Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Senzel's Simple Goal: Stay On The Field

Re: Senzel's Simple Goal: Stay On The Field

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Sorry you’re going through that. I hope it gets better soon.

While I was a big proponent of him moving to CF at the time, in hindsight I believe it was a mistake. 3B seems like the safest position for him. Moose can get some starts at every infield position outside of SS. Make him the super sub. And, he can still bat every day as a DH.
    Same here, and I think conventional wisdom is that infielders with speed and a good arm can play outfield. It's probably OK for RF or LF, but Center is an elite position and I think it probably requires a lot subtle skills to keep from putting oneself in a position to get injured. For instance, how many fly balls did a guy like Griffey never need to dive for because he was on the move at the crack of the bat? And the spatial awareness is probably a steep learning curve; knowing how to approach a wall so you don't crash into it so hard. I really like an infield of Senzel, Barrero (Farmer for now) and India. They do have a couple guys like McLain whom they can start experimenting with in the outfield, plus De La Cruz, Allan Cerda, Ronnie Dawson, Rece Hinds, Austin Cedric, Michael Siani. It doesn't seem as barren as when they were grasping for straws with Billy Hamilton (who may have spoiled us all on the notion of moving from SS to CF).
    Last edited by SunDeck; 03-23-2022 at 11:23 AM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Likes:

Redhook (03-23-2022),wally post (04-05-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    The Rockies visitor shower area has a high level of fungi. Players need to wear their shower shoes.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

5. Likes:

Chip R (03-24-2022),Kingspoint (03-24-2022)

IF
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    IF
    Hopefully. I’m still holding onto a little bit of hope that he can turn the corner and be a solid player. 140 games and an OPS around .800. If it doesn’t happen this year, then my hope will probably vanish.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

8. Likes:

GAC (03-24-2022)

Hopefully. I’m still holding onto a little bit of hope that he can turn the corner and be a solid player. 140 games and an OPS around .800. If it doesn’t happen this year, then my hope will probably vanish.
    Not sure why anyone thinks he can ops around .800. He does not have great plate discipline, contact or power. Honestly Friedl walks more and strikes out less with likely similar power. I think they would make a good platoon.

I think Senzel at 3B is a plus defender he is not a plus defender in CF.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Besides DH, I wonder which position would give him a less chance of getting hurt.
    Statistician, radio announcer, dude who plays the organ, HR fireworks guy... lots of options!

11. Likes:

bm1475 (04-05-2022)

So do I my friend. So do I.

But it may take a Catholic priest and holy water.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Same here, and I think conventional wisdom is that infielders with speed and a good arm can play outfield. It's probably OK for RF or LF, but Center is an elite position and I think it probably requires a lot subtle skills to keep from putting oneself in a position to get injured. For instance, how many fly balls did a guy like Griffey never need to dive for because he was on the move at the crack of the bat? And the spatial awareness is probably a steep learning curve; knowing how to approach a wall so you don't crash into it so hard. I really like an infield of Senzel, Barrero (Farmer for now) and India. They do have a couple guys like McLain whom they can start experimenting with in the outfield, plus De La Cruz, Allan Cerda, Ronnie Dawson, Rece Hinds, Austin Cedric, Michael Siani. It doesn't seem as barren as when they were grasping for straws with Billy Hamilton (who may have spoiled us all on the notion of moving from SS to CF).
    CF has the smallest learning curve. RF will have a lot of balls tail, and LF will see a lot of knuckle balls and hard line drives. Most outfielders will say CF is the 'easiest' to play. I do agree with you though. There is an advantage for a Outfielder that has been out there for many years. Reading the ball off the bat is a massive advantage.
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

14. Likes:

Chip R (03-24-2022),mth123 (03-24-2022)

If Senzel stays on the field and healthy I expect an impact around the level of India last year.

16. Likes:

Rdirtypirates (04-05-2022),Ron Madden (03-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I recently had/have vertigo.

I had no idea just how debilitating it is. I'm struggling now with walking a semi-straight line. Dr's think it might be an inner ear infection. maybe. It's a symptom of a variety of things not an illness in and of itself.

So i get it. He couldn't play.

With Senzel it was never talent. It was availability. The problem is, he wasn't available during his development years either. So now he's developing on the fly. Maybe that will work. Maybe. I thought/wanted the Reds to just go ahead and trade Moose and park Senzel at 3B. But what the hell do I know?
    Every year he's played professionally he's had some sort of injury. Most of them were just freak injuries and not necessarily his intensity level. In 2018 he had a broken index finger. 2019 he had ankle and labrum injuries. In the Covid season, he missed a month. In 2021 he had shoulder and knee injuries. He's very unfortunate as far as injuries go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

18. Likes:

ochoa30 (04-05-2022),TRF (03-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Every year he's played professionally he's had some sort of injury. Most of them were just freak injuries and not necessarily his intensity level. In 2018 he had a broken index finger. 2019 he had ankle and labrum injuries. In the Covid season, he missed a month. In 2021 he had shoulder and knee injuries. He's very cursed by the overlord of darkness as far as injuries go.
    You misspelled cursed by the overlord of darkness. But I fixed it for you.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

20. Likes:

Chip R (04-06-2022)

Charlie Goldsmith @CharlieG__

Speaking about the outfield as a whole yesterday, David Bell specifically mentioned, “A big key to it is having Nick Senzel back and healthy.”

Nick Senzel just homered, and he’s hitting .382 with an OPS of 1.094 this spring.
    Jesse Borek @JesseABorek

With an opposite-field three-run homer in the third, Nick Senzel (1.094) becomes the 3rd Reds regular to bring his OPS over 1.094 during Cactus League play:
    Jonathan India (1.072)
    Tyler Stephenson (1.047)
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 04-05-2022 at 09:21 PM.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Not gonna lie, when I logged on just now and saw this was the most recent thread I assumed it was because he was just injured again

It’s been a very nice spring but I can’t be excited until he he makes it through April
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

24. Likes:

M2 (04-05-2022),RedTeamGo! (04-05-2022),Revering4Blue (04-07-2022),Ron Madden (04-05-2022)

I’ve never wavered in believing in Senzel as a player. But it’s hard to be confident he’ll stay on the field. At this stage he should be a mature player and a major contributor. I’m hopeful this is the year. Glad they didn’t move him this off-season.

26. Likes:

Chip R (04-06-2022),Edd Roush (04-06-2022),goreds2 (04-05-2022),ochoa30 (04-05-2022),RED VAN HOT (04-05-2022),Ron Madden (04-05-2022),SirFelixCat (04-06-2022)

Turn Off Ads?