Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Reds bullpen, currently

Re: Reds bullpen, currently

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    3.05 FIP, striking out 10.3 per nine, 1.3 WHIP, 2 homers allowed in 42 outings.

He’s doing good enough to make an 8-man Reds bullpen to begin next season.
    4.76 BB/9 and 4.5% HR/FB rate. Arb eligible, out of options, turns 32 in February. Try to trade and non-tender if you can't. Offer him a minor league deal if you think you need him as depth.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    4.76 BB/9 and 4.5% HR/FB rate. Arb eligible, out of options, turns 32 in February. Try to trade and non-tender if you can't. Offer him a minor league deal if you think you need him as depth.
    35 hits allowed in 45 innings. Good luck with his AAAA replacement.

35 hits allowed in 45 innings. Good luck with his AAAA replacement.
    As I said, sign somebody better. If there is no plan to bring in better guys, it doesn't matter who the batting tee du 'jure ends up being.

Farmer has a 5+ career ERA with a career walk rate better than what he's done this year. His Career GB rate is better than what he's done this year. His career FB velo is consistent with what he's done this year. The only things different is a slight uptick in K rate and huge outlier HR/FB rate. HR/FB rate goes back to normal, that 5+ Career ERA will rear its ugly head. I don't mess with that on a 32 year old stopgap. I give that spot to a longer-term guy they bring in or younger live arm and see what develops, 2023 is about finding answers not stopgaps. Fill the spot or look for guys who might fill it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Reds Baseball 2022/2023: Arguing over Buck Freaking Farmer!

Catch the Fever!

6. Likes:

HokieRed (10-02-2022),Wonderful Monds (10-02-2022)

As I said, sign somebody better. If there is no plan to bring in better guys, it doesn't matter who the batting tee du 'jure ends up being.

Farmer has a 5+ career ERA with a career walk rate better than what he's done this year. His Career GB rate is better than what he's done this year. His career FB velo is consistent with what he's done this year. The only things different is a slight uptick in K rate and huge outlier HR/FB rate. HR/FB rate goes back to normal, that 5+ Career ERA will rear its ugly head. I don't mess with that on a 32 year old stopgap. I give that spot to a longer-term guy they bring in or younger live arm and see what develops, 2023 is about finding answers not stopgaps. Fill the spot or look for guys who might fill it.
    You also said bring up (rush) unready minor leaguers. But whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post

Catch the Fever!
    Not just Farmer. Philosophically, there isn't reason to mess with 30 something career minor league shuttle guys. Sign long term answers or look at younger live arms.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, you said bring up (rush) unready minor leaguers. But whatever.
    I said fast track guys with big arms who they are trying to make into starters when I think their destiny is in the bullpen. But I said orignally when I suggested non-tendering Farmer that they need to bring in 3 late inning relievers with at least one lefty. Otherwise, fast track some kids. Bullpen is a place that can be done because you don't need 3 major league caliber pitches to pitch 2 innings per week.
    Last edited by mth123; 10-02-2022 at 03:27 PM.

I hope the Reds don’t have Farmer on their roster next year, but you are overlooking a central part of his career, which is that he has been solid for the past 5 seasons. He’s a proven, solid, league average middle reliever. Odds are good that next season, whoever he pitches for, will receive around league average production from him as a middle reliever.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Farmer is going to be here. Just like Warren they will try to squeeze more out of him that they go this year.

I also mentioned about 4 pitchers that were dreck or even less successful than Farmer before this year. No one responded to that because I don’t have fancy FIPX or whatever stats. 2 of them on Houston. Even they kinda of dumpster dived. And this team. Well they do nothing but that and are not spending money as of yet to do anything but go diving.

NM
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 10-02-2022 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post

Catch the Fever!
    Haha!
    Here's the article I posted that I believe started this debate.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...23/ar-AA12u6hy

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Haha!
    Here's the article I posted that I believe started this debate.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...23/ar-AA12u6hy

Buck Farmer will outlive us all. Look even NY Yankee blog had an article on acquiring Farmer based on his deep numbers around the trading deadline. So others have noticed his work this year. Even if it’s a mirage.

14. Likes:

Ron Madden (10-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Buck Farmer will outlive us all. Look even NY Yankee blog had an article on acquiring Farmer based on his deep numbers around the trading deadline. So others have noticed his work this year. Even if it’s a mirage.
    Buck Farmer is so in demand. So in demand, that he cleared waivers and was outrighted off the Reds roster just 5 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I hope the Reds don’t have Farmer on their roster next year, but you are overlooking a central part of his career, which is that he has been solid for the past 5 seasons. He’s a proven, solid, league average middle reliever. Odds are good that next season, whoever he pitches for, will receive around league average production from him as a middle reliever.
    Your definition of solid is wildly different than mine.

17. Likes:

mth123 (10-02-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Buck Farmer is so in demand. So in demand, that he cleared waivers and was outrighted off the Reds roster just 5 months ago.
    So were a few others that I’ve already mentioned. On the Yankees. On the Astros. Maybe the Reds finally got one right. I’m not saying over spend for the guy. But don’t act like turnarounds can’t happen. That’s what we expected this pitching coach to do. Turn water into reliable serviceable relievers while we wait for the magical minor league beans to take fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    So were a few others that I’ve already mentioned. On the Yankees. On the Astros. Maybe the Reds finally got one right. I’m not saying over spend for the guy. But don’t act like turnarounds can’t happen. That’s what we expected this pitching coach to do. Turn water into reliable serviceable relievers while we wait for the magical minor league beans to take fruit.
    Turnarounds happen in a player's 30s about as often as I get hit by lightning. And turnaround implies there was a time when he was ever good to begin with. He's a fringe guy who is benefitting from a lucky HR/FB rate. All his other rates are in line with his career and have added up to a 5 ERA for that career.

Turn Off Ads?