Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Bengals Offseason Thread: Protect Joe Burrow

Re: Cincinnati Bengals Offseason Thread: Protect Joe Burrow

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    That's fine. Be prepared to suffer somehwere else. He was playing no where near his contract for vast majority of the season. can't let a few games blind you to his value to the team. I think we have a lot of recency bias going on. If we don't make the playoffs, most are saying he's not worth it. I just feel like we get so emotionally wrapped up in some of our players that we often inflate how good they are.
    His playoff performance is part of the picture though, it shouldn't be discounted or dismissed.

The guy that hurts from an emotional point of view is probably Uzomah. I think it was Liscow on Twitter who was talking about how good Burrow is from 10-19 yards down the field and middle of the field. They need a high end TE to really take advantage of that.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?

That's fine. Be prepared to suffer somehwere else. He was playing no where near his contract for vast majority of the season. can't let a few games blind you to his value to the team. I think we have a lot of recency bias going on. If we don't make the playoffs, most are saying he's not worth it. I just feel like we get so emotionally wrapped up in some of our players that we often inflate how good they are.
    I think it's a fair point that he did not play up to expectations the majority of the year however if your going to make that point you can't throw out 2020 where he graded out 1st at his position according to PFF. Is he the best in the league no...but he is not asking to be paid like that either. I think the Bengals tag or sign him to a 4 yr deal.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    His playoff performance is part of the picture though, it shouldn't be discounted or dismissed.

The guy that hurts from an emotional point of view is probably Uzomah. I think it was Liscow on Twitter who was talking about how good Burrow is from 10-19 yards down the field and middle of the field. They need a high end TE to really take advantage of that.
    Meh. Bates' named wasn't mentioned once in the KC game until his deflection that led to an INT in OT. Again, I'm not saying his playoff performance should be dismissed. But I think it's worth noting that not many would say he's worth his contract if it weren't for the playoffs. I think people over-inflate playoff performances because it's a SSS. We've had multiple conversations on here throughout the year about Bates' worth until the playoffs. He underperformed most of the year as a whole.

Time will tell.

I thought this stat was amazing:

Had the Bengals missed the playoffs, Bates would’ve entered the offseason after not playing his best. PFF graded him with a 56.2 during the regular season. The perception of the soon-to-be 25-year-old would be vastly different had he not strung together a tremendous stretch of postseason games. He had more interceptions (2) and passes defensed (6) in the playoffs than he had in the entire regular season, which seems to validate the jump in grade.
    https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/2/1...ng-playoff-run

Nice, get it sold out and loud for the season. Will mean less yellow and black for the Steelers and less visiting fans in general, which is great.
    Don’t bengals fans sell these tickets to Steelers fans because it’s too much cash to pass up?

He was the best defender for a Super Bowl team, and by the way the last three games are the ones that mattered. After so many years of having players and teams not show up in big games, we have someone show up big, and he isn't worth it because he had a ok regular season which is an anomaly, if you look at his other seasons. This man needs to be paid, and it doesnt mean you have to suffer somewhere else. He was playing no where near what contract the one that was 4yrs and less than5million in money. He definitely lived up to that contract.
    Last edited by Rdirtypirates; 02-24-2022 at 04:46 PM.

I think OJ Howard would fit in nicely in this offense. I would hate to lose CJ, but I think his price will not be commiserate to his output.

I’m in a Bengals Facebook group and they are pretty emotionally attached to Uzomah calling him the heart and soul of the team.

Sorry but from a business decision I think he needs to walk. There’s other options available and making emotional decisions based on this Super Bowl run would set this team back to the 90s again.

If Uzomah does walk three options I’d like to see:

1. Mike Gesicki (not a blocker but a receiving threat who could line up as a WR)

2. Jalen Wydermyer
    3. Any or Jeremy Ruckert, Jake Ferguson, or Cole Turner
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Bengals being linked to another FA lineman Bozeman from the Ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I’m in a Bengals Facebook group and they are pretty emotionally attached to Uzomah calling him the heart and soul of the team.

Sorry but from a business decision I think he needs to walk. There’s other options available and making emotional decisions based on this Super Bowl run would set this team back to the 90s again.

If Uzomah does walk three options I’d like to see:

1. Mike Gesicki (not a blocker but a receiving threat who could line up as a WR)
    2. Jalen Wydermyer
    3. Any or Jeremy Ruckert, Jake Ferguson, or Cole Turner
    Uzomah is going to have a limited market I could see him coming back at a reasonable cost to the team. The Bengals always put numbers on guys…I would imagine they would offer a 3 year deal at around 7 per…

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Don’t bengals fans sell these tickets to Steelers fans because it’s too much cash to pass up?
    that's fine, paying more than box office will still result in fewer coming over
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Bengals being linked to another FA lineman Bozeman from the Ravens.
    From the guys on Twitter who know more football than me, Bozeman was a great pass protector last year but his lack of athleticism makes him a poor fit for the Bengals wide zone running scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    From the guys on Twitter who know more football than me, Bozeman was a great pass protector last year but his lack of athleticism makes him a poor fit for the Bengals wide zone running scheme.
    Can play Guard or Center has improved as a blocker each year, doesn’t miss games. He fits what the Bengals like to do in FA. It’s fun to see us be linked to FA’s.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Uzomah is going to have a limited market I could see him coming back at a reasonable cost to the team. The Bengals always put numbers on guys…I would imagine they would offer a 3 year deal at around 7 per…
    Ian Thomas, who is bad, just got a pretty big contract. If that's the market for TEs, I have a hard time seeing Uzomah back unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Ian Thomas, who is bad, just got a pretty big contract. If that's the market for TEs, I have a hard time seeing Uzomah back unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep Carolina just reset the market with that contract...ball is in CJ's court now.

Turn Off Ads?