Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter Greene

Re: Hunter Greene

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Perhaps we're underestimating our team. Maybe they can win with young pitching and a platoon based offense.
    Greene
    Lodolo
    Ashcraft
    Williamson
    Santillan
    Vlad
    Dunn
    Sanmartin

If Greene/Lodolo/Ashcraft/Williamson don't have the ability to throw 180 innings yet, they can still do some tandem starts, 2 or 3 inning openers, middle relief. This could be a strong pitching staff behind Castillo and Mahle. I'd feel better if there was a veteran closer and another right hand bat to play the outfield
    I think the pitching is going to good if not better. There's a lot of young talent and depth. I'm much more concerned about the lineup. It was an averagish lineup that lost 2 of its top 3 hitters and did jack squat to replace them, even internally.

We basically have 3 players who we can reasonably count on to be productive: A 38-year-old who rescued his career from its death throes, which may or may not be sustainable, and two sophomores who frankly significantly over-performed reasonable expectations during their rookie years. Not that they were flukes, but regression from standout rookies is not uncommon. And those are the most reliable, best options. Could they anchor a lineup -- sure. If they don't......

I hope Senzel learns how to stay healthy. I hope Moose learns how to hit again. I hope Naquin....? I hope Barrero...? I hope Aquino? I hope Colin Moran and Jake Fraley?

The cupboard is bare in terms of position prospects in the upper minors. Excluding Barrero, you've got Friedl and Lopez. Then what? Is there anybody in the org top 40?

And if things aren't working out, do we think the FO is going to bring in a difference maker? I doubt it. I mean, I'll hope for the best. But with just a small dash of bad luck, there's a distinct possibility this is one of the worst offenses in baseball this year.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-27-2022),mth123 (03-20-2022),Redhook (03-20-2022),wlf WV (03-20-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

On the other hand...

Adding Solano and Fraley and subtracting Suarez is a gain.
    Adding full time Stephenson and subtracting Barnhart is an offensive gain
    Healthy Senzel and Healthy Moose adds something missing last year.

There's a chance the lineup is more balanced with less automatic outs.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    On the other hand...

Adding Solano and Fraley and subtracting Suarez is a gain.
    Adding full time Stephenson and subtracting Barnhart is an offensive gain
    Healthy Senzel and Healthy Moose adds something missing last year.

There's a chance the lineup is more balanced with less automatic outs.
    Who's making up for the winker and castellanos subtractions?

6. Likes:

Falls City Beer (03-27-2022),M2 (03-20-2022),wlf WV (03-20-2022)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    Who's making up for the winker and castellanos subtractions?
    Jim Beam gonna have a big year.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

8. Likes:

M2 (03-20-2022)

C. Trent Rosecrans @ctrent

Hunter Greene is scheduled to pitch one inning today vs the Cubs

10. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-21-2022)

Rob Friedman @PitchingNinja

Hunter Greene, Changeups

Watch:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/PitchingN...Cy0duy7ewpAAAA

Rob Friedman @PitchingNinja

Hunter Greene, Changeups

Watch:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/PitchingN...Cy0duy7ewpAAAA
    91 MPH changeups, lol

This is the key to Greene’s long term success, a changeup he can use as a third pitch. They looked good today.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

13. Likes:

MikeS21 (03-26-2022),Ron Madden (03-26-2022)

Charlie Goldsmith @CharlieG__

Hunter Greene threw 18 of his 33 pitches today faster than 100 mph. That wasn’t why he was excited with his start.

His changeup –– how confident he is throwing it and when he uses it in the count –– is in a completely different place than it was in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    91 MPH changeups, lol

This is the key to Greene’s long term success, a changeup he can use as a third pitch. They looked good today.
    be careful. I keep getting told a third pitch isn't necessary.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

The Reds' No. 1 prospect is making a good case to be in the Major Leagues for Opening Day. In his second outing of the spring -- and his first start -- right-hander Hunter Greene threw two scoreless innings in Saturday's 2-1 win over the Giants at Scottsdal
    Stadium

“I felt good. I felt like my pitches were coming out nice,” Greene said. “It’s still spring, so I am working on pitches here and there. I felt great about my changeup. I feel like guys were a little bit off-balance, and I kept them honest as well today.”

As for his changeup, Greene used it to start a sequence against two hitters, something he did not do at all last season in the Minors.

“I’ve been working on that a lot in the offseason,” Greene said. “I take a lot of pride in my changeup now, really more than any other pitch. The fastball is great, the slider is cool, but the changeup is where my mind is at, and I’m really happy with that.”

“Pitching coach Derek Johnson says all the time I’m going to be out of the stretch more than the windup. Getting comfortable with that,” Greene said. “Spring Training is all about being comfortable and working on all of your stuff when it doesn’t really matter. I’m sure these guys want to see me working out of the stretch, too, and that I’m the same guy I am when out of the windup.”

“There are still things I am working on, and I’m talking to D.J. all the time. He’s in my ear, I’m in his ear. Not getting too hyped up, I’d like to think I stay right in the middle,” Greene said. “That’s what makes the best players, guys that stay on that middle line. I think I’m doing well. I have a lot of confidence in myself. We still have a few more games to go.”
    full story here:
    https://www.mlb.com/news/hunter-gree...-rotation-push

17. Likes:

Mitri (03-26-2022),ochoa30 (03-27-2022),Rdirtypirates (03-27-2022),Tuff Nut (03-27-2022)

With the advent of the NL DH the concept of an opener is now available for the Reds. I'd love to see the Reds use that with their rookie SP like Greene for the first few weeks. Let them go through a lineup once and build length from there.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    be careful. I keep getting told a third pitch isn't necessary.
    In mth's altervative world, Randy Johnson's still in AAA working on that changeup.

Jack Flaherty's a bullpen (maybe) guy, and Lance Lynn might be a AAA closer.

About 10% of MLB starters use two pitches.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    In mth's altervative world, Randy Johnson's still in AAA working on that changeup.

Jack Flaherty's a bullpen (maybe) guy, and Lance Lynn might be a AAA closer.

About 10% of MLB starters use two pitches.
    Exactly. Those are called outliers. I wouldn't project or plan on guys being an outlier. That's called hoping, not plannng.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

21. Likes:

Sea Ray (03-27-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Exactly. Those are called outliers. I wouldn't project or plan on guys being an outlier. That's called hoping, not plannng.
    Hardly.

Greene dominated AA. His peripherals in AAA were nearly as dominant.

That's not hoping. That's development.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Hardly.

Greene dominated AA. His peripherals in AAA were nearly as dominant.

That's not hoping. That's development.
    No that's just using natural ability to dominate inferior players but probably won't work in the big leagues where a lot of guys have that kind of talent. Now he's added a change-up that will aid him to do the same in the big leagues, that's what I call development. Had he not had added that change, I'd be skeptical of hm doing the same in the big leagues, at least as a starter.

Others who are lacking that development should take a little time to finish the job.

24. Likes:

Sea Ray (03-27-2022)

Turn Off Ads?