Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Donovan Solano

Re: Reds sign Donovan Solano

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I guess I think we've already reached that point. I was there when they waived Miley. I'm all about 2023 this year.
    With as hair brained as this off-season has seemed it could all change with one or two moves. I’m at the edge of my seat to see what they do next. Not in a good way. But kinda like in the rubber neck at an accident way.
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 03-17-2022 at 03:26 PM.

2. Likes:

M2 (03-17-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Lopez put up a .522 OPS in his debut season. So no, he’s not like Donovan Solano who has up a .789 OPS over the last three MLB seasons.

The Reds needed a guy who crushes righties, and that is Solano. He looks to be much more than a bench piece for them. He looks to be the RH side of DH platoon and someone who can spell nearly every player at any position except catcher.

He likely gets close 500 PA’s as a Red this season and I don’t see Lopez as ever being that guy.
    His "debut season" was 23 PA. Meanwhile, he crushed the upper minors. What happened in the past is only important in so far as it informs what is likely to happen in the future. So let's look at that.

For 2022, Lopez projects to something like .270/.330/.370. He's also a plus fielder IIRC. He's 26 and likely to be plateauing at worse, very possibly getting better.

For 2022, Solano projects to something like .275/.325/.400. He's an average at best fielder, if versatile. He's 34 and likely to be getting worse. 2B in particular have a history of falling off quickly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing Lopez is better than Solano nor a guy to be terribly excited about. It's that, when I'm pinching pennies, I'm spending the budget in the areas that provide maximum improvement over what I already have in house. I'm not spending $4.5MM for what is maybe a marginal upgrade on the bench. I'd also argue that when you're a 75ish win team, you need to be taking high variance risks, not locking in your current talent level.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 03-17-2022 at 03:35 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    With gas hair brained as this off-season has seemed it could all change with one or two moves. I’m at the edge of my seat to see what they do next. Not in a good way. But kinda like in the rubber neck at an accident way.
    They are dumping assets and replacing them with fringe hangers on at this point.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

7. Likes:

REDREAD (03-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    His "debut season" was 23 PA. Meanwhile, he crushed the upper minors. What happened in the past is only important in so far as it informs what is likely to happen in the future. So let's look at that.

For 2022, Lopez projects to something like .270/.330/.370. He's also a plus fielder IIRC. He's 26 and likely to be plateauing at worse, very possibly getting better.

For 2022, Solano projects to something like .275/.325/.400. He's an average at best fielder, if versatile. He's 34 and likely to be getting worse. 2B in particular have a history of falling off quickly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing Lopez is better than Solano nor a guy to be terribly excited about. It's that, when I'm pinching pennies, I'm spending the budget in the areas that provide maximum improvement over what I already have in house. I'm not spending $4.5MM for what is maybe a marginal upgrade on the bench. I'd also argue that when you're a 75ish win team, you need to be taking high variance risks, not locking in your current talent level.
    You know as well as anyone that comparing projections based on minor league stats and projections based on a over 600 MLB games should never be done. The latter are significantly more accurate than the former. And that accuracy and level of certainty is what the Reds are paying for.

Sanmartin projects to be very similar to Minor next season. But nearly everyone understands that's adding Minor is a meaningful and well spent improvement, due to the level of certainty of his projections.

As for the your last paragraph. As I posted numerous times, the Reds project to be around a 77-82 wins team. With the expanded playoffs, every bit of production, runs and wins is valuable to a team like the Reds.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Can we all stop complaining and just appreciate the fact we have the Hurdy Gurdy Man in tow?

10. Likes:

HokieRed (03-18-2022),M2 (03-18-2022),NC Reds (06-20-2022),Revering4Blue (03-17-2022),Tadasimha (03-18-2022),westofyou (03-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Can we all stop complaining and just appreciate the fact we have the Hurdy Gurdy Man in tow?

Hail Atlantas!

Way down below the ocean, where I wanna be, she may be…..

