Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Reds traded Amir Garrett to the Royals for Mike Minor and cash considerations.

Re: Reds traded Amir Garrett to the Royals for Mike Minor and cash considerations.

Nobody would take him in a trade and there's no savings waiving him so if he can teach these young pitchers something and take innings off their arms, might as well get your money's worth

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds traded Amir Garrett to the Royals for Mike Minor and cash considerations.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don't have any issue with that, but if they let him do that we best buckle up. If Minor gets ~18 more starts, we're going to get to see something special.
    Uniquely unique and especially special.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Yep, that's the thing right now. Once Castillo and/or Mahle is traded, they'll need someone to provide innings. Greene, Ashcraft and Lodolo will hit innings limits maybe around the first of September, so someone has to pitch.
    Considering that Lodolo hasnt pitched in two months, he NEEDS innings instead of limits.

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (06-26-2022),RiverRat13 (06-26-2022)

The Reds will go with a 6 man rotation when Lodolo comes back until the All-Star break.

My guess is that they move Minor to the pen after that. They could use another lefty in the pen, and Minor might actually be good in that role.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by KeefeCato View Post
    Might see some all-time low home attendance in September. Especially Fri-Sun with Football playing. Might break the GABP record for weekend games.
    New promotion -- the Reds should offer a satisfaction guarantee to fans attending a game. Any night the Reds gave up 8 runs or more, fans attending receive a free LaRosa medium (8 pieces) pizza.

8. Likes:

mbgrayson (06-26-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The Reds will go with a 6 man rotation when Lodolo comes back until the All-Star break.
    Is that official?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Is that official?
    It’s what Welsh said on TV this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It’s what Welsh said on TV this weekend.
    I guess that's official. Maybe they're nursing Mahle and Castillo so they look maximally attractive heading up to the trade window?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I guess that's official. Maybe they're nursing Mahle and Castillo so they look maximally attractive heading up to the trade window?
    It’s two starts. Odds are one of the Reds starters will get inured between now and then anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    The issues were:

Minor is awful and this was public info when the deal was made
    A club with limited resources took on 9 million buxxxxx to get this batting tee who, to make matters worse, WAS DAMAGED GOODS WHEN WE ACQUIRED HIM.

This organization is s complete farce.

Krall thought Minor would help us win this year (or at least be an improvement).
    This is the same guy that's probably going to trade Castillo and Mahle. Very scary for the future of the franchise.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

14. Likes:

wlf WV (06-27-2022)

I agree Krall sucks, but that was GM speak. I think in reality he was hoping Minor would be good so they could flip him at the deadline.

Just like they are going to do with Solano, Pham, and Drury
    What would you say.....ya do here?

16. Likes:

westofyou (06-27-2022)

GM speak is a real and plentiful thing, anything said by Krall and even Thrall needs to be filtered by the fact that they work for the Reds. Nobody is going to cut their legs off to validate the fans perception it's a load of horse hockey. Who does that in any business?

"Mikes got an arm and he's pitched his career down a hill in the past few years. We acquired him to accelerate the process, get 12 or so starts, take the salary hit and cast the subtle illusion that we are trying."

Nobody says that, just writers.

This Cardinal article is awash in GM speak too

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I agree Krall sucks, but that was GM speak. I think in reality he was hoping Minor would be good so they could flip him at the deadline.

I suspect they would have seen that as a silver lining, but not the primary purpose. I imagine it was more like having a guy who could eat innings to prevent them from having to promote the prospects too early. He didn't have to be good to fill that role, just not horrible. That was clearly too high a bar.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

19. Likes:

REDREAD (06-27-2022),RedTeamGo! (06-27-2022),Revering4Blue (06-27-2022)

If I'm not mistaken, there is a DH coming up on 7/7 and will be in a stretch of 14 games in 13 days, so it will be interesting to see whether the 6-man rotation sticks, is just for the DH or maybe until the all-star break.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

If hypothetically, Krall was given roughly 20 million and he decided to use it grabbing bait for the trade deadline, he should have actually spent that money on an impact player.
    The odds of Minor being good, especially at the GAB was incredibly low.
    IMO, if he bought Minor in as trade bait, he's even dumber than if he bought Minor in to eat innings (which I think was the real purpose).
    At least a veteran to eat innings is somewhat defensible.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?