Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: MLS 2022 season

Re: MLS 2022 season

Miles Robinson done for the year. Brad Guzan done for the year. Ozzie Alonso done for the year. Josef Martinez still out with knee issues. You could put together a pretty good team starting w/ United guys who are on the shelf.

(JM walked right by me a couple of weeks ago at Hartsfield-Jackson. Took me a minute to realize who it was, and by then he was gone amid the sea of travelers.)

But if Cisneros can go hat trick in the first half of every game like he did vs Chicago, they’ll be alright. My favorite line after the recent thumping of Chicago: invading yankee arsonists don’t really catch us by surprise here any more.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I hope Cincinnati fans are enjoying this.

Only three teams have more wins than they do in the MSL. If they win again this weekend, it could be fewer than that.

The hardest thing to do is to figure out how to win. A draw is easy, but winning is hard.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Don't know if anyone saw today's single goal in the NYC/RBNY match, but RBNY's goalie had zero chance of preventing it because of the brilliant pass by Morales.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

WOW!

What a game between MIN and POR this afternoon in the searing heat.

6. Likes:

M2 (07-31-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    WOW!

What a game between MIN and POR this afternoon in the searing heat.
    Good comeback for the Timbers to earn a 4-4 draw after being down 1-3. Both defenses were so bad: one Minnesota goal the slow Cf picked up a loose ball at midfield and took it all the way to the box with no defender to beat and scored; and one Blanco goal and the Og from a blanco kick were both examples of the top offensive threat being let uncovered in the box - by at least five yards from my perspective. How do you lose track of the key guy so often?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Good comeback for the Timbers to earn a 4-4 draw after being down 1-3. Both defenses were so bad: one Minnesota goal the slow Cf picked up a loose ball at midfield and took it all the way to the box with no defender to beat and scored; and one Blanco goal and the Og from a blanco kick were both examples of the top offensive threat being let uncovered in the box - by at least five yards from my perspective. How do you lose track of the key guy so often?
    It was hot. The second half really showed it.

How good is this league really. A lot more Uruguayan players are going there and while the leagues In Uruguay have fallen down so far down then the 80s and 90s. They go here and Mexico more than I would prefer due to money. Instead of going to Portugal or The Dutch leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    How good is this league really. A lot more Uruguayan players are going there and while the leagues In Uruguay have fallen down so far down then the 80s and 90s. They go here and Mexico more than I would prefer due to money. Instead of going to Portugal or The Dutch leagues.
    It's all right, probably a just a notch below Portugal and the Dutchies. Might be deeper than those leagues, but can't match the upper end of teams like Ajax and Porto. MLS is becoming a decent stepping stone league for players who get there fairly young, and a nice landing spot for guys quality players who aren't going to take the world by storm. I definitely would expect Euro teams to eye Santi Rodriguez for a winter transfer.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It's all right, probably a just a notch below Portugal and the Dutchies. Might be deeper than those leagues, but can't match the upper end of teams like Ajax and Porto. MLS is becoming a decent stepping stone league for players who get there fairly young, and a nice landing spot for guys quality players who aren't going to take the world by storm. I definitely would expect Euro teams to eye Santi Rodriguez for a winter transfer.

Great info. I was not downgrading MLS either. If it was that easy you would see a lot of these European players dominating everything and they’re not. I want this league to be on par with the Top 5 in the world.

I am also stuck with the mentality that to be a better national team these players need to at least develop in Portugal and Netherlands which are very good leagues for development. Italy used to be THE league but man have they fallen since the 90s. I also think that some of these players like Cavani or their agents seem to be delusional in how much they should be paid.

Cavani had an offer from Villarreal. Perfect situation to help that team get into Top 4. But obviously you’re not going to be paid like you would before.

Yes Rodriguez like Diego Rossi who is doing ok at Fernabachi looks good. I had higher hopes for the other Player Brian Rodriguez who was Rossi teammate. He seems though to have stalled.

1. MLS Ranking: The target for MLS is Liga MX. Recently, Liga MX President Arriola spoke to ESPN about his “worry” that MLS will pass his league for investment and player development. I watch some Liga MX matches and from an eye test, that league seems to have a higher standard of techinical ability and stronger tactical play than MLS. But they have lots of trouble with fan violence. I am really impressed at the positive atmosphere of MLS games. It is so much more relaxed and healthy that the vibe in Europe and South America. MLS teams have supporters groups, and they mostly mimic British and Mexican supporter rituals, but they leave out a really important thing: the violent conflicts with opposing supporters. I have not seen any fights or violence at any MLS match I have attended. This is a polar opposite to the NFL where fan violence is endemic. And another key positive about MLS is the parity. The biggest city teams Do not always dominate. Texas and California have not had a champion in a long time, for example.
    As for the other nations you mention, I don’t know much about The league in Uruguay, I have only heard of the Montevideo teams, Nacional and penarol. It is my limited understanding that top players play in Argentina, but also in Europe - Damien Suarez of Getafe is one.
    The Portuguese league is a lot higher ranked than the Eredivisie ( only one club, Ajax is good in Holland). The Portuguese league is just out of the top five leagues and is close to Russia and Ukraine, while the Dutch league is next tier, close to Belgium and Turkey.

