Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ohio BMV investigated on potential misuse of driver data

Re: Ohio BMV investigated on potential misuse of driver data

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    The only "loyalty" card I have, and use, is the Kroger PLus Card. Love it. Especially on fuel purchases. So what data are they collecting on me that the government and eveybody else doesn't already know? It's a losing battle any more. lol
    The thing is, you can still use the loyalty card and not give your phone number, address, and real name. It’s a slippery slope to just shrug your shoulders and say the government already has it anyway, not to mention that they really don’t need my name and address to give me a discount on a pound of butter. It’s like giving the government free rain on my data and using the excuse of “Why not, If I don’t have anything to hide?”

Something else I’m starting to see is stores wanting to scan your license when making alcohol purchases. Pep Boys wanted to scan my license before they took my car in for an alignment, and they get kind of nasty and condescending when I refused. I know of a few speedway stations that scan your license from buying alcohol, and the Kroger near me requires everyone to show them your ID so they can type in your birthday, even if you’re 90 years old. My rule of thumb is if they can’t give me a good reason why they need that information, then they don’t get it, period. It isn’t hard.

Oh, I almost forgot about the local AutoZone. I bought some brake pads, and they wanted to scan my license and enter my phone and email and said it’s a requirement in case I wanted to return them. Of course I didn’t give them that stuff, but they found a way to get around it anyway. Surprise. I feel for the employees, because they are just following orders, but people have to just start telling them (corporate) to F off.

2. Likes:

goreds2 (03-07-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Meet the Texas man who has made $75,000 suing telemarketers

Graham has filed around 50 small claims cases just in Travis County and several more in North Texas and said he’s collected about $75,000 in settlements.

“We’ve had some that simply say ‘Hey, we don’t really care. We’re gonna keep doing what we want.’ No apology, nothing. We’ve also had another company, this is probably my favorite, we took them to court and they called, their legal counsel called us and said, ‘First of all, thank you. We realize you’re suing us, but we had no idea our marketing affiliates were doing this kind of behavior. We’ve fired them on the spot, we’ve ended the relationship.'”

He said about 10 companies have changed the way they’re handling that kind of marketing.

“I really think the law was written specifically for this kind of situation, when we see that our regulators are overwhelmed, we’re the ones getting the harassment, we can actually stand up and do something about it,” Graham explained.
    https://www.newsnationnow.com/busine...telemarketers/
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

5. Likes:

GAC (03-09-2022),Kingspoint (03-08-2022)

The new ID's/licenses also have location chips in them that if you have it on your posession and you are close enough to a reader (they are putting them in airports, for example), your location has now been recorded. Of course, smartphones have had this software in them for quite a while, but it's a chip in the licenses.

It's more than just creepy. Rights are being violated.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    The new ID's/licenses also have location chips in them that if you have it on your posession and you are close enough to a reader (they are putting them in airports, for example), your location has now been recorded. Of course, smartphones have had this software in them for quite a while, but it's a chip in the licenses.

It's more than just creepy. Rights are being violated.
    How does a chip reader read a smartphone?

https://www.quora.com/What-kind-of-t...e-real-ID-have

RF-ID technology uses a passive chip, without any active power, for these kinds of applications. So, it can be read by RF-ID readers using a bit of power transmitted and received via a small coil. This is very short range - literally a few mm’s distance only.

The USA Global Entry (GOES) card is similar. The US State Department provides a metalized cardholder since they want people to protect the information on it.

Same with the latest generation of USA Passports (along with other countries too!) These also have an RF-ID chip in the cover - the front of the passport identifies these and the US State Department recommends not bending the passport cover. I have a metalized passport sleeve pocket that I use - a company sells these, but I do not remember where I bought mine from.

If you are concerned about privacy issues for your USA Real ID driving license (again, I do not know whether it has an RF ID chip in it) or the USA GOES cards (does have one), then buy a wallet that is shielded - they are readily available and protect these cards easily!

