Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Taylor Hawkins

They call me "chef"

Re: RIP Taylor Hawkins

“Did you hear about Taylor Haskell? The bassist from Fool Patrol who died? Yep. He had drugs in his system.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    “Did you hear about Taylor Haskell? The bassist from Fool Patrol who died? Yep. He had drugs in his system.”
    Who's Taylor Haskell? What's Fool Patrol? Do you have a link? What does that have to do with this thread?

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Who's Taylor Haskell? What's Fool Patrol? Do you have a link? What does that have to do with this thread?
    You gotta put him on ignore, life changing.

5. Likes:

westofyou (03-29-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    You gotta put him on ignore, life changing.
    Yeah, I like to call him out every now and then. Smarter people than me put him on ignore. Point taken...

7. Likes:

Dom Heffner (03-31-2022)

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

When you're the only person who doesn't get the joke, there's a good chance you're the butt of it. It's not the first time you've gone down this Long Road to Ruin: there simply does not exist Enough Space to document all the times when a predictably tone deaf lack of empathy made you Alone + An Easy Target.

In All My Life, apparently The One thing My Poor Brain can rely on: Times Like These will never bring out the Best of You. I Should Have Known.

Shame Shame.
    Last edited by FlightRick; 03-28-2022 at 08:58 PM. Reason: remove rude gif, use my words to do the mocking instead

9. Likes:

kaldaniels (03-29-2022),Larry Schuler (03-28-2022),M2 (03-28-2022),RedTeamGo! (03-28-2022),westofyou (03-29-2022)

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    When you're the only person who doesn't get the joke, there's a good chance you're the butt of it. It's not the first time you've gone down this Long Road to Ruin: there simply does not exist Enough Space to document all the times when a predictably tone deaf lack of empathy made you Alone + An Easy Target.

In All My Life, apparently The One thing My Poor Brain can rely on: Times Like These will never bring out the Best of You. I Should Have Known.

Shame Shame.
    Related:

Shame Shame.
    When you don't get that I get what Larry's doing, the joke's on you.

This one hit me harder than any other musician dying. It was out of left field, and while being a drummer for a massive band carry some stereotypes, there wasn't a feeling like "it was only a matter of time." I know there had been an OD in the past, but I had not heard stories of addiction issues with him. I am just stunned.

The Foo's have become my favorite band over the past few years. Seeing them in concert a few years ago was amazing, just the chemistry between the band was phenomenal. They were one of the few bands who had stuck together as a band for the long haul. Yea there has been some movement, but from when Pat Smear came back they have been pretty steady over the past decade.

I remember reading that Grohl would write the songs and then sit down with Hawkins to hammer out the music behind it. Those two were the driving force behind the Foo. I don't know what happens for the band now. I can't see them hanging it up, but it also wouldn't surprise me.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-29-2022)

When you don't get that I get what Larry's doing, the joke's on you.
    So, let me make sure I've got this right:

#1) SeaRay says what a caricature of an old, out of touch, white conservative would say in this situation.
    #2) Larry points it out, making SeaRay the butt of an humorous joke.
    #3) SeaRay only PRETENDS not to realize how badly he's been burned (by feigning ignorance), but really he knew it the whole time.
    #4) SeaRay mistakenly believes this equates to him "making a joke" of his own.
    #5) None of this detracts from #1.
    #6) Yet somehow, victory over the drug-addled hippie libtards is SeaRay's!

Got it.

15. Likes:

WrongVerb (03-29-2022)

So, let me make sure I've got this right:

#1) SeaRay says what a caricature of an old, out of touch, white conservative would say in this situation.
    #2) Larry points it out, making SeaRay the butt of an humorous joke.
    #3) SeaRay only PRETENDS not to realize how badly he's been burned (by feigning ignorance), but really he knew it the whole time.
    #4) SeaRay mistakenly believes this equates to him "making a joke" of his own.
    #5) None of this detracts from #1.
    #6) Yet somehow, victory over the drug-addled hippie libtards is SeaRay's!

