Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Barerro having surgery today

Re: Barerro having surgery today

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Because other MLB teams would have been slobbering all over themselves for the chance to get Barrero this past winter.
    I am not convinced of this. Because he tore up AA 3-4 years ago?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Farmer was ranked 20th best SS in baseball last year according to fangraphs. 8th best defensive SS in baseball. Pretty good.
    Wait, aren't you the one that said in the pre-season that Jose was on the verge of being a bust?

OK, this explains it. I get it man, if you think he's never going to hit based on 120 major league at bats, more power to you.

- - - Updated - - -

He had a 919 OPS in AA-AAA last year in almost 400 at bats at age 23. But sure.

4. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-21-2022)

Reds should keep Farmer as the main shortstop and then trade him at the deadline.

Demoting him to utility now reduces his trade value. At 31, he fits better with a win now team with an infield opening.

Barrero will have to make do until July 31. Get him PAs, ease him in. But the main goal, first, is to get a good prospect for Farmer.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-21-2022 at 01:06 PM.

6. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (04-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 0-2 Count View Post
    Who are you playing in CF? I think the most effective thing to do might be to put Barerro in CF. At this point, Farmer is significantly more productive at the plate than Senzel.
    If there's one thing the Reds should not be doing right now it's making short-term decisions. It does not matter if Kyle Farmer might be better than Nick Senzel (and, for the record, I would try a host of humans in CF rather than continue to run Senzel out there). Jose Barrero is a SS with big tools. You play him at SS and see if he can be the foundation of your team for the rest of the decade. You do not jerk him around because Kyle Farmer is acceptably mediocre.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

8. Likes:

Chip R (04-21-2022),LeatherPants (04-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds should keep Farmer as the main shortstop and then trade him at the deadline.

Demoting him to utility now reduces his trade value. At 31, he fits better with a win now team with an infield opening.

Barrero will have to make due until July 31. Get him PAs, ease him in. But the main goal, first, is to get a good prospect for Farmer.
    This is very rational

He did it last year - .303/.380/.539 in AA/AAA. He pulverized the upper minors about as well as prospect in the game. What are you even talking about?

11. Likes:

Chip R (04-21-2022),LeatherPants (04-21-2022),Old school 1983 (04-21-2022),Ron Madden (04-21-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    Wait, aren't you the one that said in the pre-season that Jose was on the verge of being a bust?

OK, this explains it. I get it man, if you think he's never going to hit based on 120 major league at bats, more power to you.

- - - Updated - - -

He had a 919 OPS in AA-AAA last year in almost 400 at bats at age 23. But sure.
    Ah, I thanks for the correction. I had the years mixed up. In AAA 3-4 years ago he had a .779 OPS. So, he tore up AA/AAA in 2021. Otherwise never topped 800 in his career.

I said he is on the verge of being a bust because his failings at MLB level coupled with wrist surgery, which historically takes a long time to get back to 100%. I did not call him a bust. People were confused about it, but I don't want to bring that debate back up here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    He did it last year - .303/.380/.539 in AA/AAA. He pulverized the upper minors about as well as prospect in the game. What are you even talking about?
    Thanks for correction - I had the years mixed up, I thought he did that in AA in 2019.

Barrero will have to make due until July 31. Get him PAs, ease him in. But the main goal, first, is to get a good prospect for Farmer.
    That sounds like a recipe for wasting a year of development for Barrero so we can get a scratch off lotto ticket for Farmer at the deadline. Other teams already know what Farmer can do at SS, and he's not bringing back a prospect worth benching Barrero until August.

14. Likes:

Chip R (04-21-2022),Fil3232 (04-21-2022),Old school 1983 (04-21-2022),Ron Madden (04-21-2022),Wonderful Monds (04-21-2022)

Farmer was ranked 20th best SS in baseball last year according to fangraphs. 8th best defensive SS in baseball. Pretty good.
    Umm, there's only 30 teams. If you're #20, then by definition that's below average (or at least below the median).

16. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-23-2022)

Thanks for correction - I had the years mixed up, I thought he did that in AA in 2019.
    So, now that we've corrected that misinformation, does that change your stance?

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    That sounds like a recipe for wasting a year of development for Barrero so we can get a scratch off lotto ticket for Farmer at the deadline. Other teams already know what Farmer can do at SS, and he's not bringing back a prospect worth benching Barrero until August.
    No, it’s a recipe for building a team in an orderly manner and maximizing player return. Demoting Farmer to backup status will directly impact the return in a trade.

Barrero’s problem is offense, he can get at bats in a utility role for a couple of months.

This plan requires patience so I figured I’d get a lot of push back. But it’s the best way to handle this.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-21-2022 at 01:16 PM.

Count me among those who believe the Reds will do the dumbest possible thing with regards to Barrero and his development.

No, it’s a recipe for building a team in an orderly manner and maximizing player return. Demoting Farmer to backup status will directly impact the return in a trade.

Barrero’s problem is offense, he can get at bats in a utility role for a couple of months.

This requires patience so I figured I’d get a lot of push back. But it’s the best way to handle this.
    Or you let Farmer play full time at third until he's traded and let Barrero play his natural position. Farmer isn't blocking anyone at third right now.

21. Likes:

Chip R (04-21-2022),Ron Madden (04-21-2022)

Barrero will have to make do until July 31. Get him PAs, ease him in. But the main goal, first, is to get a good prospect for Farmer.
    Who's trading for a 31 year old middle infielder with a career OPS + below 100?

23. Likes:

M2 (04-21-2022),mth123 (04-21-2022),Ron Madden (04-21-2022),Wonderful Monds (04-21-2022)

This requires patience so I figured I’d get a lot of push back. But it’s the best way to handle this.
    Who's to say Farmer wouldn't have more value to a playoff team as a super sub type? There are probably teams out there that would want to see him play all over the field this year before trading for him. There's also the possibility that his ops dips into the .650 range and he has even less value than he does now. Even if Farmer plays to the best of his abilities he's not bringing back a prospect with half the upside of Barrero.

Turn Off Ads?