Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Reds Injury Updates

Re: 2022 Reds Injury Updates

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I don't understand why they aren't trying to return him to the Royals. It truly does not make sense to me. How are the beat writers not asking Krall a million questions about this?
    One of the obvious questions should be what was known about his shoulder injury at the time of acquisition. You would think there would have been questions about it at that time since Minor was injured last September.

By RotoWire Staff
    Sep 15, 2021 at 3:13 pm ET

The Royals placed Minor on the 10-day injured list Wednesday with left shoulder impingement syndrome, Lynn Worthy of The Kansas City Star reports.

Minor's move to the IL explains why he was scratched prior to his scheduled start Wednesday against the Athletics for a previously unknown reason. Manager Mike Matheny hasn't commented on the severity of Minor's shoulder issue, but the veteran southpaw seems likely to be shut down for the season with just two and a half weeks left to go.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/ba...houlder-issue/

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's standard operating procedure to review medicals prior to completing a trade, so I hope they did in this case, but man, it really doesn't seem like they did.

I don't understand why they aren't trying to return him to the Royals. It truly does not make sense to me. How are the beat writers not asking Krall a million questions about this?
    Between Minor and Dunn what were they thinking in getting two players who had shoulder issues that ended their seasons last year.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    Between Minor and Dunn what were they thinking in getting two players who had shoulder issues that ended their seasons last year.
    Dunn I get, he was a throw-in. The 4th piece of the return, on a league min contract.

Minor was traded to be a piece of the rotation and is not cheap. Why is he not being returned?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

6. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-29-2022),mth123 (03-28-2022),Revering4Blue (03-28-2022)

Dunn I get, he was a throw-in. The 4th piece of the return, on a league min contract.

Minor was traded to be a piece of the rotation and is not cheap. Why is he not being returned?

They'd have to prove they didn't know about the injury, and that KC was trying to hide the injury. Everyone knew about the injury before the trade. They're just dumb.

8. Likes:

Falls City Beer (03-28-2022),mth123 (03-28-2022),Revering4Blue (03-28-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    They'd have to prove they didn't know about the injury, and that KC was trying to hide the injury. Everyone knew about the injury before the trade. They're just dumb.
    These guys are geniuses. After their brilliant realigning of resources, the Reds top-paid "talent" after Joey Votto are Mike Moustakas $16M, injured Mike Minor $10M, and Shogo Akiyama $8M (2022 salaries per baseball-reference.com).
    Last edited by CesarGeronimo; 03-28-2022 at 01:09 PM.

So, I am going back and forth with Charlie Goldsmith on twitter right now about this very subject. Charlie is insisting Minor was healthy when the trade went down. Minor apparently pitched a live bullpen session for the Reds, and the shoulder injury sprung up after that. If this is true (and I have my doubts), it's just bad luck.

11. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-28-2022)

So, I am going back and forth with Charlie Goldsmith on twitter right now about this very subject. Charlie is insisting Minor was healthy when the trade went down. Minor apparently pitched a live bullpen session for the Reds, and the shoulder injury sprung up after that. If this is true (and I have my doubts), it's just bad luck.
    It doesn't change the fact that they are stupid. If you are going to dump Miley and Gray because they make too much money, why trade for a worse pitcher who makes the same amount? A healthy Minor is still going to be a problem in GABP. If they were willing to take on Minor's contract, then Gray and Miley should have been worth a lot more than they got for them.

Somebody needs to get Krall away from the personnel decisions ASAP IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

13. Likes:

Crumbley (03-28-2022),Falls City Beer (03-28-2022),HammerTime (03-29-2022),LeatherPants (03-28-2022),Red Raindog (03-28-2022),Revering4Blue (03-28-2022),Tuff Nut (03-28-2022)

How can you say it's just bad luck when you trade for a guy and take on his $10 million salary and the same shoulder that was injured at the end of last season is injured again before he even plays in spring training? If you buy a $10 million boat that sank the last time it was out on the water and it sinks again the first time you sail it, it's not just bad luck.