12. Likes:

HokieRed (03-18-2022),Old school 1983 (03-17-2022)

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr

David Bell said there is a good chance Donovan Solano is activated from the IL before Tuesday’s series opener vs. the Dodgers.

I thought this was interesting

Donovan Solano started at shortstop for Louisville in what could've been the final game of his rehab assignment.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 06-20-2022 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

Donovan Solano started at shortstop for Louisville in what could've been the final game of his rehab assignment.
    He came up just short on two balls he hit Friday night. One he got under a bit too much to left and another he flew out to dead center on a ball that wouldve gone out anywhere else in the park. The ball was definitely popping off his bat, he looks ready.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Sanmartin projects to be very similar to Minor next season. But nearly everyone understands that's adding Minor is a meaningful and well spent improvement, due to the level of certainty of his projections.

As for the your last paragraph. As I posted numerous times, the Reds project to be around a 77-82 wins team. With the expanded playoffs, every bit of production, runs and wins is valuable to a team like the Reds.
    Was this parody? If so, the condescending tone in which the outlandish statements were made was a nice touch.

16. Likes:

M2 (06-20-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

I have to think this means Matt Reynolds' days are numbered

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I have to think this means Matt Reynolds' days are numbered
    I was going to say the same thing. That's unfortunate for Reynolds as he's been decent in his role playing a lot of positions. That move seems likely unless the Reds decide to make a major decision on Moose and I don't see that happening.

19. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (06-21-2022)

Cincinnati Reds receive some good news with injured players as Donovan Solano returns
    It’s been a longer than expected wait for Donovan Solano after injuring his hamstring in spring training, but he was finally back on a Major League roster Tuesday.

Solano was activated from the 60-day injured list before the Cincinnati Reds’ series opener against the Los Angeles Dodgers at Great American Ball Park. Nick Lodolo was transferred to the 60-day IL as a procedural move to make room for Solano on the 40-man roster.

Solano had 10 hits in 29 at-bats (.345 batting average) in nine games on his rehab assignment with four doubles, a homer, two walks and four strikeouts.

“My timing was good,” said Solano, “You know, hitting is up and down. Sometimes, you start the season hot. Sometimes, you start the season cold. I feel great. I feel like my timing is in the right spot. Hopefully, it’ll continue what I’m feeling.”

Solano spent the last three seasons with the San Francisco Giants and carved out a regular platoon role. He doesn’t have a clear path to playing time in the Reds’ infield with Brandon Drury entrenched at third base, but manager David Bell says he will find regular at-bats for Solano against more than just left-handed pitching.

The Reds have only three true outfielders on their 26-man roster, but Max Schrock and Matt Reynolds are backup outfield options. Solano played the last game of his rehab assignment at shortstop and could become an option to backup Kyle Farmer.

“We were really excited to acquire him,” Bell said, “and in spring training he had the injury, so it's been a tough recovery for him. But he's healthy now and we know how good of a player he is. So, he's definitely going to help us.”

The Reds are entering a stretch where they will face back-to-back lefties against the Dodgers, Tyler Anderson and Clayton Kershaw. It looks like they’ll miss lefties Carlos Rodón and Alex Wood when they travel to San Francisco, but they could face another in their following series against the Chicago Cubs.

“I’m ready for whatever position, whatever situation,” Solano said. “I think everybody here is ready to help the team in any way. You know, I’ve got to enjoy every single moment on this club and the moments ahead.”

full article here:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...BingNewsSearch

Jamie Ramsey
    @Jamieblog

Love this note from our friends at ⁦@EliasSports….

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jamieblog...785223/photo/1

22. Likes:

Assembly Hall (07-26-2022),cumberlandreds (07-27-2022)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I'd love to get Solano back on another one-year value-building deal.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    I'd love to get Solano back on another one-year value-building deal.
    And Solano would love to get a two year deal rewarding him for his good numbers.

25. Likes:

Sea Ray (07-27-2022)

Turn Off Ads?