Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds bullpen, currently

Re: Reds bullpen, currently

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    If the question is still who to move to reduce the bullpen numbers, I think Tony Santillan answered that tonight.
    I think He is one of the reds most talented relievers. To me he is not being used enough to keep sharp I also feel that way about Warren. Their problems stem from lack of command

2. Turn Off Ads?

If he had better command, he'd get used more.

Diaz now down to 0.59 ERA on the year, 0.91 WHIP, 10.6 K/9

One of the true bright spots this year.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

5. Likes:

Chris Utz (05-18-2022),cumberlandreds (05-11-2022),Old school 1983 (05-11-2022),Ron Madden (05-11-2022),Tony Cloninger (05-11-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    I think He is one of the reds most talented relievers. To me he is not being used enough to keep sharp I also feel that way about Warren. Their problems stem from lack of command
    Yes, though earlier in the season Tony seemed to be used too often. Now too little, I agree.

One thing about young relievers, they are often inconsistent. Consistency is one area that often develops as guys get into dozens, if not hundreds, of games.

I’d like the Reds to be a little heavier on the experienced side of the bullpen for this reason. Costs more, yes, but there should be a balance; experienced, younger, lefty, righty, guys with different kinds of pitches too.

7. Likes:

mth123 (05-11-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Yes, though earlier in the season Tony seemed to be used too often. Now too little, I agree.

One thing about young relievers, they are often inconsistent. Consistency is one area that often develops as guys get into dozens, if not hundreds, of games.

I’d like the Reds to be a little heavier on the experienced side of the bullpen for this reason. Costs more, yes, but there should be a balance; experienced, younger, lefty, righty, guys with different kinds of pitches too.
    Agreed. Next year there needs to be at least 2 vet lefties brought in. A closer too if no one claims the role this year. I think the righties they have will be getting some solid experience this year

Right now we just need to find some people who have some chance of getting people out. In the last two days, Santillan, Strickland, and Moreta have all disqualified themselves from being on a good major league staff.

10. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (05-16-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

The only? But—and I’m not picking on you—don’t teams turn up at least one gem every season? It’s not unusual or a departure.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

Alexis Díaz continues to be one of the Reds most impressive players.

He stranded the bases loaded with a strikeout in the fifth inning. Pitching in a big situation, Díaz got back-to-back swings and misses with his fastball.

13. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-13-2022),Old school 1983 (05-12-2022),TRF (05-13-2022)

What the relievers in the Cincinnati Reds bullpen are working on this season

As the Reds bullpen continues to develop, the seven active relievers who have spent the most time in the Reds bullpen explained what they’re doing best this season and what they’re working on.
    Read Story:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...BingNewsSearch

PITTSBURGH -- As his offseason as a free agent stretched through all of the abbreviated Spring Training without a signing, veteran left-handed pitcher Ross Detwiler contemplated retiring.

But on Opening Day, Detwiler signed a Minor League contract with the Reds. Then, on Saturday, the 36-year-old had his contract selected from Triple-A Louisville. To make room on the roster, right-handed reliever Robert Dugger was designated for assignment.

“There’s more in the tank. You don’t want to sit back and say, ‘What if?’ later on down the road,” Detwiler said. “Once you shut it down, I’m 36. There’s no coming back. This year, the ball is coming out of my hand really well. I developed a cutter last year and started messing around with a changeup the week before I signed here.”

Detwiler made his Reds debut on Saturday vs. the Pirates, pitching a scoreless sixth inning with a walk and two strikeouts in Cincinnati's 3-1 loss at PNC Park.

In seven appearances for Louisville, Detwiler recorded a 3.86 ERA and a 1.57 WHIP over seven innings. He walked five and struck out seven. In 53 games last season for the Marlins and Padres, he posted a 4.64 ERA.

“It’s amazing. I never realized how much Spring Training actually mattered until I missed it this year,” Detwiler said.
    “The first couple of games, just tried to get the feeling back.

Then I was attacking hitters again and trying to get back to the feeling I had at the end of last year.”
    https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/ross-d...g-reds-bullpen

New Reds reliever Ross Detwiler reinvented himself to stay in the big leagues
    Ross Detwiler, a 36-year-old left-hander said he learned early last season that he probably wasn’t cut out to be a starter anymore.

He made five starts for the Miami Marlins. In two of his last three starts, Detwiler allowed at least five runs, and he allowed at least three home runs in both of those games.

After that, Detwiler realized that in 2022, he’d likely either need to be a reliever or retire.

Late last season, Detwiler started to develop a cutter. Near the end of March, Detwiler began to try out a changeup. The pitches were clicking for him, and he signed a minor league deal with the Reds on April 7.

“I’ve come back and forth (between starting and relieving) my whole career,” Detwiler said. “It’s different. I liked the four days between starting, but there was so much pressure and anxiety that led up to it.

In the bullpen, you have to be ready at all times and get rid of that anxiety or else you won’t survive very long.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...BingNewsSearch
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 05-17-2022 at 01:35 PM.

17. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-17-2022),Revering4Blue (05-18-2022)

The modern bullpen. Can’t pitch guys two days in a row. Can’t pitch your supposed late inning guys pitch other than when your team is in the lead. They are being pitched too much and worn down. They are not being pitched enough. Then you have Bell who is beholden to roles that people would mock Baker about.
    After a month you see who’s pitching good and producing. Start using then more but not 3 days in a row but don’t be afraid to use 2 days in a row.

Is David Bell the only one left who still thinks Art Warren should be closing games?

20. Likes:

CySeymour (05-17-2022),HokieRed (05-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 0-2 Count View Post
    Is David Bell the only one left who still thinks Art Warren should be closing games?

Price says yes. Hoover. Kevin Gregg. All good options until lessons are learned

Seems to me that Cessa is the obvious candidate to close for a while. He's not going to be lockdown but he ought to be at least marginally competent.

23. Likes:

Redsfan6272 (05-17-2022)

Turn Off Ads?