Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Ohio State Football

Re: 2022 Ohio State Football

If the Buckeyes lose this game I think Day should officially be on the hot seat. They look like absolute trash.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Very good defensive effort.

OSU is going to see a ton of 2-high this year. Day is going to have to make himself run the ball on early downs.

I give credit to ND's head coach Freeman and defensive coordinator, who came into this game with a solid scheme. Fortunately, Day was able to make adjustments for the second half.

First game vs a worthy opponent. It was an ugly win, but they toughed it out vs the #5 team in the nation. I swear, many OSU fans get their shorts in a bunch when they aren't wiping the field with their opponent and beating them by 30+ points (lol). You sound like the ESPN article this morning by Heather Dinich, who was already casting doubts on Ohio State CFP chances because they didn't reach her "loft expectations" in the first game. I got tired off hearing her comparing - "This is how Ohio State did last year ... and this is what they did last night." Give it a rest lady.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...uckeyes-needed

Defense was a sore spot for Ohio State last year. They gave up last night a total of 10 pts (1 TD), and shut the Irish out the entire second half (when most D's start to tire). That defense last night played with fire. We basically wore the Irish down in the second half. The Irish managed just 253 yards vs the Buck's 395, and the Irish punted on their last six possessions.

Obviously not their best performance, the offense was a little rusty in the opening game; but a gritty win (by 11 points).
    Last edited by GAC; 09-04-2022 at 07:13 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

5. Likes:

goreds2 (09-05-2022),jimbo (09-05-2022),redsfandan (09-04-2022),Roy Tucker (09-04-2022)

It was a super fun game to be at. It was loud and the crowd was into super into it.

Defense was awesome, nice to have one of those again. Even most of the yards ND did get came on kinda flukey plays like that juggling catch or Proctor being a moron and turning a 2 yard catch into a 60 yard catch.

It’s easy to complain about the offense, but I thought ND was doing a good job early with their looks and had Stroud a little off. But back to back clutch 90 yard plus drives with a good combination of pass and run is great. I’m sure the offense will click and hopefully JSN is back soon.

Happy for Xavier Johnson. I loved when he caught that TD and then on the kickoff gets down and makes a solo tackle at the 10 yard line. Perfect.

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-04-2022),GAC (09-04-2022),Roy Tucker (09-04-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    It was a super fun game to be at. It was loud and the crowd was into super into it.

Defense was awesome, nice to have one of those again. Even most of the yards ND did get came on kinda flukey plays like that juggling catch or Proctor being a moron and turning a 2 yard catch into a 60 yard catch.

It’s easy to complain about the offense, but I thought ND was doing a good job early with their looks and had Stroud a little off. But back to back clutch 90 yard plus drives with a good combination of pass and run is great. I’m sure the offense will click and hopefully JSN is back soon.

Happy for Xavier Johnson. I loved when he caught that TD and then on the kickoff gets down and makes a solo tackle at the 10 yard line. Perfect.
    Night games are crazy at the Shoe. Especially now that they sell beer. A friend offered a ticket to me but my old bones have sat on those aluminum backless benches too many times. I watched it from my family room with cold beer in the fridge.

ND played well and a combination of their excellent defensive schemes, JSN getting hurt, and the inexperience of other receivers worked well for 3 quarters. It was good to see the offensive line assert itself on those 2 last TD drives and turn into road graders. You could almost see the dawning OSU realization that it’s vaunted aerial circus was out of whack and plain old 3 yards and a cloud of dust was necessary to win the game.

Now they get to play a couple easier games to get their passing offense in sync. It looks like it needs some work.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

9. Likes:

goreds2 (09-05-2022)

I know Julian Fleming hasn't been what everybody was hoping, but he also missed last night. So it wasn't just JSN. They were missing 2 of their 3 starting WRs. Yes there's a lot of talent behind them, but it's still going to have a big impact. The other guys don't have as strong a connection yet with Stroud. The timing was just a bit off all night. That'll get cleaned up.

It certainly wasn't a good performance, but it was a great one to learn from. They faced a great defensive gameplan and still won. I think they wanted to show what a high powered offense they can be, but ND just wouldn't let them. But they proved they can win in more ways than last year, and that's encouraging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have a massive offensive line and two highly talented running backs. If the defense is legit, they’ve gotta lean more into the ground game to compliment the defense.

