Turn Off Ads?
Page 63 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter Greene

Re: Hunter Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's far too early to offer Greene a long deal. He's ours for at least another 5 yrs. He needs to show he can stay healthy. We also don't know if he'll age well
    He'll only be 29 after a 6 year deal buying a year of free agency.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

Wayne Krivsky (10-12-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's far too early to offer Greene a long deal. He's ours for at least another 5 yrs. He needs to show he can stay healthy. We also don't know if he'll age well
    If the Reds follow the Castillo and Mahle templates then Greene is a Red for 3 1/2 more years. If you wait too late to offer the deal it will cost way more. The Reds have nothing on the books after 2023 and could desperately use some good PR. Lock up Green for 7 or 8 years and build the staff around him moving forward. I trust GReene to hold up physically more than Lodolo and Stephenson, and the other extension candidate(India) can be replaced in house with the plethora of IF prospects we have.

5. Likes:

RiverRat13 (10-14-2022)

A CONVERSATION WITH HUNTER GREENE
    A highly anticipated prospect since he was the second overall pick in the 2017 Draft, Reds starting pitcher Hunter Greene arrived in the big leagues in 2022 and showed what the hype was about.

Greene, 23, routinely touched 101-102 mph with his fastball and developed his slider and changeup.

It wasn’t all smooth throughout his 24 starts, and the right-hander finished 5-13 with a 4.44 ERA and a team-leading 164 strikeouts in 125 2/3 innings.

There were also 24 home runs allowed, including 23 before the All-Star break. But after working on sharpening his fastball location, Greene had a 0.78 ERA with 37 strikeouts over his final four starts -- after returning from a right shoulder strain.

MLB.com: After throwing the most innings in a season of your pro career, did it feel different after the season ended to shut everything down for the offseason? How have you recovered?

Greene: Yeah. I’m ready to go. I actually started to play catch today. I have a really good program in place and feel great. That’s always a nice feeling coming out of a season and being able to get into your training. You’re feeling like you’re ready to go and really conquer the world.

MLB.com: With no injuries to rehab from, what’s it like to have a normal offseason?

Greene: It’s a great feeling to be able to put all of your focus and attention into the betterment of your game, and being able to level up is a great feeling. You don’t feel like you have obstacles to overcome just to get to a healthy part of your career. There’s a lot to work on and a lot to build off of.

MLB.com: What are you working on between now and February?

Greene: I just started throwing, but obviously I want the consistency to my mechanics and making sure I feel good going into my bullpens and that all my pitches are working, and all that good stuff. I want to be well-rounded coming into Spring Training and healthy
    https://view.mail.mlblists.com/messa...c0ec896d4d/raw

7. Likes:

RED VAN HOT (12-13-2022)

https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/statu...4SkJmKTPVpuXZQ

It's rare that we get some actual positive news about this team, so I thought I'd share this.

Hunter Greene
    @HunterGreene17

My neighbors were wondering how 3 tour buses got into our gated community �� It was a powerful sight to see and fun night. MLB DREAM SERIES & STAFF ALWAYS 1st class❤️
    Last edited by NebraskaRed; 01-16-2023 at 02:49 PM.

9. Likes:

757690 (01-16-2023),Ron Madden (01-16-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/statu...4SkJmKTPVpuXZQ

It's rare that we get some actual positive news about this team, so I thought I'd share this.
    Awesome. Thanks for posting that.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

11. Likes:

NebraskaRed (01-16-2023),Ron Madden (01-16-2023)

It's time to get excited about Hunter Greene … again.

January 18th, 2023
    David Adler

There should be as much hype for Greene's 2023 debut as there was surrounding his big league debut in 2022, when he came out ripping 100 mph fastballs against the reigning World Series champion Braves and then set a pitch-tracking era record with 39 triple-digit heaters in his second career start against the Dodgers.

That was an incredible showcase of pure talent. But this could be the year that the 23-year-old -- who just spoke to 80 young players hoping to follow his path to the Major Leagues at MLB's DREAM Series this week -- emerges as one of baseball's best young aces-in-the-making.

Projections love Greene entering 2023

Steamer sees him as a top-25 pitcher by Wins Above Replacement, on the same level as Dylan Cease, Max Fried, Blake Snell and Zac Gallen, and projects him for 212 strikeouts, 11th-most of any pitcher.

continue reading here:
    https://www.mlb.com/news/hunter-gree...ut-ace-of-2023

13. Likes:

membengal (01-20-2023),RED VAN HOT (01-20-2023)

Hunter Greene ready to challenge for Cy Young votes

One of the very best parts of every baseball season is watching the players who exceed expectations.

They’re the guys who, for whatever reason — could be injuries, could be youth, could be lack of opportunity — haven’t been able to live up to their potential.

Until they do.

I’m all in on Greene being a legit Cy Young candidate in 2023.

Yeah, he hit some bumps in the road in 2022 that led to a so-so 4.44 ERA and 4.37 FIP, but he’s the real deal.

He has one of the best arms in baseball, and the brains, motivation and work ethic to match.

He had eight starts last year in which he went at least six full innings and allowed one or zero earned runs. His numbers in those eight starts: 50 1/3 innings, 19 hits, 3 earned run, 1 home run, 15 walks, 69 strikeouts

That’s legit.

He missed most of August and half of September with a shoulder strain, but came back to make four starts to close out the season and was brilliant: 0.78 ERA, 37 strikeouts in 23 innings. And that was his Age 22 season.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...lzpking1m5hskm

15. Likes:

Sea Ray (03-06-2023)

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

Hunter Greene is the Reds Opening Day starter.

