Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Nick Lodolo

Re: Nick Lodolo

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    When that “who would you rather extend” poll was up, I commented out that Lodolo wouldn’t be my answer in part because he seems to have an ongoing injury problem of his own to a point. Doesn’t seem to be getting better yet in that regard.
    I agree with this. I'm a big Lodolo fan, but he hasn't made it through one pro season without missing a significant chunk of time with different ailments.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

2. Likes:

fondfoat (05-18-2023),mth123 (05-15-2023),Wonderful Monds (05-15-2023)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Nick Lodolo out for at least a month with stress reaction in leg

The Cincinnati Reds will be without starting pitcher Nick Lodolo for at least a month and it’s possible his leg injury could sideline him for much longer.

Lodolo returned to Cincinnati last weekend after he was placed on the 15-day injured list with left calf tendinosis, scratched from a start Saturday.

A followup MRI exam Monday revealed a stress reaction in his left tibia. He’s in a walking boot and will be reevaluated with another MRI exam in two weeks.

Lodolo, the 25-year-old lefty, is shut down from baseball activities, so it will take multiple weeks once he’s deemed healthy to build up his arm to return to the Reds’ rotation.

“He’s still at the beginning stages of being in a boot and letting it heal,” Reds Manager David Bell said.

“He’s pretty limited right now. Limited him on purpose, so he can heal before he takes any next steps. I think the next big milestone will be another MRI in two weeks.

At that point, if he’s made progress, we’ll know a lot more about what the overall timeline is going to be.”

Lodolo had a 2-1 record and a 6.29 ERA through seven starts, leading the league in homers allowed (10) and hit batsmen (seven). After three strong outings to begin the year, Lodolo gave up 32 hits and 20 runs in his last 17 1/3 innings (10.38 ERA).

It’s the third straight season Lodolo has dealt with an injury. He was sidelined for a couple of months last year with a back strain. In 2021, he was limited to 50 minor league innings because of blisters and a left shoulder strain

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...y/70228868007/
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 05-17-2023 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Nick Lodolo out for at least a month with stress reaction in leg

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...y/70228868007/
    Given his history, I think the reds were riding Lodolo too hard. I don't think that's why he's hurt, but the injury gives his arm a break. It may be a blessing in disguise.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

6. Likes:

fondfoat (05-18-2023),Revering4Blue (05-22-2023)

We could have doubled the offer Michael Wacha received from San Diego and been way ahead here.

Wacha would be the #1 pitcher for this staff, the Veteran needed to be the rock for Ashcraft, Lodolo and Greene, and for $26M, he would have run to sign with us for two seasons instead of four seasons with San Diego. We could easily afford $13M per season for Wacha. We wouldn't have had to pay that much. He would have taken probably $18M, about a 30% increase over what he got from San Diego.

Wacha's OPS-Against is better than Lodolo's and Ashcraft's, while everyone in the Majors OPS-Against is better than Greene's. Actually, Luke Weaver's is one of the few whose is worse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Given his history, I think the reds were riding Lodolo too hard. I don't think that's why he's hurt, but the injury gives his arm a break. It may be a blessing in disguise.
    Yes. They are "accidentally" limiting his pitching for the season to a reasonable amount.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-18-2023 at 01:52 AM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

8. Likes:

malcontent (05-18-2023),Revering4Blue (05-22-2023)

I kept questioning why Lodolo's velocity was down to 92 in his last few starts. The Reds are lucky he didn't hurt his arm trying to pitch through a leg injury.

10. Likes:

GAC (05-19-2023),Kinsm (05-18-2023),malcontent (05-18-2023),mth123 (05-18-2023)

If the rotation wasn't hurtin', before it is now. Whose gonna step up?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I’m not worried about Lodolo long term. His left arm is healthy, heck of a young pitcher. But the days of the 1965 Dodgers (over 900 innings from three starters) are over. Reds need way more pitching depth in the future, quality and quantity.