It’s only one game, but if I were a betting man I wouldn’t wager Notre Dame will be in the top ten at the end of the season. They’re solid, but seem to lack the playmakers to beat really good teams…

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    If the Buckeyes lose this game I think Day should officially be on the hot seat. They look like absolute trash.
    This is silly imo

12. Likes:

GAC (09-06-2022),Rdirtypirates (09-10-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    They have a massive offensive line and two highly talented running backs. If the defense is legit, they’ve gotta lean more into the ground game to compliment the defense.

It’s only one game, but if I were a betting man I wouldn’t wager Notre Dame will be in the top ten at the end of the season. They’re solid, but seem to lack the playmakers to beat really good teams…

- - - Updated - - -

This is silly imo
    If they lose to UM he will absolutely be on the hot seat. The D bailed him out yesterday.

If Day has a weakness as a play caller it’s that he lacks patience. He wants a explosive offense that hits big plays and most of the time he has it. But sometimes they have to work for it a little more and Day won’t just do the thing that works even if that’s picking up 5 yards a play.

They were running the ball pretty effectively, they just weren’t running a lot. When it finally came time to go win the game he started pounding it a little more. It reminded me a lot of the Trey Sermon game against Northwestern in the Big Ten Title game a couple years ago.

15. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-04-2022),GAC (09-06-2022),Roy Tucker (09-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Night games are crazy at the Shoe. Especially now that they sell beer. A friend offered a ticket to me but my old bones have sat on those aluminum backless benches too many times. I watched it from my family room with cold beer in the fridge.

ND played well and a combination of their excellent defensive schemes, JSN getting hurt, and the inexperience of other receivers worked well for 3 quarters. It was good to see the offensive line assert itself on those 2 last TD drives and turn into road graders. You could almost see the dawning OSU realization that it’s vaunted aerial circus was out of whack and plain old 3 yards and a cloud of dust was necessary to win the game.

Now they get to play a couple easier games to get their passing offense in sync. It looks like it needs some work.
    I think the crowd was gonna be amped up anyway, but the fact that it rained all day absolutely contributed. No one was walking around. Everyone just stayed at their bar or party or tailgate and got hammered all afternoon while trying to stay dry.

17. Likes:

Roy Tucker (09-05-2022)

If they lose to UM he will absolutely be on the hot seat. The D bailed him out yesterday.
    Day will be in the NFL before he is ever fired at Ohio State. I could see him leaving if pressure mounts.

I see Day in the same mold as Lincoln Riley. Exciting offense but will never get over the hump and win a championship. They are both young so there’s still time especially after Saban retires but for right now I would be surprised if either retire from Ohio State or USC (and it will be their choice, not the university)
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

How many points did the defense score again? The defense did their job. A superb job. But still their job. You give the offensive unit no credit at all, none, and in their very first game. They put up almost 400 yds of total offense, they had a balanced rushing game (Henderson, Williams) for 172 yds, and 223 yds passing where Stroud spread it around pretty good among hiusa receivers after losing Njigba in the 1Q.

The O looked bad in the first half, and pretty solid in the seconnd IMO. First game. They'll work the kinks out.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

20. Likes:

jimbo (09-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    How many points did the defense score again? The defense did their job. A superb job. But still their job. You give the offensive unit no credit at all, none, and in their very first game. They put up almost 400 yds of total offense, they had a balanced rushing game (Henderson, Williams) for 172 yds, and 223 yds passing where Stroud spread it around pretty good among hiusa receivers after losing Njigba in the 1Q.

The O looked bad in the first half, and pretty solid in the seconnd IMO. First game. They'll work the kinks out.
    The offense scored 21 points in a game they were expected to score over 40. They averaged 45 points per game last year. They could barely move the ball in the first half. Which, the last several years is the half where they do most of their damage on offense. I am not sure what to say, I feel like we watched different games. Stroud did not make mistakes, absolutely good to see. However, the offense without Olave and Wilson looked very pedestrian. ND is decent, but lets not act like they are on level with Michigan, Georgia, Bama, etc.

As for your point about the defense scoring points - if OSU only scores 21 points last year against ND thats a loss.

Ryan Day is 35-4 as head coach at Ohio State...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Ryan Day is 35-4 as head coach at Ohio State...
    And one loss can knock you out of playoff contention.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?