Turn Off Ads?
Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 313738394041

Thread: 2022 Ohio State Football

Re: 2022 Ohio State Football

This game reminded me so much of a million classic pre-Burrow-Bengals vs Steelers games.

OSU driving on offense, about to put it away for the W.
    Georgia knocks out OSU's star WR on a dirty hit.
    Officials and commentators see nothing wrong. "Just good ole fashioned hard-nosed SEC football."
    Georgia takes a slim lead and closes out the win against a diminished OSU offense.
    Then, to add insult to injury, the post-game narrative is "well, Georgia just played a more physical game... "

As a Bengals fan, that whole 4th Quarter on into the post-game commentary, was one big deja vu. Only thing missing were the yellow towels. OSU got hosed, big time. And I say that as someone who is not an OSU fan.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

2. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (01-01-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Very entertaining game. Two excellent teams with great confidence (except for the kickers). Tough loss for OSU, I’m sure they thought the game was over earlier in the fourth Q.

On the Harrison hit:
    1. QB’s pass left the receiver defenseless. He has to get that ball up higher so the receiver has to jump high to even reach it. If he throws that kind of ball, the DBs have to jump as well and if they play the body with a big hit, they’ll give up a first and goal penalty.
    2. Receiver stepped out and the referees missed it. He should have been ineligible.
    3. The hit I saw was not as bad this board makes it out. Led with his shoulder and hit the receiver under the shoulder. Maybe the impact drove the shoulder up but the hit was aimed at the upper torso, not head and shoulders. It the call stood, it would have been a bad call versus Georgia.

The game ending.
    1. After the great run by Stroud, OSU only needed 5 yards. They didn’t block well enough to do that.
    2. Kicker totally choked. That was a nervous, weak kick. He looked unprepared.
    Last edited by Betterread; 01-01-2023 at 01:34 PM.

The Wade targeting penalty was an atrocious call. Lawrence ducked into it. Ohio State was absolutely robbed that night by an overly aggressive SEC replay official inserting himself into the game on two key plays where he had no business doing so. Last night was nowhere near as bad as that game. I struggle to understand how Harrison was concussed if it was truly shoulder to shoulder contact, but it was really close.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It doesn't matter what I think. It was reviewed by several officials and in their judgment it was not targeting. I tend to agree with them but I could see it going either way. The officiating expert on ESPN also did not think it was targeting. Hear his opinion at the 1:20 point in this short video:

So no, I don't agree with you. I agree with the officials who ruled on this play and with the rules analyst on ESPN
    Oh thank you for sharing the clip. I hadn’t seen it before. That changes everything.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Oh thank you for sharing the clip. I hadn’t seen it before. That changes everything.
    Well, except for the self pity at the heart of the whole thing. That rant was over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Well, except for the self pity at the heart of the whole thing. That rant was over the top.
    Huh?

Losing Harrison obviously hurt; but if he hadn't, that was not a guarantee the Bucks would have won. Your defense, which played pretty solid most of the game, gave up 18 points in the 4Q, while theirs only allowed 3. That's primarily why they lost (imo). But they played one heck of a game.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-02-2023 at 01:02 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

10. Likes:

Sea Ray (01-02-2023)

I think if Harrison doesn’t get hurt they absolutely win.

Oh well, it is what it is. Need to get better for next year anyways, probably didn’t deserve to be in position to win a title anyways if we are being honest. It just wouldn’t have felt right after getting destroyed by Michigan at home.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Kirk Herbstreit broke the news this morning that Ryan Day is stepping down from playcalling duties.

That is great news IMHO. The offense looked great against Georgia Saturday night but looked awful against Michigan and whenever OSU gets in trouble with teams you can tell the lack of a head coach with a feel for the game hurts them. Will be interesting to see who is going to be calling plays.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

13. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (01-02-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Kirk Herbstreit broke the news this morning that Ryan Day is stepping down from playcalling duties.

That is great news IMHO. The offense looked great against Georgia Saturday night but looked awful against Michigan and whenever OSU gets in trouble with teams you can tell the lack of a head coach with a feel for the game hurts them. Will be interesting to see who is going to be calling plays.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's Hartline with a promotion. Could be why he didn't go for the UC job. They need to figure out how to keep him around as long as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's Hartline with a promotion. Could be why he didn't go for the UC job. They need to figure out how to keep him around as long as possible

Might be better to get an experienced offensive coordinator to do it. Not saying anything bad about Hartline but if Day is feeling heat it may be better to not give a job like that to someone who hasn’t called plays before.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I think if Harrison doesn’t get hurt they absolutely win.

Oh well, it is what it is. Need to get better for next year anyways, probably didn’t deserve to be in position to win a title anyways if we are being honest. It just wouldn’t have felt right after getting destroyed by Michigan at home.
    Somehow I would have figured out how to enjoy it even with the Michigan loss .

It's not a lock that they win that game with Harrison, but it's about 95%. OSU was the better team. Even Stover would have made a big difference. It's not a coincidence that the offense went from unstoppable to pedestrian as soon as Harrison left.

Assuming Georgia wins next Monday, a key part of both national titles would have been the star opposing receiver getting knocked out with injury. They couldn't cover Jameson Williams or Harrison

17. Likes:

Sea Ray (01-02-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Might be better to get an experienced offensive coordinator to do it. Not saying anything bad about Hartline but if Day is feeling heat it may be better to not give a job like that to someone who hasn’t called plays before.
    Possibly. I'd be fine with an outside guy, but Day is still going to have a ton of input no matter who takes over. I think it could be an ideal spot for Hartline to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Losing Harrison obviously hurt; but if he hadn't, that was not a guarantee the Bucks would have won. Your defense, which played pretty solid most of the game, gave up 18 points in the 4Q, while theirs only allowed 3. That's primarily why they lost (imo). But they played one heck of a game.
    I’m happy to say it was a guarantee. It changed everything about how OSU played offense and more importantly how Georgia played defense.

20. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (01-02-2023)

Agree. It’s very hard to do both jobs. It will probably help Day to have a bit more of a 30k foot view and not be lost in thr minutiae of play calling.

I do hope it’s an outside person. Hartline isn’t ready for that and with Wilson gone no one else internally is an obvious choice.

Turn Off Ads?