Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MLS 2022 season

MLS 2022 season

It starts in less than two weeks. Just read that Jozy Altidore is joining the Revs after two unproductive, injury filled campaigns with Toronto. Toronto don’t need him because they got Lorenzo Insigne to move from Napoli to Toronto. if he is healthy, he is still in his prime (30) and he might be unstoppable in MLS.
    Minnesota United signed Paraguayan (Amarillo) and Honduran (arriaga) national team forwards, but pulled the plug on two midfield vets. First game is 2/26 v Philly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLS 2022 season

I'm completely uninspired by the Jozy Altidore signing. Hope he stays glued to the bench.

Haven't looked, but has FCC done anything to be better than doormat? If baseball can't get its act together the door would be wide open for the local soccer team to win over fans.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm completely uninspired by the Jozy Altidore signing. Hope he stays glued to the bench.

Haven't looked, but has FCC done anything to be better than doormat? If baseball can't get its act together the door would be wide open for the local soccer team to win over fans.
    They got Charlotte FC coming in, whose coach has already said, "we're screwed," so at least FCC has a shot at not winning the wooden spoon this year.

The Crew have brought in some new players. We'll see if they are any good or not. The Crew whiffed on some of the guys they brought in last year.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    They got Charlotte FC coming in, whose coach has already said, "we're screwed," so at least FCC has a shot at not winning the wooden spoon this year.

The Crew have brought in some new players. We'll see if they are any good or not. The Crew whiffed on some of the guys they brought in last year.
    I don't understand teams that enter the league with an expansion mentality when so many have come in and jumped immediately to the front of the line. It's not like it's hard to find impact players from around the world (e.g. Armenia). There's a really big pool of talent from which to shop. So Charlotte entering with what profiles as a doormat or FCC being the absolute dregs for years on end is pretty inexcusable. Just try.

Columbus definitely is a team that profiles as due for an upswing after a down 2021. If Berry takes a step forward and Molino remembers he can score goals too, the Crew should be a tough team.

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-15-2022)

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/charl...endance-record

They now have the ticket revenue to go get that impact player.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Austin's started the season with 5-0 and 5-1 wins to start the season. It was over Cincinnati and Miami, which should have been relegated in more self-respecting league. So maybe Austin isn't an all-conquering force, but that's impressive even against bad teams.

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-07-2022)

Two Jimmi Charra bicycle kick goals in the first two games. Are you kidding me?
    I love Mo Salah, but Riyadh Mahrez is a better soccer player for me. It’s close but Mahrez is it. On a team with a number of beautiful footballers, he stands out.

11. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-07-2022)

Went to the Revs-Pumas game tonight, which turned into a tres a cero affair for the home team. New England thrashed them. First time I've been at a soccer game in the snow too. Pretty cool. The Revs, NYCFC and Seattle are all well positioned to progress to the semifinals, though never take a trip to Mexico for granted (this applies to both the Revs and Sounders). May be the best chance ever for an MLS team to win the modern version of the CCL.

13. Likes:

Betterread (03-10-2022)

Went to the Revs-Pumas game tonight, which turned into a tres a cero affair for the home team. New England thrashed them. First time I've been at a soccer game in the snow too. Pretty cool. The Revs, NYCFC and Seattle are all well positioned to progress to the semifinals, though never take a trip to Mexico for granted (this applies to both the Revs and Sounders). May be the best chance ever for an MLS team to win the modern version of the CCL.
    Big win for the club. Revs are well-constructed and their key players have performed as tactically needed. Deserved progress and hope for the ultimate goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Big win for the club. Revs are well-constructed and their key players have performed as tactically needed. Deserved progress and hope for the ultimate goal.
    Helps to have a human cheat code in Carles Gil.

Not in Foxborough tonight for the snowy clack between the Revs and RSL. Kinda jealous. Bet it's a blast.

Not in Foxborough tonight for the snowy clack between the Revs and RSL. Kinda jealous. Bet it's a blast.
    Carles Gil didn't seem to like it.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/this-...y-match-to-rea
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

18. Likes:

M2 (03-13-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Never should have pulled their Icelandic player. They gave away a clear Nordic advantage.

Austin's started the season with 5-0 and 5-1 wins to start the season. It was over Cincinnati and Miami, which should have been relegated in more self-respecting league. So maybe Austin isn't an all-conquering force, but that's impressive even against bad teams.
    Shutout in stormy Portland Saturday Night. Charra with a great Assist for a header in the 2nd Half and the only goal of the game,...and POR managed not to give up an extra-time goal.

Real soccer players love crappy rainy weather, just like real football players love playing in the snow.

Charra's personality has changed this season....for the good, as he's much more aggressive. But, it's also cost him five fouls already in 3 games this season. At this rate, he's going to get tossed soon.

Timbers is a great name for us. That 1905 cover photo is of my great-grandfather's mill in downtown (where the current bowling alley is at) Silverton, Oregon [home of Vince and Johnny Peskovich (Pesky)]. Vince, is about to celebrate his 100th birthday.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-14-2022 at 12:51 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

CCL rundown:

NYCFC advanced last night on road goals against Communicaciones (5-5 aggregate).

Montreal got bounced tonight by Cruz Azul (2-1 aggregate). Cruz Azul is probably the prohibitive favorite to win the tournament.

The Revs starting central defense is out against Pumas tonight. They are really trying to protect their backup defense. Pumas have clawed back a goal and now down 3-1. This is going to be twitchy.

Edit: The Revs blew it. Lost on penalties. Never bet against Mexican teams.
    Last edited by M2; 03-17-2022 at 12:34 AM.

Turn Off Ads?