Got it.
    Yeah, you still don't get it. You're so lost I can't save you. I'll put it this way: You don't get me just like you claim I don't get Larry. But you're the lost soul. I'll continue posting as I see fit knowing that you won't be sharp enough to follow

And one more thing: saying that this guy contributed to his demise by ingesting drugs has nothing to do with my race or age. It's a fact. Deal with it

And one more thing: saying that this guy contributed to his demise by ingesting drugs has nothing to do with my race or age. It's a fact. Deal with it
    Mmmmmmmm..... I'ma gonna go with the jury is out on that one. Cuz it sure sounds like you're a guy who thinks dealing with addiction peaked with Nancy Reagan in the 80s, which makes you an old, white, out of touch conservative, if demographic probability means anything. If it's not that, we have to come up with a whole other reason for the predictable lack of empathy required for you to chime in on this, and I just don't have the energy.

Moving it away from you and back to Taylor:

Somebody mentioned the band had a close bond with Letterman, and I had to go back through 3 different external hard drives, but I found the "Live on Letterman" 2 hour special they did in 2011. The first 45 minutes is the entirety of "Wasting Light," which is by far my favorite post-2002 Foo album, and returned the band to "Soundtrack of my Life" status for some important events in 2012-14. Then, the last hour is easily the best curated, most kick ass greatest hits selection ever. Just amazing.

A cursory check does not show it in its entirety on youtube, and my copy is in a weird *.ts format that is gigantic in size, so I'm not sure how I'd go about reformatting to mp4 for mkv, but I can't advise strongly enough to you do the looking-for on this one. "Live on Letterman" is the official title. Thank me later.
    Last edited by FlightRick; 03-30-2022 at 12:35 AM. Reason: ts format, not flv, which makes it even weirder and more obscure

18. Likes:

westofyou (03-29-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    A ringing endorsement for sure.

William Goldsmith quit the Foos because he and Grohl were disagreeing over drum parts and Dave wound up recording most of the drum parts on Colour and The Shape. So yea, being hand picked like that is a big compliment.

I read somewhere that Dave still did some of the drum parts on Nothing Left To Lose because Taylor was having some confidence issues and trying to find his identity but that every album since then was all Taylor.

Makes sense after having read that. Grohl is my favorite drummer of all times and the drums on “Learn to Fly” just scream Dave Grohl to me, right down to the snare flams and just the overall feel of the groove. There’s a few others I’m suspicious on but LTF seems certain to me.
    I've always thought Nothing Left to Lose is about 85 percent Grohl, you really can hear it in the sound compared to later albums.
    Go Gators!

Mmmmmmmm..... I'ma gonna go with the jury is out on that one. Cuz it sure sounds like you're a guy who thinks dealing with addiction peaked with Nancy Reagan in the 80s, which makes you an old, white, out of touch conservative, if demographic probability means anything. If it's not that, we have to come up with a whole other reason for the predictable lack of empathy required for you to chime in on this, and I just don't have the energy.
    I agree we should stay open to more information on the cause of death. At this point signs point towards drugs as the cause. As for addiction and Nancy Reagan I made no comments. If addiction did bring on this early death, it wouldn't be surprising

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I had won a drum set of his he used on the In Your Honor tour- you can youtube the video, it came from Norm's Guitars in California.

Anyway, in February I decided to auction it off, so now I sort of feel like a jerk, as it will be in this auction right after his death.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I had won a drum set of his he used on the In Your Honor tour- you can youtube the video, it came from Norm's Guitars in California.

Anyway, in February I decided to auction it off, so now I sort of feel like a jerk, as it will be in this auction right after his death.
    Speaking of selling memorabilia. I have a signed Jesse Winker bat I want to unload, but have absolutely no idea how to do so. Any recommendations?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Turn Off Ads?