Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Reds Offense 2022

Re: Reds Offense 2022

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherPants View Post
    The Cleveland Spiders 1899 20-134!
    Well hm. The records I googled up must have been 1900-present.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    This start is the worst Reds offensive start in the first 18 games since the 1966 Reds

So much similarity in this.

DeWitt had shocked the fanbase and traded Frank Robinson.

The Reds were rained out of their opener and opened in Philadelphia, first time on the road since 1888.

New manager Don Hefner had moved third baseman Darrel Johnson and there was sudden hole at third which was hard to fill, Rose tried and hated it and they eventually slotted Tommy Helms in there. The hitting was putrid, the fans were angry and the season started out bad with Sammy Ellis getting the first start over Maloney which also made it even stranger.

Eventually DeWitt would trade Joey Jay and the fans would hang an effigy of him at Fountain Square, tagged "DimWitt"

Hefner would get canned and the Reds would get a bit better, but all year the fans were angry and by years end DeWitt was lamenting that he was misunderstood, that he wanted to save baseball in Cincinnati and then... boom he sold the team to the amalgamation that still exists today.

FWIW in game 18 the 1966 Reds scored 10 runs to make this line look a tad better

Code:
    Team	Games	Span Start 	Span End	RS	RA	W	L	W-L%	PA	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	BB	BA	OBP	SLG	OPS
    CIN	18	4/7/2022	4/27/2022	54	101	3	15	.167	634	111	25	0	12	52	49	.195	.268	.302	.570
    CIN	18	4/15/1966	5/5/1966	58	67	5	13	.278	657	138	12	6	10	56	42	.229	.280	.319	.599
    This is cool. Very interesting.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see ownership sell at the end of this season. And we most certainly won't be seeing the run they would go on beginning in '67 with only 1 team under .500 until '82.

4. Likes:

Ron Madden (04-28-2022)

I don't understand why the second word of the thread title is singular.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

6. Likes:

dreghorntwo (06-28-2022)

Jamie Ramsey
    @Jamieblog

The Reds' line drive percentage of 25.1 ranks third-highest in the Major Leagues. They've put 261 line drives in play this season, including 9 yesterday and 117 since May 8, when they entered that day ranked 16th in MLB with a LD% of 23.3.

8. Likes:

HokieRed (05-28-2022),ochoa30 (06-28-2022)

The offense has been much better over the last 30 days 6th most runs scored in MLB

10. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    The offense has been much better over the last 30 days 6th most runs scored in MLB
    Reds had a 20 run game, with the a position player giving up several. Not sure what impact that has.

Whether better or worse than before, the Reds’ lineup is very weak in terms of power potential. Also in terms of left handed hitting.

At full strength, with India, Solano, the lineup would be better though still overly right handed. Reds need to beef up the middle of the order for future seasons.

I haven't followed this team (statistically) much this season when it comes to analyzing this offense. But I'd think getting this line back in the leadoff spot ( India) would be a step in the right direction ....

98 runs 143 hits 21 Hrs .269 .376 .459 .835 OPS +113
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

The IF is going to be awfully crowded with everyone healthy while the OF is in big trouble with Naquin out. I hate to say it but I could see Barrero back in CF for a while. I don't know how much more time Senzel and his .540 ops is going to get. At some point you have to show you can be a productive player or hit the pine.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    ...and that's all that matters.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by JCM11 View Post
    The IF is going to be awfully crowded with everyone healthy while the OF is in big trouble with Naquin out. I hate to say it but I could see Barrero back in CF for a while. I don't know how much more time Senzel and his .540 ops is going to get. At some point you have to show you can be a productive player or hit the pine.
    There is one ray of hope....it's very possible that Senzel misses most of the season to various injuries.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

So I guess we need to start a Red's Bullpen thread?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

The biggest flaw on the Cincinnati Reds depth chart and how they're fixing it
    The highlights of the Reds season have been when rookie starting pitchers like Hunter Greene and Graham Ashcraft have shown the light to come at the end of the rebuilding tunnel.

When Greene won NL Player of the Week earlier this month, it was another sign of how the Reds’ outlook could be trending in the right direction. When Ashcraft completed eight outstanding innings on Friday in a win over the Giants, it was another example of what the Reds are building around.

But when the Reds scored seven runs in the third inning of Sunday’s win over the Giants, there were virtually no long-term implications. None of the RBI came from hitters who are expected to be starters on the Reds’ next playoff team.

The Reds’ big league roster in 2022 is filled with position players with no long-term commitment from the Reds.

The Reds have too many hitters whose 2022 season is basically an audition for the other 29 teams.

The only position players on the Reds’ active roster who will likely be starters on the next Reds playoff team are Jonathan India and Tyler Stephenson. And the reinforcements still aren’t close in the farm
    system.

The Reds’ front office has already made changes to prevent another drought of position player prospects.

Over the last three years, the Reds have restructured the Reds’ front office, aligned the Reds’ scouting vision with their player development vision and sought out more athletic, versatile position players with more well-rounded approaches at the plate.

For a long time, the Reds weren’t getting many MLB contributors out of international scouting.

The Reds have made major changes in that area and turned the international market into a priority for roster building.

Since these changes started to take place around 2019, the Reds are seeing the payoff in High-A Dayton and in Double-A Chattanooga with impressive prospects like Matt McLain, Michael Siani, Elly De La Cruz, Allan Cerda, Jose Torres, Jay Allen, Rece Hinds, Austin Hendrick and Mat Nelson.

When you make massive changes to the way you structure your farm system, it takes time for those prospects to trickle up to MLB.

When the Reds look to make moves at the trade deadline, they’d benefit from acquiring Double-A and Triple-A hitters to fill these voids in their farm system.

If the Reds don’t trade players like Luis Castillo, Tyler Mahle, Pham and Drury for high-level position player prospects who could be ready to play in MLB next season, then the Reds will enter the 2023 season with next year’s versions of Drury, Reynolds, Donovan Solano, Almora Jr. and Pham in their starting lineup.
    https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/bigg...020008014.html

18. Likes:

Indymoon (07-08-2022)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    The biggest flaw on the Cincinnati Reds depth chart and how they're fixing it

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/bigg...020008014.html
    I disagree with this assessment, in that the Reds have recently shown that they prefer high ceiling guys to guys close to the majors with lower ceilings. If they get a James Woods or Andy Pages, I won't mind at all. But I expect players with similar ceilings to be the main trade haul, regardless of level.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Is this the weakest Reds offense in years?

Sure feels like it Ron. That 1982 thread has reminders of a truly godawful offense, and this one is starting to round in shouting distance...
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

22. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-07-2022),Ron Madden (07-07-2022)

Turn Off Ads?