Turn Off Ads?
Page 44 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: Senzel's Simple Goal: Stay On The Field

Re: Senzel's Simple Goal: Stay On The Field

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I generally like the way you think. But we disagree on this.

Remember that play in Wrigley where Ryan Freel dove almost head first into the fence on the 3B side making the play and almost doubling up a runner on 2B? That would have ended Senzel's career and turned him into this:

Will sound harsh, while I think Senzel has given a glimmer of hope this year, he will probably be relegated to the bench in the next year if he doesn’t take off in a big way. I’d roll the dice on the iron lung.

2. Likes:

Chip R (08-15-2022),REDREAD (08-12-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Senzel's second half numbers are now .203 .250 .266 .516 and his season OPS is at .612 with a -1.0 WAR. It's time to admit this guy isn't a good MLB player and likely never will be. He's had a proper chance this year to show what he can do when healthy and it turns out he can't do very much at all. The #1 argument for playing Senzel seems to be "the Reds don't have anyone else". Friedl is quietly having a good year for the Bats with an .833 OPS, and IMO we could bring Siani up from AA right now an he could OPS .600 and at least he would give the Reds gold glove defense and a base stealing threat when he got on.

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (08-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    Senzel's second half numbers are now .203 .250 .266 .516 and his season OPS is at .612 with a -1.0 WAR. It's time to admit this guy isn't a good MLB player and likely never will be. He's had a proper chance this year to show what he can do when healthy and it turns out he can't do very much at all. The #1 argument for playing Senzel seems to be "the Reds don't have anyone else". Friedl is quietly having a good year for the Bats with an .833 OPS, and IMO we could bring Siani up from AA right now an he could OPS .600 and at least he would give the Reds gold glove defense and a base stealing threat when he got on.
    Senzel is your perfect Addition-by-Subtraction player.

I'd rather give a guy off the street a chance over him.

He clearly doesn't have the ability to learn and adjust. There's a lot that's missing between the ears.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

7. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-12-2022)

The reason Senzel's simple goal was to stay on the field was to get the final proof that he does actually suck.

By staying on the field he was supposed to finally show that he can produce when given enough playing time.

Well, he can't. It's not a small sample size for those who use statistics because they lack the knowledge to see with their eyes that he doesn't have what it takes to play in the Major Leagues.

I don't think the REDS believe he can hit either, as their addition of so many players show who can fill up all of the spots on the Major League roster that Senzel could possibly play. It seems they are just letting him play the season out in hopes that some small sample size will appear that will fool another organization into giving the REDS something for him, anything for him. As of now, he couldn't get a return of a 28-year old Rookie League player. If he could somehow stay on the field, which is part of his being an attractive trading chip, and put together a four to six week stretch to close out the season with a .750 OPS, then the REDS should be able to get a lottery ticket for him, regardless of the odds for that ticket. Right now they couldn't get a dollar scratch-off.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

9. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-12-2022),REDREAD (08-12-2022)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Should’ve put him out to pasture while they were still in the cornfield last night

11. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-12-2022),REDREAD (08-12-2022),SomeCallMeTim (08-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    The reason Senzel's simple goal was to stay on the field was to get the final proof that he does actually suck.

By staying on the field he was supposed to finally show that he can produce when given enough playing time.

Well, he can't. It's not a small sample size for those who use statistics because they lack the knowledge to see with their eyes that he doesn't have what it takes to play in the Major Leagues.

I don't think the REDS believe he can hit either, as their addition of so many players show who can fill up all of the spots on the Major League roster that Senzel could possibly play. It seems they are just letting him play the season out in hopes that some small sample size will appear that will fool another organization into giving the REDS something for him, anything for him. As of now, he couldn't get a return of a 28-year old Rookie League player. If he could somehow stay on the field, which is part of his being an attractive trading chip, and put together a four to six week stretch to close out the season with a .750 OPS, then the REDS should be able to get a lottery ticket for him, regardless of the odds for that ticket. Right now they couldn't get a dollar scratch-off.
    With this ownership, I am guessing Senzel is a starting OF until arbitration makes him expensive. Arbitration salaries are based on years of experience, so eventually even bad players get expensive.
    It's no different than Aquino at this point.. He's a cheap placeholder. He has some name recognition, so the causal fan doesn't immediately think he's a bum. Senzel is pretty much a lock to be in the starting lineup next year. Reds don't care about winning, running Senzel out there (even though he stinks) gives them some ROI on the draft signing bonus they paid him.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I expect he'll be nontendered after the season.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

14. Likes:

JCM11 (08-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    With this ownership, I am guessing Senzel is a starting OF until arbitration makes him expensive. Arbitration salaries are based on years of experience, so eventually even bad players get expensive.
    It's no different than Aquino at this point.. He's a cheap placeholder. He has some name recognition, so the causal fan doesn't immediately think he's a bum. Senzel is pretty much a lock to be in the starting lineup next year. Reds don't care about winning, running Senzel out there (even though he stinks) gives them some ROI on the draft signing bonus they paid him.
    I hope what I saw and heard during the trading period forecasts the goal over the next ten years for the REDS. If that's true. Senzel won't be wearing a REDS' uniform in 2023, unless they have an ultimate goal of moving him next March through July for something. They shouldn't be worrying about him anymore as a lottery ticket. Even if Senzel did start to hit, he would end up commanding more money than the major risk factor that he is and will always be. His career is full of possible bad outcomes. It's been nothing but one bad outcome so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Should’ve put him out to pasture while they were still in the cornfield last night
    Wish him into the cornfield, Anthony!

Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

17. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-12-2022),REDREAD (08-15-2022),RiverRat13 (08-12-2022),SomeCallMeTim (08-12-2022),westofyou (08-12-2022),Wonderful Monds (08-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I expect he'll be nontendered after the season.
    Doubt it.

I could see him being sent out of the organization, but in a trade, not shot in a rocket to the moon

19. Likes:

Chip R (08-15-2022),Roy Tucker (08-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Doubt it.

I could see him being sent out of the organization, but in a trade, not shot in a rocket to the moon
    Yeah, he’s an asset that still has some fungibility. But knowing the Reds, they’ll keep him till the bitter end.

I haven’t given up on him yet but I can see why others have.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

21. Likes:

REDREAD (08-15-2022)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Yeah, he’s an asset that still has some fungibility. But knowing the Reds, they’ll keep him till the bitter end.

I haven’t given up on him yet but I can see why others have.
    By some fungibility I imagine you mean to be below average at so many positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    By some fungibility I imagine you mean to be below average at so many positions.
    The word, "fungibility", always makes me think of fungus.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

24. Likes:

Assembly Hall (08-12-2022)

Senzel has a .124 secondary average. That is remarkable. Jose Peraza, of the weak and impatient bat, has a career .147 SA.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

That's Tommy Helms and Davey in 1971, Todd Benzinger country

27. Likes:

M2 (08-12-2022)

Turn Off Ads?