Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Ohio State Football

Re: 2022 Ohio State Football

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Ryan Day is 35-4 as head coach at Ohio State...
    Its Ohio State, anyone but apparently Luke Fickel can go 35-4 the last 10-15 years with the kind of talent they have assembled. I don't really care about overall record at OSU. Big games and The Game are all that matters. He got blown out in the natty against Bama because of an absolutely horrendous defense in 2020, failed to address that defense going into 2021, and as a result had a very disappointing 2021 season including an absolutely embarrassing performance against UM. The defense is now addressed, but now the offense looks leaky. One WR got hurt early and the entire offense looked bad the rest of the game. A walk-on scoring the go-ahead TD. That WR room is supposed to be absolutely loaded and the deepest in the nation. JSN got hurt early and Fleming didn't play (no idea why anyone expects anything out of this bust at this point), and suddenly a walk-on is scoring on the most important play of the game. While very cool for Xavier Johnson and exciting, that should be sounding loud alarms for anyone paying attention. Correct me if I am wrong, but not one of the freshman WR have shed their black stripes yet. Warning warning warning warning.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

The offense had 10 real possessions and 1 of those was the clock killer at the end of the game.

They had 3 TDs and a missed FG.
    They had two 3 and outs.

ND only ran 49 plays, but still had the ball for almost 29 minutes. So if you are gonna get to 35+ points you gotta pick up 3rd downs and be super efficient, and they weren’t. They still moved the ball pretty well and obviously the last couple drives were excellent. I’m not really worried about it. They are gonna score like 150 points the next couple weeks and work out the kinks and we will see what they look like against Wisconsin, which is a pretty similar type matchup to ND.

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-06-2022),GAC (09-10-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Its Ohio State, anyone but apparently Luke Fickel can go 35-4 the last 10-15 years with the kind of talent they have assembled. I don't really care about overall record at OSU. Big games and The Game are all that matters. He got blown out in the natty against Bama because of an absolutely horrendous defense in 2020, failed to address that defense going into 2021, and as a result had a very disappointing 2021 season including an absolutely embarrassing performance against UM. The defense is now addressed, but now the offense looks leaky. One WR got hurt early and the entire offense looked bad the rest of the game. A walk-on scoring the go-ahead TD. That WR room is supposed to be absolutely loaded and the deepest in the nation. JSN got hurt early and Fleming didn't play (no idea why anyone expects anything out of this bust at this point), and suddenly a walk-on is scoring on the most important play of the game. While very cool for Xavier Johnson and exciting, that should be sounding loud alarms for anyone paying attention. Correct me if I am wrong, but not one of the freshman WR have shed their black stripes yet. Warning warning warning warning.
    Brown and Grayes both have.

I get your point with Xavier Johnson, but at that point it’s just who do the coaches trust. He’s a former walk on, but he was also a 3 star recruit with offers and he’s been in the program for 5 or 6 years. You throw Brown in there who knows what he does. Johnson wasn’t going to panic and he didn’t. Two months from now maybe you put those freshman in once they have time to get their feet wet.

6. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (09-06-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Brown and Grayes both have.

I get your point with Xavier Johnson, but at that point it’s just who do the coaches trust. He’s a former walk on, but he was also a 3 star recruit with offers and he’s been in the program for 5 or 6 years. You throw Brown in there who knows what he does. Johnson wasn’t going to panic and he didn’t. Two months from now maybe you put those freshman in once they have time to get their feet wet.
    That is good to hear about Brown and Grayes - I couldn't remember any WR black stripes and they seem to blow up on twitter. They are going to need at least one of those guys to step up IMHO.

I want to be clear I am not being all doom and gloom, the defense looked fantastic. That offensive performance and way they handled JSN, by screwing around with letting him go back on the field, made it seem like the natty against Florida where Ginn got hurt first play of the game and it completely ruined the entire offensive gameplan. It seems like they had a ton of the offense built off of him in the game against ND, and that seems bad.

Man tough crowd here. "They would have lost that game last year" Yep, but they didn't lose the game.

It was the first game of the season, against two very good defensive coaches, and they lost their best player in the 1st quarter.

