Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: MLS 2022 season

Re: MLS 2022 season

Gyasi Zardes traded(sold?) from Columbus to Colorado. Good move for him. He wasn’t starting for Columbus. coming off a sub 10 goal year in 2021.
    Assuming Colorado acquired him to play, he starts, pushing Shinyashiki one player further down the depth chart. Shinyashiki’s days for Colorado must be numbered. I like his game. Could be a wise acquisition for a smart club.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Nice DEF Chicago.

"One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Seattle is about to become the first U.S., and first non-Mexican, team to win the CONCACAF Champions League. Very cool.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Seattle is about to become the first U.S., and first non-Mexican, team to win the CONCACAF Champions League. Very cool.
    It would be cooler if it wasn’t Seattle, if it was just about any other MLS club.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    It would be cooler if it wasn’t Seattle, if it was just about any other MLS club.
    I don't go for the whole "everybody hates Seattle" vibe. They put a good team on the field every year. They've never missed the playoffs. They've never had a negative goal differential. They've got a stacked trophy case. Their fans show up in big numbers. That is a first class organization. If anyone doesn't like Seattle, then do better than them. That goes for my team too.

It's probably the least surprising thing that they're the first MLS club to hoist the CCL trophy.

I don't go for the whole "everybody hates Seattle" vibe. They put a good team on the field every year. They've never missed the playoffs. They've never had a negative goal differential. They've got a stacked trophy case. Their fans show up in big numbers. That is a first class organization. If anyone doesn't like Seattle, then do better than them. That goes for my team too.

It's probably the least surprising thing that they're the first MLS club to hoist the CCL trophy.
    Agree. As a Galaxy fan the Seattle games are always one of the most anticipated match ups. Nothing but respect to that organization and their fans.

Very cool accomplishment.

8. Likes:

M2 (05-05-2022)

In the west, you have to play Seattle 2x a year and again in the playoffs. You have no idea what they are like if your team plays them every other year or whenever NE plays them.
    Seattle wins. They have proven over and over that they will do anything to win. Led by Lodeiro, they play with a lot of quality, but the reason I have a dislike for lodeiro in particular is that if you are winning or have an advantage on them, they will butcher you, they will flop and they work the refs hard, like Barca, all the time.
    Think of Chris Paul, but imagine he played for the Lakers. And Roldan is the Lodeiro mini-me, except he doesn’t have Lodeiro’s technical skills. But he thinks he does.
    I love Rudiaz though. If Seattle becomes his team, I might go from dislike to measured respect.
    So if you like winnning teams that do anything it takes to win, Seattle is your team.
    Last edited by Betterread; 05-05-2022 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    In the west, you have to play Seattle 2x a year and again in the playoffs. You have no idea what they are like if your team plays them every other year or whenever NE plays them.
    Seattle wins. They have proven over and over that they will do anything to win. Led by Lodeiro, they play with a lot of quality, but the reason I have a dislike for lodeiro in particular is that if you are winning or have an advantage on them, they will butcher you, they will flop and they work the refs hard, like Barca, all the time.
    Think of Chris Paul, but imagine he played for the Lakers. And Roldan is the Lodeiro mini-me, except he doesn’t have Lodeiro’s technical skills. But he thinks he does.
    I love Rudiaz though. If Seattle becomes his team, I might go from dislike to measured respect.
    So if you like winnning teams that do anything it takes to win, Seattle is your team.
    I get not digging that. Barca's definitely extra on that front, though that's not at the top of what irks me about them.

FC Cincinnati has won 3 in a row for the first time since joining MLS!

A potential answer to “where ya gonna go?”

12. Likes:

Betterread (05-08-2022),BuckeyeRed27 (05-08-2022),M2 (05-08-2022),membengal (05-08-2022),Yachtzee (05-08-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post

Great away win for Cincinnati, tough home loss for the loons. Cincinnati had effective attacks at various points throughout the match and earned the three points.

