Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Donovan Solano

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Reds sign Donovan Solano

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    So the Reds profile to have Senzel, Shogo, Fraley, Schrock, Naquin, and Aristides Aquino across the OF.

Is that the worst OF in MLB?
    I think it might be
    sorry we're boring

2. Likes:

Tom Servo (03-16-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Welcome to hell, Donovan Solano.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Welcome to hell, Donovan Solano.
    He came up with the Marlins he's seen worse.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Their goal is to sign another 24 of them so they can be called “Farmer’s Only.”
    You know, "Bauer" is German for "Farmer".
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

7. Likes:

757690 (03-16-2022),lollipopcurve (03-16-2022),Old school 1983 (03-16-2022)

A Farmer and Farmer possible battery is something this city boy will never comprehend

Haunted by walks

The problem with Buck Farmer is that money doesn’t grow on trees.

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-16-2022),UKFlounder (03-16-2022),WildcatFan (03-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Loprock

Schropez

Schlockez

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    He's going to enjoy hitting in GABP after those huge fields in the west. Love the "Donnie Barrels" nickname.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeCallMeTim View Post
    Could they actually be considering moving India to third and Solano to 2nd?
    What about the opposite and see if Solano can play 3rd and keep India at 2nd. Platoons with Moose, alternating DH days.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The problem with Buck Farmer is that money doesn’t grow on trees.
    Can we call him Buck Naked. Or does George Costanza still have the name rights.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (03-16-2022)

Solano is actually a very nice pickup. Problem is he would have been a great pickup on a good team, unlikely to move the needle here unless he can play SS or CF
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (03-16-2022),Revering4Blue (03-17-2022),Tom Servo (03-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    What wrong with him is that he is on the wrong side of a platoon, is a horrible defender at 2nd (basically his only position now) and makes 4.5M (team reallocating resources)
    I guess he could be the RH DH (which I think should mostly be Stephenson)
    Reds need righty bats but in the OF or someone that can play around the field.
    I honestly don't see why Solano is any better than Farmer, in terms of bang for the buck, which is important as finances have been driving this offseason.
    Why not just spend the 4.5 million on an OF or reliever? That would have been much more useful.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

18. Likes:

Powder River (03-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I honestly don't see why Solano is any better than Farmer, in terms of bang for the buck, which is important as finances have been driving this offseason.

Why not just spend the 4.5 million on an OF or reliever? That would have been much more useful.
    Farmer is the better defender but his .263/.316/.416 slashline last year seemed to be an absolute best case scenario. Meanwhile Solano has hit .308/.354/.435 over the last 3 years.

As for the second point, I totally agree. No idea why Solano was prioritized over more pressing positions.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

20. Likes:

Powder River (03-17-2022),REDREAD (03-16-2022),Revering4Blue (03-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Farmer is the better defender but his .263/.316/.416 slashline last year seemed to be an absolute best case scenario. Meanwhile Solano has hit .308/.354/.435 over the last 3 years.

As for the second point, I totally agree. No idea why Solano was prioritized over more pressing positions.
    Probably because he was the only FA that didn't ROFL when they offered him a contract.

22. Likes:

mth123 (03-17-2022),REDREAD (03-17-2022)

After nearly two full offseasons of moves they made to shed payroll, the Cincinnati Reds shifted back to adding to the team on Tuesday.

The Reds signed infielder Donovan Solano to a big league contract. Solano, a utility player who can play second base, third base, shortstop and the outfield, hit .280 in 307 at-bats for the NL West champion San Francisco Giants in 2021.

Solano is the Reds’ biggest free agent signing since adding Nick Castellanos in 2020. Solano isn’t a power hitter like Castellanos, Solano hit a career-high seven home runs last season but the Reds added Solano to help fill a crucial area that they lost when Castellanos hit free agency.

Castellanos was one of the best hitters in baseball against left-handed pitching. Solano’s production spikes against left-handers.
    read full story here:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...BingNewsSearch

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post

My guess is Sollano is here because he said yes. The OF and pitchers they talked to probably laughed and walked away.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

25. Likes:

REDREAD (03-17-2022)

Turn Off Ads?