15. Likes:

indy_dave00 (03-28-2022),mth123 (03-28-2022),Revering4Blue (03-28-2022)

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/...-rotation.html
    Reds right-hander Luis Castillo is “expected” to begin the season on the injured list after being slowed by some shoulder soreness early in camp, writes MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon.

Meanwhile, manager David Bell told reporters yesterday that Castillo is “quite a bit ahead” of newly acquired left-hander Mike Minor, who is battling shoulder troubles of his own. Bell said the team is set to meet with some of its ailing players today to establish a more concrete rehab plan for each.

News of Castillo’s barking shoulder first surfaced earlier in camp, and it’s worth emphasizing that the team believes he’s healthy now. However, Castillo has been behind schedule in an already truncated Spring Training and has yet to pitch in a Cactus League game.

Opening Day is less than two weeks away at this point, and it seems the 29-year-old righty simply won’t have time to sufficiently build up to readiness for the early portion of the season. Placing Castillo on the injured list would set him up to miss multiple turns through the rotation, but he could still be back in the fold for the Reds by mid-to-late April.

As for Minor, it’s not yet clear just how much time he’ll be expected to miss. Bell suggested that Minor is dealing with soreness that the team does not believe to be overly concerning, but added that the veteran lefty’s shoulder is going to “take some more time.”

Acquired in a surprising swap that sent reliever Amir Garrett to the Royals and saw the Reds take on about $7MM in salary — the first time this winter that Cincinnati had added, rather than subtracted, from the payroll — Minor joined his new club in hopes of rebounding from a rough 2020-21 showing.

The 34-year-old Minor has posted an ERA north of 5.00 in each of the past two seasons, working to a combined 5.18 ERA in 215 1/3 innings between the Rangers, A’s and Royals in that time. Minor still notched solid strikeout and walk rates during that time, but home runs have become increasingly problematic for him.

Considering he’ll move from the spacious Kauffman Stadium to the homer-happy Great American Ball Park, that’s not an encouraging trend, but the Reds clearly have some confidence they’ll be able to help curtail the issue

Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-28-2022 at 02:59 PM.

17. Likes:

indy_dave00 (03-28-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by CesarGeronimo View Post
    How can you say it's just bad luck when you trade for a guy and take on his $10 million salary and the same shoulder that was injured at the end of last season is injured again before he even plays in spring training? If you buy a $10 million boat that sank the last time it was out on the water and it sinks again the first time you sail it, it's not just bad luck.
    Like I said, I have my doubts.

With that said, if he passed a physical they wouldn't be able to return him. The injury occurred after the trade. Hence, the bad luck.

To be clear, I am not saying the trade wasn't dumb.

19. Likes:

CesarGeronimo (03-28-2022),Revering4Blue (03-28-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/03/reds-
    luis-castillo-mike-minor-injured-list-rotation.html
    Thanks for this update. I see that I was wrong earlier in suggesting that the Reds have to cover Minor's $10 million salary in 2022 when this report says they will take on about $7M of that salary. I don't understand, though, how this reporter can write 4+ paragraphs about Minor's injury and his performance in 2021 without mentioning that he was on the DL at the end of the season because of a shoulder injury. Bad reporting, in my opinion.
    Last edited by CesarGeronimo; 03-28-2022 at 03:22 PM.

21. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-28-2022)

Do we know that the Reds didn't simply waive the physical they would of had that option

Quote Originally Posted by CesarGeronimo View Post
    Thanks for this update. I see that I was wrong earlier in suggesting that the Reds have to cover Minor's $10 million salary in 2022 when this report says they will take on about $7M of that salary. I don't understand, though, how this reporter can write 4+ paragraphs about Minor's injury and his performance in 2021 season without mentioning that he was on the DL at the end of the season because of a shoulder injury. Bad reporting, in my opinion.
    You are actually correct on the $10M salary, it's just that they sent out Garrett, so the net is around $7M add to the payroll (I believe it's actually $8M net because Garrett settled for $2M with the Royals).

24. Likes:

mth123 (03-28-2022)

OK, thanks. Of course. That makes sense.

Turn Off Ads?