2. Uruguay Talent. Much more talent than USA. You have historically produced a steady mix of talented goal scorers and tenacious defenders and defensive midfielders. But in MLS some of the best creative midfielders are from Uruguay - Santiago Rodriguez from NYC (current cup holders), and Diego Fagundez, Austin’s top playmaker ( born in Uruguay and played for Uru’s u-20 team, even though his whole career is in USA).
    Last edited by Betterread; 08-05-2022 at 12:03 PM.

13. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (08-05-2022)

Betterread, enjoy the All-Star game. I assume you are going.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Betterread, enjoy the All-Star game. I assume you are going.
    Will miss it. On a family vacation during that time. Lots of interesting stuff going on around the game. For example, the all star game jersey for MLS looks kind of like the old Loons Uniform.

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-05-2022)

1. MLS Ranking: The target for MLS is Liga MX. Recently, Liga MX President Arriola spoke to ESPN about his “worry” that MLS will pass his league for investment and player development. I watch some Liga MX matches and from an eye test, that league seems to have a higher standard of techinical ability and stronger tactical play than MLS. But they have lots of trouble with fan violence. I am really impressed at the positive atmosphere of MLS games. It is so much more relaxed and healthy that the vibe in Europe and South America. MLS teams have supporters groups, and they mostly mimic British and Mexican supporter rituals, but they leave out a really important thing: the violent conflicts with opposing supporters. I have not seen any fights or violence at any MLS match I have attended. This is a polar opposite to the NFL where fan violence is endemic. And another key positive about MLS is the parity. The biggest city teams Do not always dominate. Texas and California have not had a champion in a long time, for example.
    As for the other nations you mention, I don’t know much about The league in Uruguay, I have only heard of the Montevideo teams, Nacional and penarol. It is my limited understanding that top players play in Argentina, but also in Europe - Damien Suarez of Getafe is one.
    The Portuguese league is a lot higher ranked than the Eredivisie ( only one club, Ajax is good in Holland). The Portuguese league is just out of the top five leagues and is close to Russia and Ukraine, while the Dutch league is next tier, close to Belgium and Turkey.

2. Uruguay Talent. Much more talent than USA. You have historically produced a steady mix of talented goal scorers and tenacious defenders and defensive midfielders. But in MLS some of the best creative midfielders are from Uruguay - Santiago Rodriguez from NYC (current cup holders), and Diego Fagundez, Austin’s top playmaker ( born in Uruguay and played for Uru’s u-20 team, even though his whole career is in USA).
    Good stuff.

I was hoping Luis would go to Miami. I understood why he went to Nacional though.

Before 1978. Brazil and Uruguay had won more WC and Copa America combined. Then Argentina blew by Uruguay and started producing better WC results up until 2010 and started producing more internationals by a lot.

The right wing military juntas worked well for them. Even with hyper inflation. Not for Uruguay.

Good stuff.

I was hoping Luis would go to Miami. I understood why he went to Nacional though.

Before 1978. Brazil and Uruguay had won more WC and Copa America combined. Then Argentina blew by Uruguay and started producing better WC results up until 2010 and started producing more internationals by a lot.

The right wing military juntas worked well for them. Even with hyper inflation. Not for Uruguay.
    My favorite Uruguayan player of all time is still Alvaro Recoba. He played with Ronaldo at Internazionale. He even debuted with phenomeneo and scored twice in that debut game.

19. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (08-08-2022)

My favorite Uruguayan player of all time is still Alvaro Recoba. He played with Ronaldo at Internazionale. He even debuted with phenomeneo and scored twice in that debut game.

Alvaro had the talent to be as good as Raul. He was the bad time poster player for Uruguayan soccer in the 90s and early 2000s.
    Great player when he wanted to be. Played when he wanted to. Would get hurt. Frustrating player.

Uruguay could not beat out Bolivia for the last spot in 94 WC. Did not make it in 1998. They were even worse. Ranked in the 40s. Finally made it back in 2002. Bounced after they could not bear Senegal. We’re down 3-0. Came back with a young Forlan made a great golazo. Then Rodriguez misses an open header.

Then in 2006 they had to go to the playoffs again. Against Australia again.
    Recoba says. Uruguay going to the WC is our destiny. Pure arrogance and the bad attitude that was formed with an agent who ran Uruguay NT selections. Pablo Casal. Total slime if an agent.
    Would eat their words by losing at Australia in the 2nd game during Penalty kicks.

They did a Das Boot German NT style after that.

Tabarez came in and redid the whole system. Got rid of the bad actors like Recoba. Underperforming Dario Silva. Among others.

Brought Forlan into the team more. Diego Lugano. Players who wanted to play. Not just get paid.

Turn Off Ads?