Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Smith Slapped Chris Rock at the Oscars Tonight

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Will Smith Slapped Chris Rock at the Oscars Tonight

I'm hesitant to believe this. I think it has to be fake, yet it looks so real...

Smith was genuinely mad.

Re: Will Smith Slapped Chris Rock at the Oscars Tonight

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

They call me "chef"

It was a needless, tasteless joke targeting someone’s appearance from a medical condition. No satire. No speaking truth to power. No punching up. I don’t know if I would expect or recommend someone get violent as a response but, as it already happened and no one got seriously hurt, I think my reaction is good for Will Smith defending his wife. I also say that being 1,000 times more of a Chris Rock fan than a Will Smith fan.

I lost interest in the Oscars years ago. Guess this was the one year to watch. lol

Edit: nah. Although I am interested about what Sean Penn will do with his Oscar(s). Guess I'll just have to wait till tomorrow to find out.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 03-28-2022 at 12:58 AM.

5. Likes:

Chip R (03-28-2022)

There are very few situations where I think violence is a reasonable response to words and this was not one of those.

7. Likes:

757690 (03-28-2022),dabvu2498 (03-28-2022),Redsfaithful (03-28-2022),Roy Tucker (03-28-2022)

It seems that Will Smith has earned another trip to live in Bel Air with his Auntie Vivian.

But seriously it’s a shame it happened because Coda winning was a wonderful surprise that should be the headline. It’s a near perfect movie, story and acting wise and might be the lowest budget movie (in modern day dollars) ever.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    But seriously it’s a shame it happened because Coda winning was a wonderful surprise that should be the headline. It’s a near perfect movie, story and acting wise and might be the lowest budget movie (in modern day dollars) ever.
    When did the Oscars become the Indie Movie Awards?

I literally had not heard of Coda until last night. I literally do not know one person that has seen it or even heard of it. It made $1.1 million at the box office on a $10 mil budget. I am not saying money should decide what the best picture is, I am just saying nobody saw this movie.

This is the reason nobody cares about the Oscars now, IMO. Dune was clearly the best movie of 2021. And people actually saw it and enjoyed watching it.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

I literally had not heard of Coda until last night. I literally do not know one person that has seen it or even heard of it. It made $1.1 million at the box office on a $10 mil budget. I am not saying money should decide what the best picture is, I am just saying nobody saw this movie.

This is the reason nobody cares about the Oscars now, IMO. Dune was clearly the best movie of 2021. And people actually saw it and enjoyed watching it.
    I loved Dune too, it’s an incredible movie. I would have been happy if it won for best picture too. But you are making my point. Coda winning, which is definitely deserved, it’s one of the most powerful, well made movies I’ve seen in years, is a wonderful surprise that hopefully will spark more indie movies getting made.

For the record, it’s a made for streaming movie that was only in the theaters for a brief time so it could qualify for an Oscar. It was a gigantic success online.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It was a gigantic success online.
    Isn't it on Apple TV Plus?

Doubt.

Isn't it on Apple TV Plus?

Doubt.
    Ted Lasso, one of the biggest streaming successes is on Apple TV Plus.

Anyway, I recommend anyone to see CODA, it’s a wonderful movie.

13. Likes:

dabvu2498 (03-28-2022),NebraskaRed (03-28-2022),Roy Tucker (03-28-2022)

If you've never seen Coda then how do you know Dune is better?

The Oscars have turned into the "Indie Movie Awards" because that is one of the only avenues left for a thought provoking, artistic-minded film targeting an adult audience to get made...

15. Likes:

757690 (04-04-2022),westofyou (03-29-2022),Wonderful Monds (03-28-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post

The Oscars have turned into the "Indie Movie Awards" because that is one of the only avenues left for a thought provoking, artistic-minded film targeting an adult audience to get made...
    Fair point. I’ll watch Coda this week and if it’s better, I’ll say so.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post

I agree with that, but I also think that ignores the grand flourishes of movie-making. I'm not talking about special effects here. The ability to recreate a time or a place, or establish an aesthetic, has been a bit overlooked in recent years. Sometimes we get crowded years like 2020 with Parasite, 1917, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Jojo Rabbit. I like intimate character studies, but I just watched The Godfather 2 the other night and it's a reminder that an intimate character study can also be a movie that's epic in scope. So I get the complaint.

Sincere question on Coda (which I plan to watch soon). How would you compare it to Sound of Metal, which also about deaf characters set on the North Shore of Massachusetts? Because I feel like I'm inevitably going to stack them up against each other due to those similarities.
    Last edited by M2; 03-28-2022 at 11:16 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

18. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (03-28-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I agree with that, but I also think that ignores the grand flourishes of movie-making. I'm not talking about special effects here. The ability to recreate a time or a place, or establish an aesthetic, has been a bit overlooked in recent years. Sometimes we get crowded years like 2020 with Parasite, 1917, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Jojo Rabbit. I like intimate character studies, but I just watched The Godfather 2 the other night and it's a reminder that an intimate character study can also be a movie that's epic in scope. So I get the complaint.

Sincere question on Coda (which I plan to watch soon). How would you compare it to Sound of Metal, which also about deaf characters set on the North Shore of Massachusetts? Because I feel like I'm inevitably going to stack them up against each other due to those similarities.
    Other than having deaf characters, there isn’t really any similarities between them. Sound of Metal is much darker tonally and the focus on the story is on the main character losing his hearing, which isn’t what Coda is about.

20. Likes:

M2 (03-30-2022)

The "big slap" could've been staged. I prefer the swipe Amy Schumer took at Leonardo DiCaprio.

Turn Off Ads?