A main reason I picked a 95 loss season for Reds is lack of pitching depth. I thought too much credit was being given to the impact of the three young starters. Both in terms of their experience level and their projected innings coverage. Today, you need a lot of good guys - starters, relievers, and guys who fall in between.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-19-2023 at 09:12 AM.

13. Likes:

LeatherPants (05-19-2023),mth123 (05-19-2023),Revering4Blue (05-22-2023),Tom Servo (05-19-2023)

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__

Nick Lodolo (calf tendonosis, stress reaction in his tibia) entered GABP on a scooter yesterday.

He has an MRI next week that will determine his next steps.

“I thought it was nothing, just soreness. We thought it was getting better, but it wasn’t."

It’s almost like penciling in 3 second year pitchers to carry 60% of the starting rotation workload while not bringing in any veteran help to eat up innings was a bad idea.

If only someone could have predicted this! Sadly, it was unpredictable and thus we have no reason to be upset with this team’s honest and forthright management / ownership group.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

16. Likes:

Banshee (05-22-2023),membengal (05-22-2023),mth123 (05-22-2023),Revering4Blue (05-22-2023),WrongVerb (05-22-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    It’s almost like penciling in 3 second year pitchers to carry 60% of the starting rotation workload while not bringing in any veteran help to eat up innings was a bad idea.

If only someone could have predicted this! Sadly, it was unpredictable and thus we have no reason to be upset with this team’s honest and forthright management / ownership group.
    I am 100% certain that Lodolo’s foot injury had nothing to do with any other player on the Reds or lack of any other player on the Reds, or his workload.

I do think it’s fair to wonder why the Reds didn’t notice it earlier, however.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-22-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I am 100% certain that Lodolo’s foot injury had nothing to do with any other player on the Reds or lack of any other player on the Reds, or his workload.

Pitchers get injured. It happens. Doesn’t always have to be with their arm.

They’re already counting on these 3 guys for way too much of the workload, now one is hurt, so even more innings need covered. And that’s the point, they made absolutely no effort to bring in a veteran(s) to help carry the workload and keep from having to over-use the bullpen which can, in turn, cause the actually competent starters to be overworked because of a tired bullpen. It’s a nasty process.

The Reds entered the year with two relief pitchers at the 4 & 5 spots. It was malpractice in every sense of the word.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

20. Likes:

Banshee (05-22-2023),membengal (05-22-2023),Revering4Blue (05-22-2023),Ron Madden (05-22-2023)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post

He was 1 of 3 purportedly reliable starting pitchers on this roster, and now that he’s injured someone has to cover those innings. And since the starters who replace him can’t pitch that deep into games, that’s going to cascade onto the bullpen.

22. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-22-2023),The Operator (05-22-2023)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Last edited by Wonderful Monds; 05-22-2023 at 11:57 AM. Reason: double post

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Pitchers get injured. It happens. Doesn’t always have to be with their arm.

They’re already counting on these 3 guys for way too much of the workload, now one is hurt, so even more innings need covered. And that’s the point, they made absolutely no effort to bring in a veteran(s) to help carry the workload and keep from having to over-use the bullpen which can, in turn, cause the actually competent starters to be overworked because of a tired bullpen. It’s a nasty process.

The Reds entered the year with two relief pitchers at the 4 & 5 spots. It was malpractice in every sense of the word.
    I am 100% confident that Lodolo’s injury will not effect the workload of Greene and Ashcraft. The Reds have been precise in the workload of the pitchers that they value for the future. The Reds have been excellent at protecting the arms of their young, talented pitchers.

What Lodolo’s injury means is that pitchers with a poor histories will pitch more. That will effect how well the Reds play for sure, but that will have zero effect on how the young, talented pitchers will be used or developed.

I agree that the Reds should have signed more veteran pitchers, but because that would have helped them win more games. It would have had zero effect on how the talented, young pitchers would be used or developed.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

25. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-22-2023)

I'm starting to worry about this guy's durability. He missed all of May & June and barely topped 100 IP last year. Now he's hurt again.

Turn Off Ads?