Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 NFL Season

Re: 2022 NFL Season

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    He should add another 6 with 6 million fine. Watch the players Union appeal that part and say. See we are trying to do better. Punish and prevent future issues. Talk to the players.
    If Goodell overrules this decision then it's final. There are no further appeals. Yes, Goodell should send a message to women everywhere that the NFL is not going to take this lightly and suspend him indefinitely, pending the other cases. He has the chance to make a stand and it cannot be appealed

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-01-2022),Revering4Blue (08-01-2022),Tony Cloninger (08-01-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    If Goodell overrules this decision then it's final. There are no further appeals. Yes, Goodell should send a message to women everywhere that the NFL is not going to take this lightly and suspend him indefinitely, pending the other cases. He has the chance to make a stand and it cannot be appealed
    The league can and would be sued though. Watson would likely get a stay and get to play the entire season and then the league would have to convince a judge they had a good reason to overrule a collectively bargained process, which if they don’t do might result in Watson getting no suspension. Plus it keeps this story in the news for at least another year.

I did not say override the decision. Add on to the decision by adding more games. You’re telling me he can’t do that without the chance the original 6 games gets thrown out? The Players Union can protest Gisselle decision to add more games but let them try to protest the judges decision and see where that leads them.

I did not say override the decision. Add on to the decision by adding more games. You’re telling me he can’t do that without the chance the original 6 games gets thrown out? The Players Union can protest Gisselle decision to add more games but let them try to protest the judges decision and see where that leads them.
    Isn’t adding on games overriding the decision?

Watson and the Players Union have already said they won’t appeal the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Isn’t adding on games overriding the decision?

Watson and the Players Union have already said they won’t appeal the decision.
    No. It’s adding the league punishment on top of the arbitrator decision. The article on ESPN said Goodell could add more games as part of the league punishment separate from arb decision.

Of course I could have read it wrong or it was not written clearly.

No. It’s adding the league punishment on top of the arbitrator decision. The article on ESPN said Goodell could add more games as part of the league punishment separate from arb decision.

Of course I could have read it wrong or it was not written clearly.
    If Goodell adds games the NFLPA will sue the league.

If Goodell adds games the NFLPA will sue the league.
    Goodell has the power through their CBA to add games to the suspension. I don't see a lawsuit being successful. He's merely carrying out what the players collectively bargained for

10. Likes:

dubc47834 (08-09-2022),RiverRat13 (08-05-2022)

Goodell has the power through their CBA to add games to the suspension. I don't see a lawsuit being successful. He's merely carrying out what the players collectively bargained for
    Perhaps. But they would still get sued. It would still make it very likely Watson plays the entire season. It keeps the story in the news for a lot longer. There’s a chance the league wins, but there is also a chance they lose. It also makes the entire process look stupid. You both agreed to this and the first time it gets used, you just do whatever you want, then why bother with the independent judge to being with?

12. Likes:

Chip R (08-02-2022)

The NFL presented 5 cases, one of which was thrown out, in this hearing. Goddell could come in over the top of the 20+ more that our out there.

I think the NFL did a terrible job on this, they should have put him on the exempt list until all the dust settled and then proceeded with their case.

Goddell is in a tough situation, does he give the big up yours to all the female fans and stick to the 6 game suspension? Or does he overrule Robinson and suspend longer?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The NFL presented 5 cases, one of which was thrown out, in this hearing. Goddell could come in over the top of the 20+ more that our out there.

I think the NFL did a terrible job on this, they should have put him on the exempt list until all the dust settled and then proceeded with their case.

Goddell is in a tough situation, does he give the big up yours to all the female fans and stick to the 6 game suspension? Or does he overrule Robinson and suspend longer?

I think it's been quite clear, over the years, that the NFL does not care about its female fans except during October when they put on a show about breast cancer. I doubt they appeal since, as BuckeyeRed27 said, it keeps the story in the media much longer.

What I also believe is that if Watson did what he was accused of to all those women - it may have been over 60 women - he's not going to stop just because he got a slap on the wrist here. I would think this would embolden him to do it again. It may not be masseuses the next time because that wasn't about sex. It was about power and a perversion inside of him that compels him to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think it's been quite clear, over the years, that the NFL does not care about its female fans except during October when they put on a show about breast cancer. I doubt they appeal since, as BuckeyeRed27 said, it keeps the story in the media much longer.

