Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 68 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter Greene

Hunter Greene

Cincinati Reds pitching prospect Hunter Greene didn’t expect to wear the No. 21 in spring training, so he didn’t know what he had in store for him when he walked into the big league clubhouse for the first time this year.

Greene found out his locker was right next to first baseman Joey Votto’s. On the first day of camp, Greene told Votto he planned to ask him questions all spring. But he knew he had to find the right balance

Greene is in the mix to open the year in the Reds starting rotation.

“He’ll have to continue to grow at the Major League level, too,” Reds pitching coach Derek Johnson said. “It’s all about fitting him with the rest of the pieces and his growth in Major League Baseball. No matter what you do in the minor leagues, it’s not the major leagues. There’s another step for each guy.”

Johnson said he doesn’t believe a pitching prospect can prove he’s ready for the jump to MLB without actually pitching in MLB. One of his main talking points with the pitching staff is combining “the arts and the sciences” of pitching with each pitcher, and the final steps are perfecting your preparation and your mindset on the mound.

Greene took the initiative over the offseason to advance those skills. Over the winter, Greene spent a week with Sonny Gray to learn about making the adjustment to MLB.

“It was one of the most productive trips I’ve ever done when it comes to working with big league guys,” Greene said. Now Greene enters the spring in the mix to fill Gray’s spot in the rotation.

Johnson said the shortened spring training won’t impact Greene’s preparedness for the season. Now, Greene has an opportunity to show he’s ready for the next step.

“I’m not really evaluating Hunter against other pitchers,” Johnson said. “I’m looking at Hunter and then trying to fit the pieces as we go. Usually, there's a decent answer at the end.”
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...BingNewsSearch

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hunter Greene

I see no real way at the moment that Hunter Greene is not in the rotation. I am sure the Reds ownership want him there just to put butts in the seats

4. Likes:

goreds2 (03-17-2022),KeefeCato (03-30-2022),Ron Madden (03-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    I see no real way at the moment that Hunter Greene is not in the rotation. I am sure the Reds ownership want him there just to put butts in the seats
    I would hate to see him rushed and crushed

But I'm thinking the same thing that you are.

6. Likes:

KeefeCato (03-30-2022),mth123 (03-16-2022)

In Derick Johnson I trust

8. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-16-2022)

Now if Luis Castillo could only teach Hunter Greene how to throw a change-up.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

10. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Now if Luis Castillo could only teach Hunter Greene how to throw a change-up.
    that would be awesome

From the link in the original post
    Greene’s biggest jump last year was with his slider. He added more velocity to the pitch, which made it sweep across the plate instead of toward the ground. He was reluctant at times to use his changeup last year, so he spent the offseason developing his changeup, throwing it often and building confidence.

Seems like just a few years ago that the opinion around here and of the organization was that 23 and 24 year old pitchers were tiny babies with delicate arms that cant be rushed. Now a 22 year old who has pitched a grand total of 179 innings to mostly future insurance salesmen, is being thrown into the rotation.

I have this horrible sinking feeling that we’re about to see Hunter and Lodolo both rushed to the bigs and ruined.

The Reds never learn. We went into 2017 with a whole rotation full of young guys and most of them flamed out.

Smart teams just do not throw young pitchers to the wolves like this, especially not several at once. There’s just too many innings that need covered.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

14. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-16-2022),KeefeCato (03-30-2022),mth123 (03-16-2022),Ron Madden (03-16-2022),Slyder (03-20-2022),TNRED (03-16-2022)

I think the lockout will help Greenes timeliness for this year. If we're looking at a 130 inning limit for Hunter that's about 25 major league starts. I'd ease him in and have him go to AAA starting May 1st. Give him 4-5 starts to work on his secondary stuff. If he shows out move him to the big club June 1st and leave him in the rotation for the rest of the year.

With today's pickup of Minor we can plug him into the 5th spot. Give Vlad and Sanmartin 2 months to see if they have what it takes. If they don't, slide them to the pen when Hunter gets called up. I'd do a similar timeline for Lodolo as well.

with Garrett gone, I'm guessing SanMartin in the pen.

Castillo
    Mahle
    Vlad
    Minor
    Greene
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

17. Likes:

M2 (03-17-2022)

I look forward to Homer-Bailey-with-a-much-better-attitude joining the rotation this year.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Here are the spring training starters for the first five games.

Nick Lodolo
    Tyler Mahle
    Tony Santillan
    Graham Aschraft
    Vladimir Gutierrez

Hunter Greene is scheduled to pitch in relief for Game 4 on Monday.
    Greene is still a starter, but they have a lot of starters that need to throw in these games.

“I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

21. Likes:

0-2 Count (03-19-2022),Red Raindog (03-20-2022),Rowsdower (03-17-2022)

Hunter looks a lot more mature than I thought. Maybe he is ready.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

23. Likes:

BoxingRed (03-17-2022),RedsBaron (03-17-2022),SomeCallMeTim (03-18-2022)

Every time I contemplate Hunter Greene kicking ass and taking names I am overcome with the irresistible urge to call him Huntarr, the living bioweapon.

Last edited by M2; 03-17-2022 at 05:28 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

25. Likes:

Tadasimha (03-17-2022)

Turn Off Ads?