I don't like big time matchups in week one. I wonder if things looked differently had they gone Arkansas St and then ND. Give Stroud and every WR not named JSN time to get their timing down.

I would much rather them look like a work in progress than a finished product in week 1.

I do think ND was a little overrated as the #5 team in the nation, but when you look across football, there aren't that many who are better.

I don't worry about the offense getting on track, and the defense playing that well is a positive sign.

Did hear on one podcast that the offense really started to get rolling in the second half. I forget what the actual data was, but they finished the game with two TD drives and then a killing the clock drive. I am ok with it taking half a game to really get rolling to start the season. I think it was Brim who pretty much made the point, had they had another quarter to play, it looked like OSU was about to really turn it on.

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-06-2022),GAC (09-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The offense scored 21 points in a game they were expected to score over 40. They averaged 45 points per game last year. They could barely move the ball in the first half.
    So what? I don't give a damn what the so-called "experts" in Vegas set as the spread, or tell everyone how many points a team should score (lol). There's sound reason why they set those spreads so high when it comes to the upper tier teams in the P5.

So you're comparing the opening day game results vs their entire performance from last year? You think that's fair? No. It's not. You also stated Stroud was out of the Heisman hunt (lol).

ND fought us head-to-head the first half. Give them credit. But it was a far different story in the second half. And yes, I do remember watching quite a few of Myer's teams have first half struggles, only to right the ship at half-time, and it was then a totally different second half.

I am not sure what to say, I feel like we watched different games.
    No. We watched the same game, and agree that they had a bad first half, and a solid second half (a pretty impressive one IMO). I just don't get emotional and jump to conclusions based on one game, and it being the first game (opening day). IMO, you're assuming, making way too much out of it.

ND is decent, but lets not act like they are on level with Michigan, Georgia, Bama, etc.
    I wasn't. But ND is more then "decent", based on their track record over the last few years. And I wouldn't be putting Michigan (simply based on last year) in the same league with 'Bama or Georgia.

if OSU only scores 21 points last year against ND thats a loss.
    So what? Irrelevant. And if ND only scores 10 points last year against OSU they would still lose (lol).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

11. Likes:

Assembly Hall (09-07-2022),jimbo (09-07-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    And I wouldn't be putting Michigan (simply based on last year) in the same league with 'Bama or Georgia.
    I am not and do not believe they are. They are certainly above ND, though. At least right now.

folks were building up ND pass D but stroud grabbed 2 TD. think he could easily grab a few more with 223 yards in his 1st game. running game brought them home tho.

Fleming and JSN in street clothes. Xavier Johnson gets start in slot. Danger danger danger (not for today)

Buckeyes look really bad against……checks notes…..Arkansas St?

Denzel Burke looks horrible out there. What happened to him?

Why are the Buckeye CBs playing 25 yards off their WRs?

I thought they played well. Not concerned with any of the nonsense posted above…

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I thought they played well. Not concerned with any of the nonsense posted above…
    I just watched the first quarter and OSU looks talented but still a little ragged. Lots of penalties. But that’s how the early season goes. Getting the 2nd and 3rd string guys in a getting some playing time is important. Develop depth.

The ND win isn’t as lustrous as it was before.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I just watched the first quarter and OSU looks talented but still a little ragged. Lots of penalties. But that’s how the early season goes. Getting the 2nd and 3rd string guys in a getting some playing time is important. Develop depth.

The ND win isn’t as lustrous as it was before.
    The offense will gel as the season goes on. The running game looks more dynamic this season and Their thunder and lightning combination at running back is dynamite.

The defense will help carry them this season so the offensive play calling will be different. The defensive line is deep and lots of guys getting in the backfield. The linebackers are more experienced and firing downhill. The safeties look comfortable in the new scheme. Only disappointment with that unit would be the corners but they’re too talented to not improve…

Didn't watch the game. They pretty much did what I thought (expected) them to do. I've been a Buck's fan for quite some time; but I have no desire to watch them play cupcake games and beat up on over-matched opponents. IMO, I don't see them getting any type of contest until Oct 8th, when they travel to Lansing.

While it's early, and rankings change, I see both the Bucks and Wolverines having easy schedules till the end.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?