Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Basketball 2022-2023: Can’t Get Much Worse

Re: UK Basketball 2022-2023: Can’t Get Much Worse

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Seems as though Cal ticked off Mark Stoops a bit.
    What did he say or do?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    What did he say or do?
    Cal is lobbying for a practice facility to replace the Craft Center and said that Kentucky is a basketball school while bringing up how Kentucky has made investments in the football program (that was sorely needed).

I am Team Stoops on this one. Cal was out of line and given the last two years here would have likely gotten any other coach fired dragging the football program into this is a bad look.

Mark Stoops Responds to John Calipari: “We won’t be derailed”

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-w...ky-basketball/
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Kentucky absolutely destroyed Carleton College tonight. This was the team expected to give Kentucky the biggest fight on this trip and the final score was 118-56.

Jacob Toppin is going to be one of the top players in college basketball next season. For some context he hit 5 threes tonight and hit only 4 all of last season. Kentucky as a whole hit 15 threes with 11 coming in the second half.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-13-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Cal is lobbying for a practice facility to replace the Craft Center and said that Kentucky is a basketball school while bringing up how Kentucky has made investments in the football program (that was sorely needed).

I am Team Stoops on this one. Cal was out of line and given the last two years here would have likely gotten any other coach fired dragging the football program into this is a bad look.

Mark Stoops Responds to John Calipari: “We won’t be derailed”

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-w...ky-basketball/
    Felt like Cal patted Stoops on the head and said "good job giving the fans something to do until basketball season starts"! Didn't UK just build a brand new practice facility 10-15 years ago? Seems a little silly to "need" a new practice facility every decade?
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

7. Likes:

goreds2 (08-14-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Felt like Cal patted Stoops on the head and said "good job giving the fans something to do until basketball season starts"! Didn't UK just build a brand new practice facility 10-15 years ago? Seems a little silly to "need" a new practice facility every decade?
    The Joe Craft Center. It opened in 2007.

It does until you consider Kentucky isn’t just competing in the SEC for recruits but nationally. When you lose a young top assistant to Duke essentially doing the same thing it shows something is wrong.

The school just spent $310 million upgrading Rupp and replaced the practice courts and lockers in the Craft Center. I think it needs upgraded but when you consider the Braves can replace a stadium after 19 years stranger things have happened.

Cal shouldn't have said that but it s not the first time a UK football coach has hot his butt hurt by someone saying UK is a basketball school. Both coaches just need to concentrate on their own programs and forget about what anyone says.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

10. Likes:

goreds2 (08-14-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Cal shouldn't have said that but it s not the first time a UK football coach has hot his butt hurt by someone saying UK is a basketball school. Both coaches just need to concentrate on their own programs and forget about what anyone says.
    The difference is Stoops has built the program up to where the fans actually care about football. I could see saying that if Joker Phillips or even Rich Brooks was the coach but Kentucky football has come a long way and has been rewarded for it with Stoops getting what he wanted/needed.

I’d like to see Cal given an ultimatum. Get back to a final four before talking about a new practice facility.

The difference is Stoops has built the program up to where the fans actually care about football. I could see saying that if Joker Phillips or even Rich Brooks was the coach but Kentucky football has come a long way and has been rewarded for it with Stoops getting what he wanted/needed.

I’d like to see Cal given an ultimatum. Get back to a final four before talking about a new practice facility.
    Isn’t the current facility only 15 years old?

I think a lot of the money that traditionally would go to facilities will wind up as NIL money.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Isn’t the current facility only 15 years old?

I think a lot of the money that traditionally would go to facilities will wind up as NIL money.
    Possible, and yes it’s “only” 15 years old.

Did a quick Google search on top basketball facilities and it’s interesting to see the new ones being built or already have been built:

Texas Tech
    Boston College
    Seton Hall
    Michigan State
    Oregon
    Maryland
    USC

Personally not sure who Joe Craft is.....but I would be hesitant about donating money for a building on campus that would only be relevant for 15 years. I would assume most donors expect their name to be on the building for many years.....but that is pure speculation on my part.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

15. Likes:

RiverRat13 (08-15-2022)

UK Basketball 2022-2023: Can’t Get Much Worse

Personally not sure who Joe Craft is.....but I would be hesitant about donating money for a building on campus that would only be relevant for 15 years. I would assume most donors expect their name to be on the building for many years.....but that is pure speculation on my part.
    Another issue I didn’t mention was Kentucky had to call practice one day last week due to the roof leaking with the heavy rain in the area. Cal didn’t immediately address it when it happened and basically offered prayers for the people in the eastern part of the state who had been affected.

Pretty much after that though Cal has started calling for a new facility which might as well be throwing out the baby with the bath water. Fix what you have instead of asking for something new.

Joe Craft is a coal baron from Hazard Ky. Alliance Resource Partners.

17. Likes:

adkindo (08-17-2022)

No they don't need a new facility. Maybe it needs a good overall renovation. I know I wouldn't donate for a new one when one is use is only 15 years old. If Cal wants it that bad then he should hit up all those players he has sent to the NBA for a donation. A half million from each would probably get you a new one.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

19. Likes:

WVRed (08-15-2022)

Paul Finebaum slams John Calipari, says he is ‘no longer the best option’ for Kentucky

https://www.on3.com/college/kentucky...ball-football/

Paul Finebaum slams John Calipari, says he is ‘no longer the best option’ for Kentucky

https://www.on3.com/college/kentucky...ball-football/
    My honest take......there is a pretty strong case that Cal has underachieved at UK based on National Championships. It is really hard to explain how he comes away empty with that KAT team.....and even the Wall/Cousins team my Mountaineers knocked off! Still, it would be insane to fire Cal....and I am going to guess the chances that you get someone better than Cal somewhere below 5%. It takes more than just a really good college coach to oversee a program like UK....Pitino was one of those guys as is Cal, but there are not many. Also, it is hard to know who can walk that walk until you actually see them do it.
    ― Marcus Aurelius

My honest take......there is a pretty strong case that Cal has underachieved at UK based on National Championships. It is really hard to explain how he comes away empty with that KAT team.....and even the Wall/Cousins team my Mountaineers knocked off! Still, it would be insane to fire Cal....and I am going to guess the chances that you get someone better than Cal somewhere below 5%. It takes more than just a really good college coach to oversee a program like UK....Pitino was one of those guys as is Cal, but there are not many. Also, it is hard to know who can walk that walk until you actually see them do it.
    He lost versus Wisconsin on a remarkably questionable late non-call that could well have swung the game.

From USA Today:
    With 2:35 left, time was running down on a wild Wisconsin possession. There were two missed shots, two clean blocks and then, Nigel Hayes getting two points off his own rebound when there was no time on the shot clock. Originally the TBS truck thought it was called a shot-clock violation, as did most of Americans outside Kentucky. They kept the score at 60-58, Kentucky. But then the score changed to 60-60 because the network was told that were was no violation, despite the fact that Hayes was clearly, even in real-time, holding the ball with 0 on the shot clock. The worst part is Kentucky was 41 seconds away from having that play become reviewable as refs can only go to the monitor with under two minutes. (I dislike all replay except for tennis’s Hawkeye. But if you’re going to review calls under two minutes, why not make it five in the tournament. The games count more.) The bucket counted and the game was tied.

Kentucky would never lead again.
    Kentucky lost composure after that (non) call. (Which makes sense, considering how young they were.)

BTW, the guy who missed that call-- John Higgins-- has a history with UK basketball, most of it sordid.

Turn Off Ads?