Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Part XVII

Re: Covid-19 Part XVII

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The thing to watch with Omicron is where do the death numbers drop to? We caught Omicron on the heels of the Delta wave, and now more than 300,000 have died off as a result. We haven't had lowish overall death numbers (as a nation) since July, even then it only got down to 250 a day on average. We'll call it a victory if we can get back down to there, but it's still more than 90,000 dead people every year. It's possible we're only going down to double or triple that number as our baseline until the next wave rolls through.
    Let's hope the deaths are minimal but if they're not...whatever. Everyone has the opportunity to avoid death due to vaccination. For the immunodepressed or those with serious health conditions, it's one more thing to be wary of. There's another bug out there. As a society we move on

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    Sure, but it's almost all due to the unvaccinated. It isn't like the deaths are going to hit the general public.
    If you had to design a set of conditions for a virus to break through a vax wall, we'd pretty much be it. I'm not saying it will happen, but we've got tens of millions volunteer plague rats.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

If you had to design a set of conditions for a virus to break through a vax wall, we'd pretty much be it. I'm not saying it will happen, but we've got tens of millions volunteer plague rats.
    Freedom!!!!

Nothing we can do about it though. and good luck telling people they still have to wear masks and be cautious because of something that might happen. The positive is that with this technology we can create a new vaccine if we need to.

Not much of a vax wall to break through if you are only talking about cases - https://www.the-scientist.com/news-o...r-months-69703

If the boosters are going to wane that quickly and knowing that most likely everyone will need them yearly, it may be smart to wait until November to get one to get maximum protection during the worst of the covid season.

Attachment 18048

So, by this metric, if one kid gets sick during any given week in a school of 1,000, that's a "high transmission rate?" To reach low transmission, that would be the equivalent of 1-2 kids in the school catching the flu throughout an entire flu season.

C19 spreads like the flu and has very similar risks (actually lower) of severe illness and mortality in children. I'm giving a picture of what the expectation of <10 cases per 100,000 people per week looks like. By that measure, RSV, flu, croup, strep throat, enterovirus, etc would all be dangerously high transmission all winter during a typical year. Given what we understand about coronaviruses and the newer mutations/strains, this metric is completely impractical.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Not much of a vax wall to break through if you are only talking about cases - https://www.the-scientist.com/news-o...r-months-69703

If the boosters are going to wane that quickly and knowing that most likely everyone will need them yearly, it may be smart to wait until November to get one to get maximum protection during the worst of the covid season.
    An Omicron specific vaccine around April/May would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    An Omicron specific vaccine around April/May would be great.
    By then (if not already) most people will have already been exposed to Omicron. That'd be too late

https://apnews.com/article/coronavir...0aa6de3e65ecce

Scientists at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health estimate that about three out of four people in the United States will have been infected by omicron by the end of the surge.
    Wow if true. I saw estimates that 40% of the US would get Omicron when the wave first started. But didn't expect to see closer to 75%.

Wow if true. I saw estimates that 40% of the US would get Omicron when the wave first started. But didn't expect to see closer to 75%.
    You know I’ve come across so many people who tested positive with a home test and never reported it to anyone - I have been wondering how many people have been missed in the reporting.

Not to mention people with cold symptoms who never tested at all.

I would be willing to bet that most people with a "cold" tested for C19 as long as they could find a kit.

Maybe it is being naive, but most people that I associate with took a test if they felt like they had a cold coming on, or at least had a cold and there was known exposure.

I think you're being naive.

14. Likes:

Sea Ray (02-18-2022)

Not much of a vax wall to break through if you are only talking about cases
    I'm not. In fact I wasn't talking about cases at all.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

16. Likes:

RiverRat13 (02-17-2022)

I dont think the quote is right. I think its 75% are immune either through vaccine or prior infection.

18. Likes:

RiverRat13 (02-17-2022)

Its hard to tell without a link, but i cant find anything that referencing what they are talking about online.

Turn Off Ads?