Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter Greene

Re: Hunter Greene

As hard as Hunter throws and already had TJ surgery, I don't see him as a starter for the next 15+ years. I think he is going to wind up a closer.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If Greene were to not succeed at starting and became a lights out closer (again I think we are nowhere near that possibility at this time) it wouldnt necessarily be a bad thing but from the perspective of this organization drafting/signing and developing arms well, it would only look like another failure to have such an elite prospect not become a solid MLB starter.

If people are going to start pitching this "we should be happy if Greene ends up being a closer" idea, I swear...

He was supposed to be a generational arm worth tanking a season for.

Really tired of walking back expectations for every "hot" Reds prospect.

5. Likes:

Chip R (04-01-2022),dreghorntwo (04-01-2022),Wonderful Monds (04-01-2022)

In fairness, there are like 10 people in the history of earth that are running it up there in triple digits with movement. Then a different subset of starters throwing triple digits with any regularity. I don't think the "straightness" of the fastball will be an issue if he can locate all his pitches.

At the end of the day, it's spring training. Guys are working on stuff. I don't think this 2 inning sample is an indictment on his career or a sign of things to come

7. Likes:

Hamilton95 (04-01-2022),HokieRed (04-01-2022),mth123 (04-01-2022),Ron Madden (04-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Hunter Greene has been clocked throwing 105. Greene also sat, last year, 99 - 102, late into games. Homer Bailey's best fastball average-- 94.4 mph-- came early in his Cincinnati career. (His third season.) While not exactly 10 mph faster, it is between five and ten miles per hour faster.

In short, Greene's fastball has similar RPM to Aroldis Chapman's. That one proved pretty good.

And yeah, your argument that no one has technically said Greene is a bust is a semantic argument at its finest (worst?). Pulling out the two most well-known disappointments in Red minor league developmental history as comps would seem to be a pretty clear indication of where you view Greene.
    I believe Rick simply said Greene's fastball reminds him of Homer and Stephenson's straight fastballs. Which, is true. Greene throws harder but his fastballs are straight as an arrow.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I believe Rick simply said Greene's fastball reminds him of Homer and Stephenson's straight fastballs. Which, is true. Greene throws harder but his fastballs are straight as an arrow.
    right, but the point is a straight fastball thrown at 102 MPH (which greene touches quite consistently) is far more difficult to barrel up than a fastball thrown at 96 MPH (which is where homer consistently sat, if i'm being kind).

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    right, but the point is a straight fastball thrown at 102 MPH (which greene touches quite consistently) is far more difficult to barrel up than a fastball thrown at 96 MPH (which is where homer consistently sat, if i'm being kind).
    I do not know if that is true, not many examples of it. I guess we will find out this year. Chapman had more movement on his and his throwing motion was a lot different and more deceptive, coming from the left side.

The trouble is Green doesn't throw 102 consistently no starter does.
    May the Lord bless

12. Likes:

Chip R (04-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    This is correct, 102 is an outlier, especially as a starter. He is more 98 as a starter, and do we really know what he is going to look like in the 5th inning?

14. Likes:

Chip R (04-01-2022)

It might be a year too early for Greene to be in the bigs. Doesn't mean they shouldn't do it. Just means they need to focus on the process rather than the results. The hope is that they can take him from here to the point where he's good more quickly by doing it this way. I generally loathe that method of development, but Greene is an exception for me due to his frame, athleticism and stuff. It might snap together suddenly for him at some point this season. Though if it's a three-year walk, then the Reds had best be prepared to take it.

Johnny Cueto took three seasons to become a plus pitcher. The GAB was playing neutral in those seasons and now it's playing like a murder palace (I think it's because of juiced baseballs). So Greene might be posting ERAs in the 5.00s if he follows a similar path.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

16. Likes:

marcshoe (04-01-2022),Mitri (04-01-2022),mth123 (04-01-2022),Old school 1983 (04-01-2022)

His RPM are equal to Aroldis Champman's fastball.

Doesn't RPM indicate how "straight" a fastball might be?

If so, Aroldis Chapman is a much more effective comp, as his fastball is much more similar in speed.

(And, if Chapman's fastball is indeed a better comp, it wouldn't seem to be much of an issue.)
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 04-01-2022 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    David Weathers had 33 saves as a 37 year old.

"Closer" is the single most overrated position in baseball.
    Unless you don't have one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

19. Likes:

mth123 (04-01-2022),Old school 1983 (04-01-2022),RedTeamGo! (04-01-2022),UKFlounder (04-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    In his first AA start, Greene threw 37 of his 43 fastballs over 100.

(Cue discussion on whether 100+ constitutes 102.)

21. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-01-2022),wlf WV (04-01-2022)

This is correct, 102 is an outlier, especially as a starter. He is more 98 as a starter, and do we really know what he is going to look like in the 5th inning?
    Greene is an outlier. His fastball is an 80 on the scouting scale and has been for years.

He is not "more 98" as a starter. We've seen confirmation of this in the minors.

23. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Greene is an outlier. His fastball is an 80 on the scouting scale and has been for years.

He is not "more 98" as a starter. We've seen confirmation of this in the minors.
    For 100 pitches? We shall see.

Turn Off Ads?