Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds bullpen, currently

Re: Reds bullpen, currently

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I feel like he needs to shore up his command too. If I were facing Sims, I'd stand up there with the bat on my shoulder and make him throw three pitches in the zone. He has so much spin and movement, not sure he could do it.

Just for funzies, here's his Statcast zone profiles.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savan...st-r-zones-mlb

Sims K'd almost 15 batters per 9 innings last year, so standing with the bat on your shoulder might be the only defense. His main issue last year, other than health, was giving up one or two too many home runs.

2. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-18-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Sanmartin and Dunn could be useful in relief. I think that's where they'll eventually be used.

Warren
    Santillan
    Cessa
    Wilson
    Sims
    Hoffman
    Sanmartin
    Dunn/Moreta/Diaz

I'm guessing they're mostly done until the deadline.
    If so, I recommend fans/viewers shutting off the close games after the seventh inning. Call it an early night.

It’s not a bad group of middle relievers, but there’s no depth in the back end. There’s Sims. Everyone else is a stretch.

You need at least 3 solid back end guys, I don’t think the Reds are even close. It’s a tryout camp for the key relief roles.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-18-2022 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If so, I recommend fans/viewers shutting off the close games after the seventh inning. Call it an early night.

It’s not a bad group of middle relievers, but there’s no depth in the back end. There’s Sims. Everyone else is a stretch.

You need at least 3 solid back end guys, I don’t think the Reds are even close. It’s a tryout camp for the key relief roles.
    Cessa proved to be a solid setup guy last season. I think Warren and Santillan have backend potential. They really could've used Givens there, but I really don't think they're trying.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Moustakas-Kimbrel swap, but other than that there aren't any real upgrades out there.

Cessa proved to be a solid setup guy last season. I think Warren and Santillan have backend potential. They really could've used Givens there, but I really don't think they're trying.
    Cubs got Givens on a short term deal for not much money. Why wouldn't the Reds even attempt that to solidify the back end? I think you're right that they aren't really trying to win. Or they plan to use the youngsters in the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Cubs got Givens on a short term deal for not much money. Why wouldn't the Reds even attempt that to solidify the back end? I think you're right that they aren't really trying to win. Or they plan to use the youngsters in the pen.
    Maybe they did try to bring him back, and Givens didn't want to have anything to do with going back to the circus. I grant you that being a Cub drains brain cells and makes you a bad person, so I'm not sure why any sane person would do that on purpose.

Givens is not a late inning option. He looked good at the end of last year only because the Reds pen was so awful before he was acquired.

He put up a 4.22 ERA with the Reds and a 4.34 FIP. He put a 4.54 FIP overall in 2021. He’s a solid middle reliever, but the Reds have plenty of those. He does not address the Reds back of the pen problem.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

9. Likes:

HokieRed (03-18-2022)

It was a small sample size, but Santillan put up closer numbers out of the pen in 26 innings last year. Hitters had a .172 .287 .333 .620 batting line and he K'd 12.2 per 9 with added life on his fastball. Obviously not a lot to go on, but the potential and stuff are there plus I think he has the proper mentality for it as well.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Moustakas-Kimbrel swap, but other than that there aren't any real upgrades out there.
    Agree that the list of good free agent relievers is now quite short.

And the Reds probably aren’t contenders anyway, so no big difference.

But the impact of this pattern - short changing the pen until the deadline - is negative. Even in a re-tooling year, it’s disheartening to everyone if you can’t hold leads late.

It’s not so much that the bullpen talent is bad, it’s ok. But they will be trying out guys for late inning spots, it’s like extended ST. They’ll be “figuring it out” for months, which seems to be the Reds’ current model.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post

The Cubs are in agreement with reliever Mychal Givens on a one-year, $5MM guarantee, reports Jesse Rogers of ESPN. Givens will make a $3.5MM salary next season, and there’s a $1.5MM buyout on a 2023 mutual option. The right-hander can make up to $6.25MM in bonuses, Rogers adds

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/...al-givens.html

Reds have enough options for starters, so if they gain Cueto they should slot in for closer. He would do outstanding.

Re: Reds Bull Pen

How about merge by mod? I missed the other thread

The Cincinnati Reds may be without one of their top relievers when they break camp in three weeks.

Lucas Sims had “a couple of hiccups” with his elbow and his back in his buildup for spring training and it’s possible he may start the season on the Injured List.

He’s healthy now, throwing a bullpen session Thursday, but the Reds don’t want to risk another injury by rushing his readiness before Opening Day.

The 27-year-old Sims is one of the top candidates to work as a closer or setup man this season.
    Story Continues Here:
    https://www.yahoo.com/now/cincinnati...193021062.html

One Lefty in the bullpen.. need another lefty

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan6272 View Post
    One Lefty in the bullpen.. need another lefty
    Sanmartin has a leg up on becoming the 8th reliever, IMO. Especially with Sims behind schedule.

Right now, I'd peg the Opening Day bullpen as:

Art Warren
    Tony Santillan
    Luis Cessa
    Justin Wilson
    Jeff Hoffman
    Zack Godley
    Dauri Moreta
    Reiver Sanmartin

That's not what I'd do, but I think that's what the Reds will do. (Assuming everyone else stays healthy and there are no more deals to be had.)

Fwiw, that's two optionable long/ middle relief arms plus Godley, who shouldn't be much of an impediment to release. (And perhaps Hoffman.)

Were I the GM, I'd think seriously about Greene, Williamson, or Ashcraft as a relief arm (to limit innings, learn to pitch at the major league level, and learn from the best instructors possible). I would only look to add one at this point, but migh consider splitting the season into thirds and adding one for the first two months, one for the second two months, and one for the last two months as a way of preparing for next season. I'd also add Jared Solomon to the mix, largely because I'm a sucker for a fastball that hits 100+.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 03-19-2022 at 10:22 AM.

The offseason and recent roster churn have affected every section of the Reds. But no group may have endured more turnover than the club’s bullpen. While there will be holdovers, there will be several new faces no matter how the camp competition pans out.

Here is how the 2022 bullpen could look for Opening Day:

Perhaps the best bullpen arm Cincinnati has -- right-hander Lucas Sims -- won’t be ready for Opening Day. Sims is not injured but offseason setbacks -- including back spasms and an illness -- prevented him ramping up his throwing program. He also dealt with a right elbow sprain that cost him 39 games last season.

The returning members
    RHP Luis Cessa: Acquired at the Trade Deadline last season, Cessa posted a 2.51 ERA in 53 appearances combined for the Reds and Yankees.

RHP Art Warren: Emerged to be a strong option with a 1.29 ERA in 26 games in 2021.

LHP Justin Wilson: Acquired with Cessa from the Yankees, Wilson had a 2.81 ERA in 21 games for the Reds and a 5.29 ERA in 42 games overall.

Jeff Hoffman was a starter turned reliever last season and will be viewed as a possible bullpen piece this season. Tony Santillan, who started on Sunday vs. the Giants, is a candidate for either the rotation or bullpen. So is lefty Reiver Sanmartin.

These pitchers could back up during games in something akin to tandem starts.

“With Santillan and Hoffman and Sanmartin, we’ll be able to do that more than any year in the past,” Bell said.

Potential new members
    The group includes Buck Farmer, Zack Godley, Trey Wingenter, Connor Overton, Phillip Diehl Ben Lively, Kyle Zimmer.

Dauri Moreta made four strong big league appearances in September. Joel Kuhnel is back as a non-roster pitcher after he missed last year with a shoulder injury.
    read more:
    https://www.mlb.com/news/reds-bullpe...out-lucas-sims

Turn Off Ads?