Turn Off Ads?
Page 54 of 59 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758 ... LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Bengals Offseason Thread: Protect Joe Burrow

Re: Cincinnati Bengals Offseason Thread: Protect Joe Burrow

Bengals went through a surprisingly good period of drafting OL 1996-2014 with Willie, Levi, Steinbach, Whitworth, Zeitler etc.

However beginning in 2015, everything went wildly downhill and they’ve been literally the worst team in the league at doing it for the last seven years. Ogbuehi, Fisher, Price, Bodine, Jordan, Adeniji, and Carman. It’s so, so bad. Hopefully they’ve learned their lesson and will continue to sign FA OL from outside the organization, as they did this offseason, until they can figure out how to properly identify, draft and develop them. Fortunately for us, OL is a pretty cost effective option in FA.

Carman, like John Ross, was a terrible draft pick from the moment he was selected. Everyone knew it, except for the Bengals. Possibly except for Mike Brown. By most accounts both of those picks were purely MB and MB alone.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Likes:

Boss-Hog (08-17-2022),RiverRat13 (08-17-2022),Tony Cloninger (08-17-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Carman, like John Ross, was a terrible draft pick from the moment he was selected. Everyone knew it, except for the Bengals. Possibly except for Mike Brown. By most accounts both of those picks were purely MB and MB alone.
    Yes. He, or they, heavily relied on Paul Alexander and Willie Anderson's opinion of Carman, as they'd both worked with him before the draft. Alexander, of course, was fired as Bengals OL coach, primarily due to whiffing on the Cedric Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher picks. As far as I'm concerned, they're getting exactly what they deserve for relying on the opinion of an OL coach they had to fire over their current one.

5. Likes:

RiverRat13 (08-17-2022),Tony Cloninger (08-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'm of this opinion, too. As Boss, says we know MB was listening to Paul Alexander and Big Willie. But the Carman pick is the one big outlier of the Zac Taylor era as far as culture goes. Zac has taken guys who were team captains and showed great character in college. Carman is neither of those.

7. Likes:

Boss-Hog (08-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I'm of this opinion, too. As Boss, says we know MB was listening to Paul Alexander and Big Willie. But the Carman pick is the one big outlier of the Zac Taylor era as far as culture goes. Zac has taken guys who were team captains and showed great character in college. Carman is neither of those.
    I think Carman being both a local kid and top tier recruit also had something to do with him being so high on their radar.

The thing now is how long will they suffer with this pick? Rather than play him and pay a further price on the field, they need to cut their losses and waive him. Don't compound your mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I think Carman being both a local kid and top tier recruit also had something to do with him being so high on their radar.
    I think Carman being a local kid absolutely played into this pick.

Carman also has/had all the tools to be a great player. Hew as the #2 ranked OLineman in his class. But he has always seemed like that player where there is a disconnect between his skills and his performance.

He was a boom or bust pick, if you maximized his talent you had a start at T for a decade, if you didn't then you may have a swing OLineman on his rookie contract.

Taking a step back for a moment, has there ever been a better time than right now to be a Bengals fan?
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

12. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (08-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Taking a step back for a moment, has there ever been a better time than right now to be a Bengals fan?

There’s a few but my first.
    After 1973. Young Ken Anderson. Issac Curtis. Youngest playoff team average. Bill Bergey at MLB. Ken Riley. Lemar Parrish. Tommy Casanova. In prime Mike Reid 2 time PB before he decides to go FT country music writer.

2 almost 1000 yard rushing seasons for Essex Johnson and another good rookie Boobie Clark.

Then the WFL happens and Bergey upsets Paul Brown enough to trade him. The strike of 1974 left bad feelings with players and very hard line Paul Brown. They go 7-7 losing 3 games in the last 1 minute or less and go from Top 6 defense to a big hole at…..MLB.

They recovered in 75 to go 11-3. Then of course. Walsh left. They go 10-4 but offense regression and the trade of Charlie Joiner. They had about 8 picks in the first 3 rounds because of the Bergey and Mike Boryla QB trade. But Archie Griffin and Billy Brooks were barely average.

Only good player who lasted more than 4 years was Reggie Williams.

14. Likes:

Bob Sheed (08-17-2022)

This is probably the best position this club has been in since Paul Brown passed away.

16. Likes:

Hoosier Red (08-19-2022),Tony Cloninger (08-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The thing now is how long will they suffer with this pick? Rather than play him and pay a further price on the field, they need to cut their losses and waive him. Don't compound your mistakes
    If they didn't waive him after the press about what happened at Clemson they are not waiving him now...he will be a rotational depth piece that they continue to try and develop. He fixed his conditioning which was a huge issue from last season now its about cleaning up his technique which is abysmal.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

18. Likes:

Hoosier Red (08-19-2022)

Volson looked good Friday.

And you see video of him working 1 on 1 with La'El. I've yet to see any video of Carman working out after practice with other players, maybe coaches.

But at this point, it's Volson's job to lose.

No. Coming off a SB appearance with at least a decade plus (hopefully) with Joey B and Jamarr, by far the two best players they’ve ever had at (arguably) the two most important (definitely most exciting) positions in the sport? No way.
    Go BLUE!!!

FWIW Carmen was running with the 3rd stringers yesterday, not a positive sign.

Burrow should set all the franchise records at QB, but man it would have been fun to see what Boomer could do in today's era. Lets see if Burrow can win a MVP like Boomer did.

Nice thing is, the league protects QBs now more than ever before.

Except for that whole rookie season thing.

Durability is a question mark for me, but that's the only gotcha I see. Not getting pummeled 40 times a game will go a long way there.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

If you were pro-Volson from the draft like I was, this has all been quite a good set of developments frankly.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

24. Likes:

Redsfaithful (08-19-2022)

Turn Off Ads?