Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds bullpen, currently

Re: Reds bullpen, currently

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Since the bullpen purge of the pre-2021 off-season, the Reds have gone to a cheap model in the pen. They don’t spend, they pick up scrap heap guys with potential upside. They use mostly their second and third tiers of pitching prospects in the pen.

I think one can officially say that this approach is an unmitigated failure.
    It’s a real stinker.

2. Likes:

fondfoat (07-04-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Art Warren and Luis Cessa turning into absolute batting tees was not a development I'd expected in 2022.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

5. Likes:

marcshoe (07-08-2022),Old school 1983 (07-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Art Warren and Luis Cessa turning into absolute batting tees was not a development I'd expected in 2022.
    I expected Warren. Career minor leaguer at age 29 doesn't bode well. I thought Cessa would be solid.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

7. Likes:

757690 (07-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Pure dumpster fire
    it's a waste of a perfectly good dumpster. The best pitcher in the pen on the 40 man roster is injured, unproven and a bit wild. Diaz.

All the rest could be fired tomorrow, replaced by guys in AAA and AA and likely do no worse. Or if they did, one would likely hit the bull.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

LanceMcAlister
    @LanceMcAlister

The Reds bullpen, which had an 8.1 inning scoreless streak entering the 9th last night........

tossed 11.2 innings and allowed one run in the DH today.

10:31 PM · Jul 7, 2022

It’s time for Reds to turn over much of the bullpen personnel. While a small sample, those who did well yesterday might get a longer look. Some of those who’ve been around for awhile, Strickland, Kuhnel, Moreta maybe get moved or sent down.

I know the pen has been injured and Reds are just trying to keep afloat. But the performance has been so terrible that they need to give some new people a chance. Maybe add some more possibilities in upcoming trades.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-08-2022 at 05:56 AM.

11. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (07-08-2022)

Bring back Ryan Hendrix. In his 23 appearances in Louisville since being sent down, he has been scored upon in just 3 of those games.

13. Likes:

Kc61 (07-08-2022)

Wanta be sick? Take a look at Cionel Perez's numbers. Maybe it's something the Reds' pitching coaches do (or don't do).

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Wanta be sick? Take a look at Cionel Perez's numbers. Maybe it's something the Reds' pitching coaches do (or don't do).
    And look at all the injuries to Reds’ “front line” relievers.

They need to take a hard look at their acquisition, development, and use of relief pitchers, based on these results.

16. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (07-08-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Perez is being used in short stints.

33 appearances, 28 innings.

Not only facing LHH, though managers may be pinch hitting with righties to face him.

Good idea by Orioles (since it’s working).

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    And look at all the injuries to Reds’ “front line” relievers.

They need to take a hard look at their acquisition, development, and use of relief pitchers, based on these results.
    I have been thinking the same thing. It may not just be a talent spending money issue.
    Since 2018 we had these relievers that are doing well this year Raley(TB) Peralta(NYY) Iglesias (LAA) Boxberger (Mil) Wisler (TB) Rainey (Was) Perez (Bal) Givens (CHC)
    We also have had a history of guys pitching well then pitch poorly and then injured or pitch well then become injured
    Wilson, Warren, Cessa, Antone, Diaz, Sims even Garrett and Lorenzen.
    We have brought in relievers with solid careers as reliever like Strickland and Doolittle and they struggle We Oliver Perez in spring training in 2018 and cut him and he had a 1.45 ERA that year with Cleveland

19. Likes:

Kc61 (07-08-2022)

One other thing I noticed about our Pen that most of our relievers are carbon copies. They are righties that throw 94-96 FB with 85 slider.
    Pitch mixes are very similar amongst our relievers it is like the opposing hitters knows what is coming.
    We do not give opposing hitters much variation except San Martin who is a soft tossing lefty.

21. Likes:

757690 (07-08-2022),Boss-Hog (07-11-2022),Coopdaddy67 (07-09-2022),Kc61 (07-08-2022),Rowsdower (07-08-2022)

All excellent points being made.

I’ve wondered about converted starters like Antone, Sims, Santillan. It’s a big change to relieving. Repeated high leverage throwing, shorter stints but many more appearances. Sometimes pitching on consecutive days.

Are these guys on a proper schedule to adapt gradually to the new gig? Maybe so, it’s just a question because the injury rate seems so high.

And perhaps adding a few more vets who’ve consistently worked on an MLB reliever schedule would result in fewer injuries, though that might entail a little more spending.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-08-2022 at 12:02 PM.

The Reds released Brox after bringing him for reasons? He’s pitched well at 2 different places since then. Very few agree. I just think this park psychology messes with most pitchers at some point.

A few more outings like Diaz had tonight, please.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?