Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds signing Tommy Pham pending physical

Re: Reds signing Tommy Pham pending physical

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    They still subtracted a starter (well, two starters when you consider Minor’s shoulder injury) and Cast from an 83 win team. And that’s if you buy the argument that Pham can equal Winker’s output. In order to save money.
    I'm not defending this team over the one it could have been with non-moves (that one is better), but Minor from Gray seems like a relatively modest trade down. They're both shelved at the moment, Minor has actually been healthier over the last 3 seasons. It's the offensive fire-power, especially of Winker/Castellanos together in the lineup, that they'll miss the most.

I do think this team would have to be keep intact, and get bunches of health/luck, to even sniff a wildcard spot. At least they'll be less pitiful against LHP with Pham, Solano and (fingers-crossed) Senzel as regulars.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CrosleyVet View Post
    Will not come close to Cardinals or Brewers
    What do the Cards have that’s so special?

what up PHAM!

5. Likes:

CySeymour (03-24-2022),Griffey012 (03-24-2022),Mitri (03-24-2022),REDREAD (03-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    What do the Cards have that’s so special?
    Yeah, the Cardinals lineup isn't good at all. Brewers will be about average, maybe a little above.

You guys are crazy, Cardinals lineup is very solid. Especially considering how many of their guys are defensive studs too.

8. Likes:

Falls City Beer (03-24-2022),HokieRed (03-24-2022),mth123 (03-24-2022),REDREAD (03-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    The return for Winker, being tied to Suarez is the entire point.
    Suarez being tied to him has absolutely nothing to do with his value. I could make the argument the Mariners were willing to take on Suarez's contract shows how much value Winker has right now, but that is besides the point.

Winker absolutely would not have more value next offseason than this offseason. No way. A team would rather have a player for 2 years than 1 years. Mitigates the risk of trading assets for him. Also, Winker is coming off a career year.

Again, common sense.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Two things about Winker (not saying this justifies trading him)

1. Winker was a LF in name-only. Really bad defensively

2. It’s not the same money. Winker would have been much more expensive next year and his trade value would have been less next offseason.
    Eh, I feel like, at this point, the legend of Winker's defense is worse than reality. Especially compared to 2022 Pham. He's not a plus defender anymore

You still have to address LF next offseason, whether that's Pham again or not. His trade value would be less but still better than attaching Suarez

11. Likes:

REDREAD (03-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    You guys are crazy, Cardinals lineup is very solid. Especially considering how many of their guys are defensive studs too.
    On a run scoring level, they aren't very good. 20th of 30 last year in RS/G and below average in just about every major offensive number. They make it up in other places, but they aren't going to score a ton of runs.

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    On a run scoring level, they aren't very good. 20th of 30 last year in RS/G and below average in just about every major offensive number. They make it up in other places, but they aren't going to score a ton of runs.
    And their ace is starting the season on the IL....of course, the same with the Reds
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Really not a headscratcher at all:

The Reds will get similar production in LF overall from Pham/Fraley as they would likely get from Winker over the next two seasons. Maybe a tad less, but really close. Remember, Winker has lots of warts that brings down his overall production. He’s a 3-4 WAR player, not a 5-6 WAR player than many here are acting like he is.

They will be paying Pham/Fraley the same or less than they would be paying Winker.

They get a top prospect who this year is battling for a spot in the rotation. Fraley for two more seasons than they would have had Winker, and Dunn.

They saved money trading Suarez that they spent this year on Solano, Strickland and others and still have around $25M to spend next year.

To sum up, LF stays roughly the same in terms of money and production, and they get prospects for the future, role players for this year and money to spend next year. What’s weird about that?
    There is no world in which Pham/Fraley is OPSing .950. None. Zero.

Pham was at 1.4 WAR in 155 games last season. Fraley 1.6 in 78 games. So, yeah, if those guys can play 233 games in LF, they can match Winker's production

They got older and got probably 1 piece that projects as a starter for an all star entering his age 28 season with 2 years of control

15. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (03-24-2022),LeatherPants (03-24-2022),mth123 (03-24-2022),REDREAD (03-24-2022)

career .810 OPS. and that's including the last two seasons which look like complete outliers compared to the rest of his career. and now he will be playing half his games in the most hitter-friendly park in MLB.

what's good PHAM!

17. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (03-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    The Cards have some solid pieces. But outside of a once in a generation run last year. Ie massive luck. They weren’t too impressive.
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 03-24-2022 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post

Pham was at 1.4 WAR in 155 games last season. Fraley 1.6 in 78 games. So, yeah, if those guys can play 233 games in LF, they can match Winker's production

They got older and got probably 1 piece that projects as a starter for an all star entering his age 28 season with 2 years of control
    Let's take Winker out of it, and just go with what all Reds leftfielders combined to do last year: .297/.379/.551 in 162 games. Yeah, I find it hard to believe that Pham and Farley can do that.

20. Likes:

indy_dave00 (03-24-2022),REDREAD (03-24-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post

I’ll go out on a limb and say Pham will outproduce his last seasons WAR in fewer games. I think the dude will rake in GABP. I’ve loved his game since the first time I saw him in a cardinals uniform.

IMO the outfield is Naquin in right. Senzel in CF. Pham Lf. And Aquino and Fraley off the bench. I cut Shogo. He just can’t hit an MLB fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    I’ll go out on a limb and say Pham will outproduce his last seasons WAR in fewer games. I think the dude will rake in GABP. I’ve loved his game since the first time I saw him in a cardinals uniform.

IMO the outfield is Naquin in right. Senzel in CF. Pham Lf. And Aquino and Fraley off the bench. I cut Shogo. He just can’t hit an MLB fastball.
    Someone remind me, WAR (both the fangraphs and BR versions) take ballparks into consideration, right? So just playing in GAB isn't going to move his WAR one way or the other? (I could totally be wrong about that).

Turn Off Ads?