Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds bullpen, currently

Re: Reds bullpen, currently

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    No doubt about that. Unless they sign 7-8 arms that are unquestionably better than him, he's a lock to be in the bullpen and get his chance to prove it. (Provided he's healthy.)

But he is still less than a proven commodity over the long term.
    What the reds do is take a guy like this and count on him for one of the main roles. They should bring in some more established track records for those roles and a guy like Antone should be slotted for the 5th or 6th man out of the pen. The guy from 2021 no longer exists. This is the double TJ, Tejay. What he did in 2021 gets him a roster spot, but its irrelevant as to what we should expect from this version and slotting him as teh closer or fireman would be a very Reds thing to do. So will scratching their head in May and wondering why the pen is so bad.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

Big Klu (08-13-2022),bm1475 (09-01-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    No doubt about that. Unless they sign 7-8 arms that are unquestionably better than him, he's a lock to be in the bullpen and get his chance to prove it. (Provided he's healthy.)

But he is still less than a proven commodity over the long term.
    Three WAR over two seasons with remarkably similar peripherals, IMO, indicate he's for real.

He's certainly a better option than anyone except perhaps Alexis Diaz-- who's far less of a sure thing.

Since the ASB Reds bullpen is sixth in MLB in ERA and FIP. Small sample, no pennant pressure, but maybe two years of sifting have led to some keepers in the pen. A reason for cautious optimism.

Here are the second half stats of Reds relievers with 10 or more relief outings excluding Strickland and DFA’d Detwiler:

Diaz, 17 IP, 1.06 ERA, 1.71 FIP, 13.76 K/9, 2.65 BB/9.

B. Farmer 16 2 IP, 2.70 ERA, 2.77 FIP, 8.1 K/9, 4.52 BB/9, 0 homers allowed.

Kuhnel, 17.1 IP, 3.12 ERA, 2.49 FIP, 6.75 K/9, 1.56 BB/9.

Gibaut, 16.1 IP, 3.86 ERA, 2.70 FIP, 14.88 K/9, 3.86 BB/9.

Sanmartin 11.1 IP, 5.56 ERA, 4.18 FIP, 10.32 K/9, 3.18 BB/9. 1.59 HR/9 despite high GB rate.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-31-2022 at 10:54 AM.

6. Likes:

GAC (09-01-2022),OldFashionedRed (08-31-2022)

Hopefully Farmer and Gibaut's past month's performance aren't fooling the Reds in to thinking they should be major parts of next year's club. Neither are anywhere near this good, and should not be penciled into next year's pen.

8. Likes:

mth123 (08-31-2022),Tom Servo (08-31-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    Hopefully Farmer and Gibaut's past month's performance aren't fooling the Reds in to thinking they should be major parts of next year's club. Neither are anywhere near this good, and should not be penciled into next year's pen.
    Not sure what’s meant by major part of next year’s club. Closer or set up men, sure. Hopefully Reds can and will do better. But the Reds will need a dozen or more relievers to make it through 2023. I’d keep guys who’ve done well this second half.

Otherwise it’s just the usual tryout camp from among suspects rather than prospects. And the traditional Reds “cheapest veterans alive” group.

I’d rather use some spots for guys who’ve succeeded with the team this second half. Adding more “prospects” and less “suspects” to that group.

The Reds are potentially getting Sims and Antone back next season. But how effective will they be? I think the Reds are on the hook for Strickland for another year. Wouldn't mind seeing them pick up one of those Japanese/Korean relievers that throw 1/4 sidearm. Get some ground ball outs. Of course with this infield defense, a ground ball out is no sure thing. Here's a thought: What if the Padres non-tender Josh Hader? Would he be a good pickup?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    The Reds are potentially getting Sims and Antone back next season. But how effective will they be? I think the Reds are on the hook for Strickland for another year. Wouldn't mind seeing them pick up one of those Japanese/Korean relievers that throw 1/4 sidearm. Get some ground ball outs. Of course with this infield defense, a ground ball out is no sure thing. Here's a thought: What if the Padres non-tender Josh Hader? Would he be a good pickup?
    Thankfully he's one and done.

I'd take a flier on Hader but I imagine several teams would too.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Joel Luckhaupt
    @jluckhaupt

Buck Farmer has been really good since coming back up to the big leagues. Coming into tonight, he had a 2.57 ERA (2.55 FIP) in 20 appearances since his return.

Reiver Sanmartin has a 2.65 ERA as a reliever, but it's not obvious because he's still trying to overcome his 19.85 ERA as a starter.

13. Likes:

HokieRed (09-01-2022)

I think you could convince me to leave one spot open for Buck Farmer or Reiver Sanmartin. With options, that's a way to get them both some MLB time.

The problem is that the Reds are notoriously slow in getting rid of veteran relief arms (ie, Farmer) who don't have it this year.

It’s way too soon to plan next year’s bullpen with specificity.

Right now, there are 4-5 relievers who’ve shown well in the second half. There will be ample room on the forty man roster to keep them over the winter.

Then in the spring, with hopefully some bullpen adds, you see what you’ve got.

There’s no reason to cut loose relatively young, inexpensive relievers who’ve done well.

16. Likes:

Ron Madden (09-01-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Thankfully he's one and done.

I'd take a flier on Hader but I imagine several teams would too.
    You're right. I confused him with Minor. But I wouldn't put it past them to bring him back.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    You're right. I confused him with Minor. But I wouldn't put it past them to bring him back.
    Minor has a $13M Team Option, $1M Buyout. No way he's coming back at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Minor has a $13M Team Option, $1M Buyout. No way he's coming back at that price.
    Reds will probably be working the phones to trade him along with someone good to avoid that 1M buyout
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Reds will probably be working the phones to trade him along with someone good to avoid that 1M buyout
    They already did, KC is covering the buyout.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Since the ASB Reds bullpen is sixth in MLB in ERA and FIP. Small sample, no pennant pressure, but maybe two years of sifting have led to some keepers in the pen. A reason for cautious optimism.

Here are the second half stats of Reds relievers with 10 or more relief outings excluding Strickland and DFA’d Detwiler:

Diaz, 17 IP, 1.06 ERA, 1.71 FIP, 13.76 K/9, 2.65 BB/9.

B. Farmer 16 2 IP, 2.70 ERA, 2.77 FIP, 8.1 K/9, 4.52 BB/9, 0 homers allowed.

Kuhnel, 17.1 IP, 3.12 ERA, 2.49 FIP, 6.75 K/9, 1.56 BB/9.

Gibaut, 16.1 IP, 3.86 ERA, 2.70 FIP, 14.88 K/9, 3.86 BB/9.

Sanmartin 11.1 IP, 5.56 ERA, 4.18 FIP, 10.32 K/9, 3.18 BB/9. 1.59 HR/9 despite high GB rate.
    Not a fan of BFarmer, but I've got no problem bringing in Gibaut (as long as he's not taking a roster spot for a young guy) - it's not like he can't be cut.

Turn Off Ads?