David Bell on Hunter Greene: "He earned it. We have a couple other guys that we couldn’t have gone wrong with with Nick and Graham. It was an honor to tell Hunter that news. He understands what it means."

"He passed all the tests last year and got better as the year went."

David Bell shared that after Hunter Greene in Game 1, it’ll be Nick Lodolo in Game 2 and Graham Ashcraft in Game 3. They’re all excited about the chance to be front line starters early in their careers.

Cincinnati Reds
    @Reds
    Starting on Opening Day… for your 2023 Cincinnati Reds…

HUNTERRRRR GREEEEENE

https://twitter.com/Reds/status/1633...056000/photo/1

Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-09-2023 at 06:12 PM.

17. Likes:

goreds2 (03-09-2023),Kingspoint (03-09-2023)

Reds Opening Day starter Hunter Greene 'wants to win just as much as the fans'

Since the Cincinnati Reds drafted the young phenom who had already been on the cover of Sports Illustrated, starting pitcher Hunter Greene has been the face of the team’s future.

Greene has always embraced high expectations. His 100-plus mph fastball, emotional presence on the mound and commitment to the community around him made him a potential franchise player.

The future is now for Greene. In just his second season, Greene will be the Reds’ Opening Day starter and face the Pittsburgh Pirates at Great American Ball Park on March 30.

And at just 23 years old, as one of the youngest starting pitchers in MLB, Greene is taking up the mantle for a young Reds team that believes it can move on from last year’s 100-loss season and begin to turn the corner.

We know that we got to go out there and win. We’re working extremely hard. We want to win just as much as the fans. We want to bring that atmosphere back to the city. That’s the most exciting part, knowing the potential.”

Continue Reading:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...ns/ar-AA18r6dC

19. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-09-2023)

Reds going Greene for Opening Day

Hunter Greene has been working hard to become the face and the ace of the Reds' young and promising starting rotation.

His effort has paid off. Reds manager David Bell named Greene the Opening Day starter.

“It means the world,” Greene said. “It’s a huge honor considering the history in Cincinnati, the success they’ve had in the city. I take a lot of pride in it. It’s a huge honor, especially with the rest of the talent in the starting rotation we have.”

It’s Greene’s plan to help resurrect the success of baseball in Cincinnati. The Reds have won the seventh most World Series (five), but have not won the Fall Classic since 1990.

“It’s a baseball city, and we know that,” Greene said.

“We've got to go out there and win. Obviously, we’re working extremely hard and we want to win just as much as the fans and bring that atmosphere back to the city.”

“He doesn't just say that, he shows that in his actions,” David Bell said. “Not only on our team, but in the community. He cares about other people and his teammates."

But like most promising young pitchers, Greene knows he still has plenty to improve upon, so he’s been working on enhancing his secondary pitches this Spring Training.

“I want to be one of the best pitchers in the game,” Greene said. “As I watch [Max] Scherzer, [Jacob] deGrom, [Justin] Verlander and Sandy [Alcantara], all those guys take a lot of pride in [the fact] their secondary pitches are just as impressive as their high velocity. I recognize that, I know that, I'm aware of it. And I’m just trying to build on that as much as I can and be the best I can be.

Story Here:
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/hunter...ng-day-starter

21. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-09-2023)

And, he pitched today like he should be the Opening Day Starter (though I think Lodolo will have a better season each of the next three years).
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Hunter Greene moves closer to being ready for Opening Day

Hearing a Major League pitcher will throw in a minor league game always sounds easier than the reality.

Every hitter wants to prove himself against a big-league arm. There is no atmosphere on the backfields, even in spring training standards, with fewer than 50 people watching. The adrenaline from a normal game isn’t there.

Hunter Greene was bumped to a minor league spring training game Sunday because Luis Cessa returned early from the World Baseball Classic and it would’ve been understandable if he wasn’t at his sharpest.

Despite all that, Greene performed well.

Facing the Milwaukee Brewers’ Triple-A team, Greene completed six scoreless innings, He gave up four hits and two walks, both walks coming in the first inning.

“Today was all about the mentality,” said Greene, who finished around 85 pitches and threw a few more pitches in the bullpen afterward.

“A lot of mental (focus) today, which is always a good test. Going out there, working on what I wanted to work on, but being in that competitive mindset where I still have to go out there, execute my pitches, stay upbeat and try to be myself – be how I’m going to be if I’m in a big-league stadium. A lot on the mental side.”

Greene was sitting 96-98 mph with his fastball throughout his outing. He had at least three strikeouts with his fastball and slider each. He mixed more changeups once he reached the fourth inning, Greene said. “Curt (Casali) and I were on the same page.

Greene is scheduled to make one more start in spring training before Opening Day. During Sunday’s minor league game, he struck out five of the last nine batters he faced

Story Here:
    https://post.news/@/bobbynight/2NFzX...LmtSyE27bG4EaT

24. Likes:

HammerTime (03-19-2023),SirFelixCat (03-19-2023)

Second verse, same as the first.

Did he learn to pitch from Castillo? So sick of 80 pitches in 3 innings from this team over the last four years.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mgbrown66 View Post
    Second verse, same as the first.

Did he learn to pitch from Castillo? So sick of 80 pitches in 3 innings from this team over the last four years.
    Ump was disgusting. Squeezed him like crazy. Deserved much better.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

27. Likes:

Coopdaddy67 (03-30-2023),Edd Roush (03-31-2023),Kingspoint (03-31-2023)

I was off and on following today cuz of work. Was the 105.2 confirmed? Stupid arm talent if so.

Turn Off Ads?