Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds bullpen, currently

Re: Reds bullpen, currently

I think this bullpen is really only missing a legitimate closer and another solid LHRP. None of the current crop looks the part to me. But that can be fixed with some spending cash.

Santillan, Warren, Hoffman, Cessa and Diaz are a solid 6-8th inning RH group. Wilson is fine as a 2nd lefty. Add a closer and LH setup and I'd be good with the pen. All others can fight the AAA shuttle.

2. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-19-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Reds will need to make two pitching moves in the next ten days. One, to make room for Minor. Two, to get down to 13 pitchers after May 29.

I would send Gutierrez down to work out of the bullpen. Fangraphs says he has options.

One thing I’d do is keep the young guys like Kuhnel and Solomon in the big leagues.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-19-2022 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by herbdizzle View Post
    I think this bullpen is really only missing a legitimate closer and another solid LHRP. None of the current crop looks the part to me. But that can be fixed with some spending cash.

Santillan, Warren, Hoffman, Cessa and Diaz are a solid 6-8th inning RH group. Wilson is fine as a 2nd lefty. Add a closer and LH setup and I'd be good with the pen. All others can fight the AAA shuttle.
    If you mean the Reds need to add two very good back-end relievers, I agree, that would help matters considerably.

That’s a big ask with this team, they don’t spend on relievers.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-19-2022 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If you mean the Reds need to add two very good back-end relievers, I agree, that would help matters considerably.

That’s a big ask with this team, they don’t spend on relievers.
    Yeah for sure the Reds need 2 back end guys. I guess my point is the Reds have 3/4 of a good pen if you put the referenced guys in the right spot. Don't know who that closer is but it's a huge hole.

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr

Jeff Hoffman could be in line for a bigger bullpen role. He's been excellent across the last three weeks, he owns a 0.79 ERA in 11 1/3 innings allowing just one earned run and he's stranded all four of his inherited runners.

8. Likes:

HokieRed (05-25-2022)

This is overdue. He may not do well at it, but he's certainly earned the opportunity.

10. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-26-2022)

Luis Castillo needed 32 pitches to work his way through the first inning and gave up two runs.

From there, Castillo settled in. He struck out the side in the third — Rafael Ortega, Happ and Suzuki, the heart of the Cubs order.

After the first inning, only two runners reached base through the fifth inning, but Castillo was pulled after five innings and 94 pitches.

The much-maligned bullpen kept the Cubs’ bats quiet — runless innings from Tony Santillan, Alexis Diaz and Art Warren before Strickland made is shaky save in the ninth.

The ninth inning was a finger-biter for the Reds. They led 4-2 with one out when Strickland hit Wisdom. He then walked Alfonso Rivas on a full count, putting the potential tying runs on base.

Pinch-hitter Willson Contreras drove one to deep right center, and Nick Senzel speedily chased it down with a leap against the wall, one of three ultra-special defensive plays Senzel made on this night.

Pinch-hitter Nicol Hoerner blooped a single to right, scoring Wisdom to make it 4-3 and put the tying run on third.

Strickland ended it by striking out Christopher Morel. It was Strickland’s first save in three years.
    story here:
    McCoy: Votto’s bat, Senzel’s glove help Reds beat Cubs
    https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...JTO3O3JLNRL7Y/

Joel Luckhaupt
    @jluckhaupt

NL Lowest ERA (min 20 IP)
    PIT David Bednar 0.76
    CIN Alexis Díaz 0.87
    SDP Nabil Crismatt 1.25
    CHC Keegan Thompson 1.54
    CIN Jeff Hoffman 1.59

I should probably also note that Hoffman has allowed 53% of his inherited runners to score - including 8 of 11 that he's inherited from a SP - which doesn't count against his ERA.

13. Likes:

Red Raindog (05-26-2022)

Diaz might be the Reds all-star rep at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    Diaz might be the Reds all-star rep at this point.
    Stephenson should get that honor, I think.

16. Likes:

CaiGuy (05-27-2022),mth123 (05-26-2022),Old school 1983 (05-27-2022),Revering4Blue (05-27-2022)

I see no reason why both shouldn't be on the team.

18. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-27-2022),Old school 1983 (05-27-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I see no reason why both shouldn't be on the team.
    There is a reason why Reds will probably have one all star. 14-30 is the reason. Rightly or wrongly.

On the subject of the bullpen, kudos to Joel Kuhnel who has earned a longer look. 11.25 K/9, 1.13 BB/9 in his eight innings with the Reds. Not afraid to throw strikes, as some Reds’ pitchers seem to be on occasion.

It’s taken him awhile, and the jury is still out, but good to see him be effective so far.

20. Likes:

Mitri (05-27-2022),mth123 (05-27-2022),Revering4Blue (05-27-2022)

Warren is now or should be or should have been the last option out of the only option left in the bullpen.

Like Jerry Spradlin. Milt Hill. Tim Birstas. Bill Landrum. Really he should not be here any longer.

I was going to start a thread on the Red's bullpen, and then saw this one.

I've had a lot going on the last two months (deaths in family), and haven't followed the Reds much at all. Other then checking box scores in the morning. And while this team has various issues, this BP, so far, is the pits! 2nd worst in MLB (if I'm correct). Saturday night's game - gave up 7 runs in the last three innings. Is this primarily due to injury, or lack of investment put towards the bullpen?

In this day and age where starters are giving you 5-6 innings, 2X thru the order, games are often decided late. And the reliever's role has become even more invaluable.

Read this article recently ..... https://www.vsin.com/mlb-bullpen-pow...y-they-matter/

Reds are #21
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I was going to start a thread on the Red's bullpen, and then saw this one.

I've had a lot going on the last two months (deaths in family), and haven't followed the Reds much at all. Other then checking box scores in the morning. And while this team has various issues, this BP, so far, is the pits! 2nd worst in MLB (if I'm correct). Saturday night's game - gave up 7 runs in the last three innings. Is this primarily due to injury, or lack of investment put towards the bullpen?

In this day and age where starters are giving you 5-6 innings, 2X thru the order, games are often decided late. And the reliever's role has become even more invaluable.

Read this article recently ..... https://www.vsin.com/mlb-bullpen-pow...y-they-matter/

Reds are #21
    I think it's a little bit of both but mainly lack of investment. If they invested in a high leverage reliever and get a healthy Antone, pushing their current relievers 2 rungs down the leverage ladder will make a huge difference.
    Last edited by MoneyInTheBank; 06-05-2022 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Double Post

24. Likes:

GAC (06-06-2022),Old school 1983 (06-06-2022),Ron Madden (06-05-2022)

Turn Off Ads?