Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds Cut Shogo

Re: Reds Cut Shogo

A little more than two years after the Cincinnati Reds introduced Japanese outfielder Shogo Akiyama with great fanfare at a press conference, Akiyama’s time with the organization is likely over.

Akiyama was informed Sunday morning he will not make the Reds’ Opening Day roster. He is owed $8 million this year and the Reds cannot send him to the minor leagues without his consent. If Akiyama does not want to play at Triple-A Louisville, he will be designated for assignment by Thursday, creating a path for him to become a free agent.

He was a Gold Glove finalist in left field in 2020 and helped the Reds end a seven-year playoff drought when he hit .318 in the final month of the 2020 regular season, but he never seemed to fully adjust to Major League pitching.

“We felt we had better options in the outfield,” Reds General Manager Nick Krall said.

Akiyama, who will turn 34 on April 16, said he wasn't surprised by the Reds' decision, saying "results are everything." He had a good idea of what his next plan was, but he didn't want to announce it Sunday morning.

"With two years, that's the results that are out there," Akiyama said through interpreter Luke Shinoda. "But realistically, I still can play. I can play hard. I know I can play. So I just have to move forward with this situation."
    Bobby Nightengale, Cincinnati Enquirer 10 mins ago

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I want to blame the Reds for a failure in scouting, but IIRC they were 1 of 10 teams that made a proposal to him.

With that said, is this one of the worst free agent signings in baseball history?
    No way. Not even close. The Dodgers have already lost more than $24 mill in Trevor Bauer

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/mlb/...21cw6dw9ye92tp

4. Likes:

Chip R (04-04-2022)

I want to blame the Reds for a failure in scouting, but IIRC they were 1 of 10 teams that made a proposal to him.

With that said, is this one of the worst free agent signings in baseball history?
    Chone Figgins says hold my beer

6. Likes:

Chip R (04-04-2022),Ron Madden (04-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    No way. Not even close. The Dodgers have already lost more than $24 mill in Trevor Bauer

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/mlb/...21cw6dw9ye92tp
    Bauer provided 2.8 bWAR last year before getting suspended. Shogo has a career negative bWAR. He provided negative value. Obviously, the Bauer contract is a disaster, but he at least provided positive value before the suspension.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

8. Likes:

REDREAD (04-04-2022)

It wouldn't be a popular move but with the roster we have I would cut Aquino and make Schrock my everyday right fielder.

Kei Igawa
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

11. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (04-03-2022),Revering4Blue (04-03-2022),Ron Madden (04-03-2022),westofyou (04-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 1thru5 View Post
    It wouldn't be a popular move but with the roster we have I would cut Aquino and make Schrock my everyday right fielder.
    Shrock is deserving of a starting position as of now, I believe he's been the best hitter in the Cactus League, wherever they can play him.

Wish Shogo the best
    May the Lord bless

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    $240 million for <13 WAR out of Pujols has to be up there.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

14. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-03-2022),malcontent (04-03-2022),Red Raindog (04-03-2022),RedTeamGo! (04-03-2022),Ron Madden (04-03-2022),SomeCallMeTim (04-03-2022),StRedlegs900 (04-03-2022),Tom Servo (04-03-2022),westofyou (04-03-2022),Wonderful Monds (04-03-2022)

woot!

- - - Updated - - -

"Cutting Shogo" is a contender for my fantasy baseball team name this year.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (04-04-2022),Rowsdower (04-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    $240 million for <13 WAR out of Pujols has to be up there.
    Let's not forget that same team signed Josh Hamilton to produce less than 3 WAR for 5 years and $125 million.

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-03-2022),Revering4Blue (04-03-2022),Ron Madden (04-03-2022),WildcatFan (04-03-2022)

"It's just unfortunate how I don't have that many memorable moments."
    I feel you Shogo.

20. Likes:

CaiGuy (04-04-2022),NebraskaRed (04-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Mike Hampton says hello.
    “The guys we've had for the most part have been serviceable at this level.”

22. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-03-2022),westofyou (04-03-2022)

Umm, yeah, nevermind...

So help me, if Shogo signs with the Cardinals and goes full Nori Aoki I am going to lose it.

I’m almost impressed they pulled the trigger on this when they did. I thought they’d carry him for at least a month or two in the event of injuries and let the roster crunch sort itself out that way.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

25. Likes:

Chip R (04-04-2022),REDREAD (04-04-2022)

If I were Reds I’d get rid of Aquino and give TJ Friedl a shot.
    Aquino bats RH and the starting RF is LH.

Quote Originally Posted by 1thru5 View Post
    Does this mean you are sitting Naquin or…?

27. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-03-2022)

Turn Off Ads?