Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Stress and anxiety from the Russian/Ukraine war

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Stress and anxiety from the Russian/Ukraine war

(Hopefully this is okay to post here, not trying to discuss this in a political manner and I hope it can stay that way.)

I’ve been feeling pretty burnt out over the last few weeks with all the info coming out of Ukraine. I’ve talked about having pretty bad anxiety, and one of the common topics that’s recurred to me since I’ve been a kid has been about WW3/nuclear war.

I was mostly handling the news well and feeling like things would stay relatively contained, up until a couple weekends ago when Putin pulled his nuclear preparation stunt. Since then I’ve been a wreck off and on. Hearing all these discussions about how he could use a tactical nuclear weapon if Russia got desperate and weren’t making progress, or other ways that it could escalate and get NATO involved and turn into a global conflict.

I’ve been on medications for anxiety for the last year and they do help. I’ve talked about this with my therapist for the last couple weeks and we’ve made some progress.

But regardless of how well I do focusing on my own life and tuning out all the need and stuff, I’ve had a really bad feeling of dread and fear that I haven’t been able to shake for the last couple weeks, no matter what I do. I went out with some friends last night and wasn’t thinking about it at all consciously, but I just kept feeling really off and stressed out the whole time.
    I keep telling myself that rationally all the evidence points to both Russia and NATO going to great lengths to avoid a direct conflict, and that neither side would benefit from that all. But I just can’t shake that feeling of dread and worry that something catastrophic could happen almost at any moment.

Not sure if anyone else is in that boat or not, or just feeling stressed about this. Just wanted to get some of you all’s thoughts and talk it out a bit, kicking this stuff around in my head on my own is turning out to not be too fun.

2. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-14-2022),LeatherPants (03-23-2022),Redsfaithful (03-14-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Stress and anxiety from the Russian/Ukraine war

This is one of the reasons why I'll probably be getting a dog in the next year. Finding ways to help with stress can be very important and anything that can help, if even a little bit, is worth considering.

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-14-2022),Redsfaithful (03-14-2022),Wonderful Monds (03-12-2022)

I've been listening to a LOT of ASMR videos on youtube, Bob Ross videos too.
    Go Gators!

7. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (03-12-2022)

Not letting it get to me. It’s important to remember that news media absolutely WANT you to feel the way you’re feeling. Whatever can be presented in the direst light will be.

9. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-14-2022),Stray (03-13-2022),Wonderful Monds (03-12-2022)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Not letting it get to me. It’s important to remember that news media absolutely WANT you to feel the way you’re feeling. Whatever can be presented in the direst light will be.
    Yeah that’s the mindset that’s keeping me sane

Limiting how much news we're exposed to is really important. Sometimes it's better to take a break from the constant reminders of how much people can suck.

Another option to help deal with things is journaling. Just getting random thoughts on paper can be beneficial. It's also more socially acceptable. It's never good realizing the reason people are staring at you is because you said something out loud that you shouldn't have.

12. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-14-2022),RedTeamGo! (03-14-2022),Stray (03-13-2022),Wonderful Monds (03-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Yeah that’s the mindset that’s keeping me sane
    I would get off media for at least 24 hrs maybe longer depending on your circumstances. My last vacation I consumed no media, and I think that helped more than the vacation. Mental health is one of the most overlooked things in America, and anyone who has dealt with it knows the many difficulties.

14. Likes:

goreds2 (03-13-2022),Redsfaithful (03-14-2022),RedTeamGo! (03-14-2022),Wonderful Monds (03-13-2022)

Turn off the news it's all propaganda anyway. They are going to do their best to get the American public on board with another 20 year war like the weapons of mass destruction lie. Our economy and the US dollar is tanking and war is their last recourse to save it.

16. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (03-14-2022),Bob Sheed (03-13-2022),Bunting Bad (03-13-2022),Falls City Beer (03-13-2022),Kingspoint (03-14-2022),malcontent (03-19-2022),Wonderful Monds (03-13-2022)

I agree. Turned off the news a year ago. Bought a piece of property with a lake and just enjoy fishing and mowing grass now. Keep you circle small and do what you enjoy. I would also suggest buying a quality bottle of bourbon to enjoy. Neat of course.

18. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (03-14-2022),goreds2 (03-14-2022),Kingspoint (03-14-2022),malcontent (03-19-2022),Redsfaithful (03-14-2022),RedTeamGo! (03-14-2022),Wonderful Monds (03-13-2022)

Take one thing from Putin.

It it's coming out of his mouth it's a lie.

Satellite images tell us everything we need to know.

He's wanted control of a Naval Base on the Black Sea forever. This isn't a reactionary move on his part, but a long planned-out move. Nuclear choices aren't part of that plan, no matter how much one wants to call him insane, or whatever. They are empty threats.

Kim, however, is nuts. Iran. Their regime sick in the head. Those two are real threats.

The only nuclear threat with Russia is having them accidentally set fire to the pond where the spent rods are located at Chernobyl, or not having something operate correctly at the plant where they have the workers performing under threat of being shot.

But, Putin using nuclear weapons? Not happening.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

20. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (03-14-2022),Revering4Blue (03-19-2022),Wonderful Monds (03-14-2022)

Seriously, though.

Nothing like laughter to ease tensions.

Warning though as this has the ability to make your gut ache from hard laughing.

If you haven't seen it, there's a BBC/Scotland Comedy Series called "Still Game". You can get all 59 episodes on NetFlix. It's about a couple of old curmudgeons that takes place where everyone's a "wanker" and everything's a "shiithole", like Portland, Oregon, or any other Coastal City. Except this is a couple of "pensioners" in the slums of Edinburgh. It's a spinoff from a skit that the main actors did on another hit comedy series of theirs. It ran from 2002 to 2006, seasons 1-5, and then picked up again in 2016 through 2019 for seasons 6-9. Not a beat is missed, every episode is good to great, got an incredible 8.8 on IMBD for the entire series, and it's last episode is excellent, earning 8.9. If you need more, you can find their earlier skits from the other series on youtube and elsewhere. I've never laughed harder or more consistently in my life on any series. It is the U.K. from the year 2002, so just understand that they were 40 years behind the U.S. as far as politically correctness goes, but if that bothers you, then I guess you're a wanker and you need to get over it.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

22. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (03-14-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Seriously, though.

Nothing like laughter to ease tensions.

Warning though as this has the ability to make your gut ache from hard laughing.

If you haven't seen it, there's a BBC/Scotland Comedy Series called "Still Game". You can get all 59 episodes on NetFlix. It's about a couple of old curmudgeons that takes place where everyone's a "wanker" and everything's a "shiithole", like Portland, Oregon, or any other Coastal City. Except this is a couple of "pensioners" in the slums of Edinburgh. It's a spinoff from a skit that the main actors did on another hit comedy series of theirs. It ran from 2002 to 2006, seasons 1-5, and then picked up again in 2016 through 2019 for seasons 6-9. Not a beat is missed, every episode is good to great, got an incredible 8.8 on IMBD for the entire series, and it's last episode is excellent, earning 8.9. If you need more, you can find their earlier skits from the other series on youtube and elsewhere. I've never laughed harder or more consistently in my life on any series. It is the U.K. from the year 2002, so just understand that they were 40 years behind the U.S. as far as politically correctness goes, but if that bothers you, then I guess you're a wanker and you need to get over it.
    Looks like it's right up my alley. Something I should try

24. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-14-2022)

https://youtu.be/bQl-n2cLTKs

Newest Bengal Hayden Hurst speaking on his past depression and suicide attempt. This guy is gonna be hugely popular in Cincinnati.

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Turn Off Ads?