal Siakim were all drafted in the 20s or later. (Over the past five years, it seems as if Power 5 guys are often undervalued.)
    And so were Harry Giles, Terrance Ferguson, Tyler Lydon, Anzejs Pasecniks, Caleb Swanigan Tony Bradley, Josh Okogie, Chandler Hutchinson, Aaron Holiday (I want to like him, but he hasn't popped), Moritz Wagner, Jacob Evans, Dzanan Musa and Omari Spellman. That's just from two drafts. Whole lot of wreckage in there. Over the years, more misses than hits. I don't think it's a "smart" thing so much as a luck thing. There isn't a team that hasn't whiffed in the 20s. Those picks aren't bad to have. You can get useful talent, but LeVert is useful talent. In fact, he's the kind of talent in high demand throughout the league. A shot at a maybe seems a light return to me.

I like Duarte as a first division SG (and Isaiah Jackson as an eventual first division PF). Indiana's going to have a ton of money to spend-- and there should be some pretty solid guys available. At this point, I'd deal Turner or Sabonis for quality young players or picks. At this point, I think Golden State might be willing to give up, say, James Wiseman, Moses Moody, and Juan Toscano-Anderson. That's a good haul for Turner. Switching Johnathan Kuminga for Toscano-Anderson is a good deal for Sabonis.

Brogdon, Duarte, Jackson, and one of Sabonis or Turner is a pretty nice base of talent.
    Oh, I don't like Duarte anywhere close to that. I think he's playing with a guy who might present his career path - Jeremy Lamb. Duarte's an outlet shooter. Putting the ball in his hands and asking him to cook strikes me as a major mistake.

Oh, I don't like Duarte anywhere close to that. I think he's playing with a guy who might present his career path - Jeremy Lamb. Duarte's an outlet shooter. Putting the ball in his hands and asking him to cook strikes me as a major mistake.
    He's a rookie. He'll likely get better at shooting the ball-- and he's already really good at that. And make no mistake, I'm fine with Duarte being the third or fourth option on the team. Having a marksman who can drill somewhere around 40% of his threes and play passable defense is valuable. Extremely so, if it's for a rookie level contract.

IMO, he's more Joe Harris and Jeremy Lamb, but ymmv.

He's a rookie. He'll likely get better at shooting the ball-- and he's already really good at that. And make no mistake, I'm fine with Duarte being the third or fourth option on the team. Having a marksman who can drill somewhere around 40% of his threes and play passable defense is valuable. Extremely so, if it's for a rookie level contract.

IMO, he's more Joe Harris and Jeremy Lamb, but ymmv.
    FWIW, I'm not terribly enamored of Joe Harris either. Duarte certainly could be a rough equivalent of him. Harris is an absolutely useful player to have. Can help a good team. But he's not great at hunting his own shot and he's not a creator for others. You're going to need three guys better than him if you really want to contend. The Bucks ate him alive in the playoffs last year.

Turn Off Ads?