Turn Off Ads?
Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Reds bullpen, currently

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Reds bullpen, currently

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Turnarounds happen in a player's 30s about as often as I get hit by lightning. And turnaround implies there was a time when he was ever good to begin with. He's a fringe guy who is benefitting from a lucky HR/FB rate. All his other rates are in line with his career and have added up to a 5 ERA for that career.
    Relievers come out of nowhere to have a passable season or two in middle relief kind of all the time

2. Likes:

757690 (10-02-2022),Chip R (10-03-2022),Ron Madden (10-02-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Your definition of solid is wildly different than mine.
    109 ERA+ over the past 5 seasons. That seems like the very definition of solid for a middle reliever.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Relievers come out of nowhere to have a passable season or two in middle relief kind of all the time
    And its usually a fluke that isn't repeatable.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Adding Lucas Luetge as another pitcher they had here and never got anything out of him. I harp on these things because this team cannot afford to miss on this stuff. They are truly the opposite of what the Rays can do with limited resources. Or extreme cheapness.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    109 ERA+ over the past 5 seasons. That seems like the very definition of solid for a middle reliever.
    Had a 6.75 ERA in 2022 prior to being outrighted
    Had a 6.4 ERA in 2021
    Had a 5.9 K/9 in 2020
    Had a 5.3 BB/9 in 2018

Doesn't equal solid.

Solid to me is a player who hasn't been passed through 29 other clubs' waiver wires in the past 150 days ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Good luck with his AAAA replacement.
    Why must he be replaced by a AAAA player? This club can't find more proven relievers this off-season?

Has he pitched well since his contract been repurchased? Absolutely.

Is there anything in his past to assume he'll pitch this well going forward. Absolutely not. (had a career 1.4 HR/9 rate and a 1.52 WHIP entering this season)

Had a 6.4 ERA in 2021
    Had a 5.9 K/9 in 2020
    Had a 5.3 BB/9 in 2018

Doesn't equal solid.

Solid to me is a player who hasn't been passed through 29 other clubs' waiver wires in the past 150 days ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Why must he be replaced by a AAAA player? This club can't find more proven relievers this off-season?
    Reds won’t pay for enough proven relievers to fully re-stock this pen beyond Diaz and a few other keepers. If they cut guys like Farmer, they’ll go well into the land of AAAA guys to fill the pen.

Unless one thinks Reds will spend on, say, four proven relievers. More likely one, two, or possibly none.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-02-2022 at 06:23 PM.

Had a 6.4 ERA in 2021
    Had a 5.9 K/9 in 2020
    Had a 5.3 BB/9 in 2018

Doesn't equal solid.

- - - Updated - - -

Dude, that is one of the most impressive examples of cherry picking I have every seen. Congratulations.

Middle relievers are by definition the worst pitchers on the pitching staff. They aren’t going to have shiny stats. If they did, they wouldn’t be middle relievers. The also tend to be volatile. The best way to judge them is to look at how they perform over many years. League average over 5 seasons is solid for a middle reliever, no matter how hard you try to spin it.

- - - Updated - - -

Has he pitched well since his contract been repurchased? Absolutely.

Is there anything in his past to assume he'll pitch this well going forward. Absolutely. A 109 ERA+ over the past 5 seasons.
    FIFY

Buck Farmer's career ERA+ was an 83 entering the 2022 season.

You'd argue water wasn't wet with me at this point, it's exhausting.

Buck Farmer's career ERA+ was an 83 entering the 2022 season.

You'd argue water wasn't wet with me at this point, it's exhausting.
    I already showed that he had a terrible start to his career, but then developed into a reliable middle reliever for the past 5 seasons. Keep up.

When projecting a player, you look at what he has done over the last few years, weighing what he has done most recently. Farmer has had these ERA+ over the last 5 seasons”

2018: 108
    2019: 128
    2020: 121
    2021: 68
    2022: 114

That is solid, reliable decent, whatever term you want to use. He has had one off year in the last 5 seasons, and above average the other 4. You would be hard pressed to fine middle relievers who were better than that over the past 5 seasons.

Question seems pretty simple to me. Can you find 15 relievers better than Buck Farmer? Because that's how many you are really going to need. If you can, release him. Good luck.

14. Likes:

Kc61 (10-03-2022),Old school 1983 (10-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Question seems pretty simple to me. Can you find 15 relievers better than Buck Farmer? Because that's how many you are really going to need. If you can, release him. Good luck.
    and I think the answer is easily yes if they are willing to try. If they aren't willing, I guess it doesn't really matter who is out there.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    and I think the answer is easily yes if they are willing to try. If they aren't willing, I guess it doesn't really matter who is out there.
    You know the Reds are not going to come up with 15 relievers better than Farmer. They might add two, maybe. This is the team whose high flyers have been Doolittle and Strickiand for under $2 million each.

They might add one or two serious relievers. That should be the operating premise based on the last several years. It’s actually optimistic based on that history.
    Last edited by Kc61; 10-03-2022 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    You know the Reds are not going to add 15 relievers better than Farmer. They might add two, maybe. This is the team whose high flyers have been Doolittle and Strickiand for under $2 million each.

They might add one or two serious relievers. That should be the operating premise based on the last several years. It’s actually optimistic based on that history.
    Diaz, Antone, SanMartin, Cessa, Santillan is five. A spot for the minor league shuttle is a must to manage workload (Kuhnel??). Add a RH and a lefty who are actually good and there are the 8 guys for the bullpen. Connor Overton would be an alternative to Santillan or Kuhnel. As a veteran with no options, Farmer can't hang out in AAA as depth, so once you get to 8, there isn't room for him unless he's willing to come back on a minor league deal (which is what I've said all along).
    Last edited by mth123; 10-03-2022 at 12:45 PM.

Farmer will be a free agent this offseason. No need to release him.

The Reds will build a list of free agent relievers that they will target. My guess is that Farmer will be on that list, but near the bottom of the list. He’s a decent option for 2023, but there are better ones that will be available. I hope the Reds find better options, but I would be fine if they end up signing him for 2023.

Turn Off Ads?