14. Likes:

Fil3232 (05-08-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post

Castellinis should have taken note when FCC was selling out USL matches at Nippert. There are quite a few people who used to live and die with the Reds that are now putting their time and money into FC Cincinnati or, like myself, Columbus Crew. In my closet, the most recent Reds item I own is a Barry Larkin jersey from 2000. I have 3 Crew jerseys and a recently acquired Joe Burrow Bengals jersey. Where we gonna go, Phil? We don't have to go anywhere. There are other Ohio sports teams that are at least making an effort to earn our loyalty and our disposable income.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

16. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (05-08-2022),Fil3232 (05-08-2022),M2 (05-08-2022),Roy Tucker (05-13-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Castellinis should have taken note when FCC was selling out USL matches at Nippert. There are quite a few people who used to live and die with the Reds that are now putting their time and money into FC Cincinnati or, like myself, Columbus Crew. In my closet, the most recent Reds item I own is a Barry Larkin jersey from 2000. I have 3 Crew jerseys and a recently acquired Joe Burrow Bengals jersey. Where we gonna go, Phil? We don't have to go anywhere. There are other Ohio sports teams that are at least making an effort to earn our loyalty and our disposable income.
    I caught the Crew on Saturday. Nice fight back. They saw Omar Gonzalez come in and went right at him. That's the sign of a smart team.

I think the dislike for Seattle comes less from the team itself and more from the arrogance of their supporters. In soccer message boards and social media, there's an ongoing meme of "Seattle invented. . . ." It comes from this general attitude that they don't respect what came before them. A classic example was when Columbus was hosting the US-Mexico World Cup Qualifier for the 2014 World Cup. At this point, Columbus had already established itself as the home of Dos-a-Cero and Columbus supporters were well-versed on how to host a qualifier. And yet, American Outlaws felt it was necessary to fly in a bunch of Seattle guys to "show us how it's done." Between that experience and part owner Drew Carey keeping quiet during the whole "Save The Crew" campaign, despite being an Ohio guy who dealt with losing the Browns, well, there isn't much love for the Sounders in Columbus. I think beating the Sounders in 2020 for the MLS Cup provided some measure of catharsis, so maybe the strong dislike has turned to a mild distaste. But still, there are other MLS expansion teams that have come in with amazing support and been successful without generating nearly as much antagonism.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I think the dislike for Seattle comes less from the team itself and more from the arrogance of their supporters. In soccer message boards and social media, there's an ongoing meme of "Seattle invented. . . ." It comes from this general attitude that they don't respect what came before them. A classic example was when Columbus was hosting the US-Mexico World Cup Qualifier for the 2014 World Cup. At this point, Columbus had already established itself as the home of Dos-a-Cero and Columbus supporters were well-versed on how to host a qualifier. And yet, American Outlaws felt it was necessary to fly in a bunch of Seattle guys to "show us how it's done." Between that experience and part owner Drew Carey keeping quiet during the whole "Save The Crew" campaign, despite being an Ohio guy who dealt with losing the Browns, well, there isn't much love for the Sounders in Columbus. I think beating the Sounders in 2020 for the MLS Cup provided some measure of catharsis, so maybe the strong dislike has turned to a mild distaste. But still, there are other MLS expansion teams that have come in with amazing support and been successful without generating nearly as much antagonism.
    My take on that as it was happening is Seattle exposed a lot of MLS 1.0 operations as sleepy backwater operations (and I'll volunteer the Revs as the most backwater of the bunch at that point in time). For whatever we want to say, Seattle set the model for other top flight operations. They never had an expansion team phase. They walked right to the front of the line, not just on the field, but in the stands as well. And I get why MLS fans who'd been there through the lean years felt slighted and thought Seattle was too full of itself.

But the hard pill to swallow was we all wanted to be what they were (and still are). The Sounders entering MLS kind of changed soccer in this nation. It was either get on their level or get left behind. Their hubris wasn't exactly misplaced. And they're probably going to be extra now that they've won the CCL.

20. Likes:

Fil3232 (05-08-2022)

I’ve watched more FC games this year than Reds game. Hell, I even watched their US Open match last round and look forward to Wednesday’s tilt against M2’s Revs!

22. Likes:

M2 (05-08-2022)

Turn Off Ads?