Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 59 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Bengals Offseason Thread: Protect Joe Burrow

Re: Cincinnati Bengals Offseason Thread: Protect Joe Burrow

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    Can play Guard or Center has improved as a blocker each year, doesnÂ’t miss games. He fits what the Bengals like to do in FA. ItÂ’s fun to see us be linked to FAÂ’s.
    ...doesn't commit penalties,...11th highest overall grade among Centers last season,...the right age where he can be an effective Starter for the next 7 seasons, gave up only 2 sacks last season, steals an asset from a Division Rival, knows the Baltimore Defensive scheme better than anyone currently on the Bengals which is a fantastic asset to have for the Center of your team,...can get him for 4 years, somewhere between $26M-$36M, leaving plenty of room to get a RG identical to him for the same price. LT's in drafts are a premium. RT's are not. They also get paid in FA half as much. They fall to the bottom of the 1st Rd and into the 2nd Round. The RT we take with our 1st RD pick can start out at RG and move over whenever injuries or performance dictate a move to do so. So, adding the BAL C, an equal RG, our 1st pick being a RT, our hurt RT coming back, and that should be all we need for completely revamping the OL. We still have last year's drafted G, last year's LG FA, and of course our LT.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Ian Thomas, who is bad, just got a pretty big contract. If that's the market for TEs, I have a hard time seeing Uzomah back unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To say, "Ian Thomas is bad", is a statement made by someone who only looks at his football card.

Last time I looked, a TE is as much, if not more, a blocker, than a Receiver. Carolina understands this and paid Hunter, one of the best blocking TE's in the NFL, the money he deserved. Carolina also needs to improve their Offensive Line as it took a huge hit the last couple of years in FA. If you didn't notice, George Kittle spent most of last season, blocking, not running pass-patterns. That only went up in the playoffs as he was rarely thrown to. For any team that wants to emphasize the run, then the TE's #1 duty, #2 duty and #3 duty, is to block. Whenever a TE is drafted in the NFL, he spends his entire first season learning how to block. He doesn't focus on pass patterns until his second season, which is why they dont' start being effective as a Receiver until his 3rd season as he needs to prove that he's effective as a blocker AND pass-protector (the things a TE does to pass-protect), first and foremost. Carolina is a run-first team with a lot of short passes and screens. They need a very good blocking TE to run it.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    To say, "Ian Thomas is bad", is a statement made by someone who only looks at his football card.

Last time I looked, a TE is as much, if not more, a blocker, than a Receiver. Carolina understands this and paid Hunter, one of the best blocking TE's in the NFL, the money he deserved. Carolina also needs to improve their Offensive Line as it took a huge hit the last couple of years in FA. If you didn't notice, George Kittle spent most of last season, blocking, not running pass-patterns. That only went up in the playoffs as he was rarely thrown to. For any team that wants to emphasize the run, then the TE's #1 duty, #2 duty and #3 duty, is to block. Whenever a TE is drafted in the NFL, he spends his entire first season learning how to block. He doesn't focus on pass patterns until his second season, which is why they dont' start being effective as a Receiver until his 3rd season as he needs to prove that he's effective as a blocker AND pass-protector (the things a TE does to pass-protect), first and foremost. Carolina is a run-first team with a lot of short passes and screens. They need a very good blocking TE to run it.
    It's a statement made by somebody who actually pays attention. Ian Thomas graded out at 52.1 on PFF, good for 69 of 73 TEs. He's a decent pass blocker, a bad run blocker, and a terrible receiver. If the Bengals gave that contract to Drew Sample we would all be confused for good reason.

It's a terrible contract, and CJ's agent had to be thrilled to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    It's a statement made by somebody who actually pays attention. Ian Thomas graded out at 52.1 on PFF, good for 69 of 73 TEs. He's a decent pass blocker, a bad run blocker, and a terrible receiver. If the Bengals gave that contract to Drew Sample we would all be confused for good reason.

It's a terrible contract, and CJ's agent had to be thrilled to see it.

Agreed he is now the 16th highest paid TE in the league...not sure what the Panthers were thinking on this deal. Uzomah will be pushing into the 8 million per season realm which may be high for the Bengals.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

6. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (02-26-2022)

Here’s my mock assuming the Bengals take care of the O-line in FA:
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Just saw the Saints picked up a London game.

I really hope the NFL doesn’t screw Louisiana residents out of Burrow and Chases homecoming.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

9. Likes:

Todd Gack (02-28-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Just saw the Saints picked up a London game.

I really hope the NFL doesn’t screw Louisiana residents out of Burrow and Chases homecoming.
    The NFL knows better.

IMO, the best thing we can pickup in FA outside of a quality OL is a pass catching TE. The offense would be lethal and would make the departure of Boyd a little softer when he leaves.

Pac-Man Jones said he has heard Ryan Jensen to the Bengals…not sure who his source is but I would take Jensen on a 3 yr deal.

He read it in PFF which had an article projecting landing spots and contracts for free agents. He won’t admit it, but that’s what happened. He has no source.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    He read it in PFF which had an article projecting landing spots and contracts for free agents. He won’t admit it, but that’s what happened. He has no source.
    I saw that on twitter as well....I can just imagine PacMan up late partying at 3am reading PFF in an alcohol induced haze and then forgetting the source the next day due to the loss of brain cells. Uhhh it was a little birdy....

I know Baltimore supposedly wants Jensen back bad which is why they are willing to let Bozeman walk...

Already seeing Buckeye fans pushing for the Bengals to trade Tyler Boyd and take or trade up for Chris Olave after the combine yesterday. Seems like homers come out in full force every year for the Buckeyes come draft time.

I have zero doubt Olave will be at minimum a quality starter in the NFL with a pro bowl ceiling. That said, the Bengals have other needs than wide receiver to take anyone in the first three rounds if any.

I have seen Munford mocked to us in a few drafts but later around Rd 3...he was the 1st OSU guy that I saw connected.

Bengals met with a few lineman yesterday notably Sean Ryhan from UCLA and Jamaree Salyer from GA...both stated they were happy with how the Bengals approached each interview.

Cincinnati Bengals Offseason Thread: Protect Joe Burrow

Good news is that Tyler Linderbaums hands measured well below average which is causing his draft stock to fall. He could be there when they pick at 31.

Salyer projects more as a guard at the next level and Lance Zierlein is comparing him to Quentin Spain. Rhyan looks promising as a RT prospect but could be kicked inside.

I’d rather take someone who is going to stay on the outside. We already have one who has been talked about being moved inside even when they were drafted (Jonah).
    Last edited by WVRed; 03-04-2022 at 12:29 PM.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Lots of WR's I like this year. Alec Pierce really surprised me yesterday. Christian Watson is an intriguing prospect. Still, it's a position way down the list IMO. If they upgrade the O-line via FA, then I'd prioritize CB>DL>TE=S in the draft.

My 1st round targets at #31 (post Day 1):

OL Zion Johnson
    OL Trevor Penning
    OL Bernhard Raimann
    TE Trey McBride
    DL Travon Walker
    DL DeMarvin Leal
    CB Trent McDuffie
    CB Kyler Gordon
    CB Roger McCreary
    CB Andrew Booth Jr.
    CB Kaiir Elam
    CB Derion Kendrick

Linderbaum would be perfect, but I have a hard time seeing him fall to 31, even for a center prospect.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Turn Off Ads?