Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds bullpen, currently

Re: Reds bullpen, currently

I just don't want Greene to be in the pen as a long term convert. I would rather have a AAA rotation of Greene, Williamson, Lodollo, Ashcraft than to have them start the year in the MLB pen.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

2. Likes:

mth123 (03-17-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Interesting.

It's not necessarily Sims I like, but the combination of Sims, Wilson, and Hoffman (who looked like a nice little relief arm in limited innings last year) in the roles they're in.

They're the fourth, fifth, and sixth relievers on the team-- and maybe further down than that.
    I'm guessing the Reds view Sims as the closer. Its a better idea than Amir Garrett last year, but I think its a disaster in the making, We'll see about Wilson. Probably better than Doolittle last year. Doesn't make him a reliable arm.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I could absolutely see Hunter Greene start the year as a reliever to limit his innings and allow him to learn on the job. (In fact, I'd like to see it happen.) Graham Ashcraft could as well. Lodolo needs innings, or I could see him too. They might well convert Williamson or Riley O'Brien too. Any of them could be used in that role-- and thrive.
    Good analysis, just going to pick out this piece because this quartet of young arms is what excites me most about what we could see, in bits and pieces, from the 2022 club.

All 4 of Ashcraft, Greene, Lodolo and Williamson might see innings out of the Reds bullpen this year, but my strong suspicion is that if they do it will only be later in the year and as a kind of long relief transition to becoming major league starters in 2023 (provided they pitch well in 2022). I do not see the Reds converting any of these guys to relievers anytime soon. Could happen down the road, but they are going to get plenty of time to learn the starter's trade. For me, Williamson has the most ready arsenal and is the least likely to ever have to don a fireman's hat. I can't remember the team having a cadre of young starters getting ready to make the jump like this group. If they manage to put the final developmental touches on these guys (not a given), it'll really give the Reds a leg up in the coming years. Kind of like having Burrow on his rookie contract.

6. Likes:

HokieRed (03-18-2022)

Reds Bull Pen

Give me an idea how this will be slotted for relief? Is there a closer? I don't see one.

Re: Reds Bull Pen

Quote Originally Posted by zigbeenuthouse View Post
    Give me an idea how this will be slotted for relief? Is there a closer? I don't see one.
    Well the good news for the closer situation is that save oops will be minimal

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Uhhh

Lucas Sims
    Art Warren
    Luis Cessa
    Joel Kuhnel/Philip Diehl
    Justin Wilson
    Ryan Hendrix
    Ben Lively
    Buck Farmer? Trey Wingenter??

No idea who closes. Maybe Art Warren. Sims was bad at it. Cessa is a good setup man.

Doesn’t matter, really. Lot of chaff out there.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

New marketing spin, on bullpen from Krall:

“Hey you think our bullpen is bad, you should see our Outfield!”

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (03-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Uhhh

Lucas Sims
    Art Warren
    Luis Cessa
    Joel Kuhnel/Philip Diehl
    Justin Wilson
    Ryan Hendrix
    Ben Lively
    Buck Farmer? Trey Wingenter??

No idea who closes. Maybe Art Warren. Sims was bad at it. Cessa is a good setup man.

Doesn’t matter, really. Lot of chaff out there.
    I like Sims and Warren in set up, provided Sims stays healthy. couple of other guys on list MAY help like Cessa. No closer in this bunch.

So where are the bulls? All I see here are steers.

Cubs signed Givens.

What's up with the multiple threads on the same subjects lately?

16. Likes:

MikeS21 (03-17-2022),Old school 1983 (03-17-2022)

I like Lucas Sims, I wish he could just stay healthy

I’m on team Art Warren to close

19. Likes:

757690 (03-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I like Lucas Sims, I wish he could just stay healthy
    I feel like he needs to shore up his command too. If I were facing Sims, I'd stand up there with the bat on my shoulder and make him throw three pitches in the zone. He has so much spin and movement, not sure he could do it.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Sanmartin and Dunn could be useful in relief. I think that's where they'll eventually be used.

Warren
    Santillan
    Cessa
    Wilson
    Sims
    Hoffman
    Sanmartin
    Dunn/Moreta/Diaz

I'm guessing they're mostly done until the deadline.

Turn Off Ads?