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    The thing is, you can still use the loyalty card and not give your phone number, address, and real name. It’s a slippery slope to just shrug your shoulders and say the government already has it anyway, not to mention that they really don’t need my name and address to give me a discount on a pound of butter. It’s like giving the government free rain on my data and using the excuse of “Why not, If I don’t have anything to hide?”
    I don't have a shrug your shoulders or lackadaisical attitude at it at all. It's just their are so many "avenues", like tentacles, that have access to so much of one's personal information. And situations where you can't refuse to give it, and in many situations it's required. On SS, Medicare, or any government program? Financial insitutions, our local hospital/physician, employers, the list goes on and on. Why I use a VPN and other security measures.

Something else I’m starting to see is stores wanting to scan your license when making alcohol purchases. Pep Boys wanted to scan my license before they took my car in for an alignment, and they get kind of nasty and condescending when I refused. I know of a few speedway stations that scan your license from buying alcohol, and the Kroger near me requires everyone to show them your ID so they can type in your birthday, even if you’re 90 years old. My rule of thumb is if they can’t give me a good reason why they need that information, then they don’t get it, period. It isn't hard.

Oh, I almost forgot about the local AutoZone. I bought some brake pads, and they wanted to scan my license and enter my phone and email and said it’s a requirement in case I wanted to return them. Of course I didn’t give them that stuff, but they found a way to get around it anyway. Surprise. I feel for the employees, because they are just following orders, but people have to just start telling them (corporate) to F off.
    My rule of thumb too. Same thing with some who want your SS #. I thought that was against the law for merchants to ask for your SS#?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I use Apple products for laptop and phone. They’re about as secure as you’re going to get. Apple product source code isn’t readily available.

I’m a Linux guy too since it genesis from Linus Torvald and vendor flavors of Unix before that. But Linux is also the system of choice for hackers so I don’t fool myself thinking I’m smarter that them. I guess as long as you stay up with updates, you’ll be ok. But I don’t have time to read release notes and vulnerabilities and gaps being fixed by updates. I just do iPhone updates as soon as they are available.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

11. Likes:

westofyou (03-10-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I don't have a shrug your shoulders or lackadaisical attitude at it at all. It's just their are so many "avenues", like tentacles, that have access to so much of one's personal information. And situations where you can't refuse to give it, and in many situations it's required. On SS, Medicare, or any government program? Financial insitutions, our local hospital/physician, employers, the list goes on and on. Why I use a VPN and other security measures.

My rule of thumb too. Same thing with some who want your SS #. I thought that was against the law for merchants to ask for your SS#?
    Last 4 of social is what we evolved to now. But two factor is industry standard now. Almost all SS# by now have been breached so your number is all there for whoever wants to pay for it. It’s not your platform. It’s all the places your PII has been replicated out to.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by BernieCarbo View Post
    How does a chip reader read a smartphone?
    Separate. The smartphone isn't connected to the scanners that read the chips on ID's (I understand that it needs to be within 40 feet). With smartphones, it's an infinite number of apps that you give your permission to for smartphone readers to connect to you (you need to have the blue-tooth on).
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I use Apple products for laptop and phone. They’re about as secure as you’re going to get. Apple product source code isn’t readily available.

I’m a Linux guy too since it genesis from Linus Torvald and vendor flavors of Unix before that. But Linux is also the system of choice for hackers so I don’t fool myself thinking I’m smarter that them. I guess as long as you stay up with updates, you’ll be ok. But I don’t have time to read release notes and vulnerabilities and gaps being fixed by updates. I just do iPhone updates as soon as they are available.
    Apple is worse than Google or Samsung. They are better at encrypting a lot of things, but they offer you less privacy than Google or Samsung. Apple wants it all (so they can exclusively abuse your privacy). They are an evil company and have been since their inception when the company was first founded. Steve Jobs is a horrible human being. Glad he's dead.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-14-2022 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Separate. The smartphone isn't connected to the scanners that read the chips on ID's (I understand that it needs to be within 40 feet). With smartphones, it's an infinite number of apps that you give your permission to for smartphone readers to connect to you (you need to have the blue-tooth on).
    Ok, I thought you were talking about something specific to RFID. Sure, if people walk around with bluetooth turned on, they are vulnerable to bad actors.

Turn Off Ads?