Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds bullpen, currently

Re: Reds bullpen, currently

Duarte and Diaz looked nasty last night.

2. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-09-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Mark Sheldon @m_sheldon

Big bullpen debuts
    The comeback attempt would not have been possible without some great relief work to hold Atlanta in check. In particular, Daniel Duarte and Alexis Diaz were stellar in their Major League debuts. Buck Farmer also delivered during his Reds debut. The trio combined for six strikeouts, as they each threw one inning.

Duarte opened the bottom of the sixth inning with a called strikeout of Ozzie Albies on a 96.6 mph fastball.

"I was feeling a little bit nervous, to be honest," Duarte said. "But after my first pitch, it just released everything. After that, I just felt more confident and got good results."

Diaz, the younger brother of Mets closer Edwin Díaz, opened the seventh inning by striking out Duvall with a slider. Eddie Rosario grounded out and Travis d'Arnaud struck out on a cutter.

"It’s a wonderful experience," Diaz said via Merlos' translation. "It’s an unbelievable experience to play here at the Major League level. I actually felt pretty relaxed. It felt like any other game in the Major Leagues."

Farmer, the former Tigers reliever, earned his roster spot in camp with five scoreless innings and continued to be tough in the eighth inning against Atlanta.

5. Likes:

marcshoe (04-09-2022),Old school 1983 (04-09-2022),RED VAN HOT (04-09-2022),Tuff Nut (04-09-2022),UKFlounder (04-09-2022),wlf WV (04-09-2022)

Alexis Diaz, last night, averaged 96 on his fastball and mid 80s on his slider.

Interestingly, his fastball had enough movement that BIS had a rather difficult time categorizing it.

That would seem really good for a relief arm.

Not to be outdone, Daniel Duarte had similar numbers (including BIS's difficulty in categorizing his moving fastball). He did have one "changeup" registered at 90 mph.

Good to see.

7. Likes:

marcshoe (04-09-2022),NebraskaRed (04-09-2022),Old school 1983 (04-09-2022),Ron Madden (04-09-2022),UKFlounder (04-09-2022),wlf WV (04-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    I expected Santillian to be excellent out of the pen based on what he did last year and in ST. He looks completely comfortable closing out games.
    santillan gives me some hope about this bullpen. and i love the idea of a 24 year-old (almost 25) closer to go along with our already impressive arsenal of young arms. reds are stockpiling some serious young pitching talent. i also had high hopes for santillan entering the season, but i guess i didn't expect him to be the closer. and who knows, maybe bell will use multiple guy in that role, i just think it's a fun/interesting development. reminds me a little bit of india winning the starting second baseman job coming out of spring last year.

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-09-2022),Tuff Nut (04-09-2022),wlf WV (04-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Alexis Diaz, last night, averaged 96 on his fastball and mid 80s on his slider.

Interestingly, his fastball had enough movement that BIS had a rather difficult time categorizing it.

That would seem really good for a relief arm.

Not to be outdone, Daniel Duarte had similar numbers (including BIS's difficulty in categorizing his moving fastball). He did have one "changeup" registered at 90 mph.

Good to see.
    I saw his brother Edwin is on the bereavement list because his grandfather died. Anything from Alexis?
    Last edited by marcshoe; 04-09-2022 at 12:35 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Seeing a guy like Diaz for the first time with some electric stuff has me decently optimistic about the pen. It's obviously a much better bunch than what we started 2021 with.
    I feel that way about the team as a whole.
    May the Lord bless

12. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-09-2022)

John Sadak @johnsadak

Awesome nugget from RedsPR @EliasSports:

RHP Daniel Duarte (6th inn.) & RHP Alexis Diaz (7th) each made his MLB debut w/a scoreless inn. & 2K.

First time since 1900 that 2 Reds pitchers made their debuts in the same game w/scoreless outings.

Bullpen was strong last night

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-09-2022),Tuff Nut (04-09-2022)

Once the rotation sorts itself out…likely by months end. This team will be very dangerous.

16. Likes:

boxseat (04-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Once the rotation sorts itself out…likely by months end. This team will be very dangerous.
    It's the biggest key to the season IMO. Castillo has to get back healthy fairly soon, and we need Minor to be a solid innings eater while the young SP are figuring things out. I don't have much confidence at all in Guttierez or San Martin so I think we need at least one or two of the rookies to have solid years.

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-09-2022)

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

David Bell said Lucas Sims could start a Triple-A rehab assignment this week. Bell listed April 20-22 as a potential return window.

20. Likes:

marcshoe (04-09-2022),Ron Madden (04-09-2022)

Maybe Hoffman gets his walking papers when Sims comes back. It looks like there’s enough young guns to cover any innings he’d get and do so competently.

Glad nobody is drawing conclusions from two games. Bullpen or otherwise.

23. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (04-09-2022),mth123 (04-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Maybe Hoffman gets his walking papers when Sims comes back. It looks like there’s enough young guns to cover any innings he’d get and do so competently.
    With so many guys that have options
    I don't think they'll cut anybody unless someone absolutely crashes and burns

I'm sure this will help out quite a bit.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...a5d5d9d59cb418

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    With so many guys that have options
    I don't think they'll cut anybody unless someone absolutely crashes and burns
    Likely. But to me, Hoffman really serves no purpose at that point. He really does nothing well but take a beating in blow outs.

27. Likes:

Sea Ray (04-09-2022)

Turn Off Ads?