What I also believe is that if Watson did what he was accused of to all those women - it may have been over 60 women - he's not going to stop just because he got a slap on the wrist here. I would think this would embolden him to do it again. It may not be masseuses the next time because that wasn't about sex. It was about power and a perversion inside of him that compels him to do that.
    Nah, Chip, it's all good. Sue Robinson said he can't get any more massages except from Browns personnel, so that problem is solved...

16. Likes:

Chip R (08-03-2022)

Perhaps. But they would still get sued. It would still make it very likely Watson plays the entire season. It keeps the story in the news for a lot longer. There’s a chance the league wins, but there is also a chance they lose. It also makes the entire process look stupid. You both agreed to this and the first time it gets used, you just do whatever you want, then why bother with the independent judge to being with?
    The league has indeed decided to not accept this judge's decision and they're on very solid legal grounds:

The NFL Players Association will sue, and this will end up in federal court. The NFL will eventually get its way, however long that takes. The New York Times’ Jenny Vrentas pointed out Wednesday that the CBA says the NFL’s ruling is “full, final and complete.” She quoted a labor law expert who said, because of that clause, whatever the NFL brings back will be airtight against judicial overturn.
    https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/8...eveland-browns

The league has indeed decided to not accept this judge's decision and they're on very solid legal grounds:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/8...eveland-browns
    We shall see. The appeal isn’t a rehearing of the case. The league has to show why the first ruling was wrong, not just that they didn’t like the answer. Maybe they can do that, but her ruling cited a lot of precedent and used the NFLs own arguments. What are they going to say she missed on this appeal?

If they change it the NFL is banking on the court throwing out the case like it did with Brady, but that was under a different CBA. Obviously if they do throw it out Watson is stuck, but if they hear it the NFLPA has a solid shot at winning.

The league also looks pretty stupid for going through the process, appealing to themselves and then appointing some other third party. What was the point of the first process? And if you didn’t like the answer than do it yourself.

We shall see. The appeal isn’t a rehearing of the case. The league has to show why the first ruling was wrong, not just that they didn’t like the answer. Maybe they can do that, but her ruling cited a lot of precedent and used the NFLs own arguments. What are they going to say she missed on this appeal?

If they change it the NFL is banking on the court throwing out the case like it did with Brady, but that was under a different CBA. Obviously if they do throw it out Watson is stuck, but if they hear it the NFLPA has a solid shot at winning.

The league also looks pretty stupid for going through the process, appealing to themselves and then appointing some other third party. What was the point of the first process? And if you didn’t like the answer than do it yourself.
    Counts. Number of counts. Number of alleged victims. Volume. Ray Rice only knocked out one girl in one elevator (that we know of). Had he knocked out 22 in 22 different elevators, then he would have been suspended for more games. Ray Rice did his thing where there was a camera. The predatory Watson knew there were cameras at massage parlors, so he always arranged for neutral sites where no cameras could show any evidence.

Since it's all, "he said, she said", it's possible that none of them could ever win in court, so each of them took a sizable check for their troubles and silence. The fact that he "settled" with that many should be enough evidence to not use any "precedent" as a guide for the punishment as this case has no similar circumstances.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Counts. Number of counts. Number of alleged victims. Volume. Ray Rice only knocked out one girl in one elevator (that we know of). Had he knocked out 22 in 22 different elevators, then he would have been suspended for more games. Ray Rice did his thing where there was a camera. The predatory Watson knew there were cameras at massage parlors, so he always arranged for neutral sites where no cameras could show any evidence.

Since it's all, "he said, she said", it's possible that none of them could ever win in court, so each of them took a sizable check for their troubles and silence. The fact that he "settled" with that many should be enough evidence to not use any "precedent" as a guide for the punishment as this case has no similar circumstances.
    And I’m not arguing that, but that was all part of the case where it was ruled a 6 game suspension. Again the league has to show reason why that’s wrong beyond we think it should be more. They thought it should be more before and that wasn’t the ruling. So what are they going to say that they didn’t say before?

Turn Off Ads?