Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick Lodolo

Nick Lodolo

Charlie Goldsmith @CharlieG__

David Bell says Nick Lodolo will travel with the Reds to Atlanta.

The Reds will begin the year with four starters, but it’s looking like Lodolo will start the Wednesday game versus Cleveland.

With Nick Lodolo likely starting on April 13, here is the projected sequence of roster moves on tap for the Reds this week.

April 7: Add Aramis Garcia, Brandon Drury and Buck Farmer to the 40-man. DFA Shogo Akiyama, Justin Dunn to 60-day IL, make one more 40-man roster move.

April 13: Nick Lodolo added to 40-man. Option a reliever to Triple-A, make a 40-man move

Last edited by Ron Madden; 04-04-2022 at 02:23 PM.

2. Likes:

cumberlandreds (04-04-2022),Kingspoint (04-04-2022),M2 (04-04-2022),malcontent (04-04-2022),Tom Servo (04-04-2022)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Nick Lodolo

That’s great news. He has earned it. I hope to be at that game too, might be the only time I am able to catch the Reds this season.

5. Likes:

M2 (04-04-2022),Ron Madden (04-04-2022)

Nick Lodolo's MLB debut for Cincinnati Reds expected to be April 13 at GABP

Nick Lodolo, a first-round pick of the Cincinnati Reds in the 2019 MLB Draft, is expected to make his big-league debut for the team on April 13 in Cincinnati against the Cleveland Guardians.

The Enquirer's Bobby Nightengale and Charlie Goldsmith reported Monday via Twitter that Lodolo will travel with the Reds to Atlanta.

Lodolo's expected debut would come in the Reds' second home game of the season. It's scheduled for a 12:35 p.m. Eastern first pitch at Great American Ball Park

Dave Clark, Cincinnati Enquirer

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (04-04-2022)

The force of the Reds’ youthful pitching wave will be on full display in the first few weeks of the 2022 regular season. Nick Lodolo, the club’s No. 2 prospect and No. 42 overall per MLB Pipeline, will travel with the team to begin the year before joining the active roster ahead of his Major League debut.

Hunter Greene, the club’s top prospect and No. 22 overall, is slated to make his own big league debut Sunday vs. the Braves. Due to an off-day next Monday, the Reds won’t need a fifth starter until April 13 vs. the Guardians which is where Lodolo enters the picture.

Lodolo traditionally utilizes a three-pitch mix of a sinking fastball, a breaking ball and a changeup, all three of which draw above-average scouting grades. Despite his frame, his control draws rave reviews, as evidenced by his issuing just 11 free passes in 69 Minor League innings.

The arrival of Lodolo -- when it comes -- will mark a significant moment for a team that has long awaited premier pitching talent to arrive through its own pipeline

Jesse Borek, reds.com

9. Likes:

dubc47834 (04-06-2022),Old school 1983 (04-04-2022)

I have to say, hats off to the Reds.

They could have played it like the Pirates did with Cruz and kept both Greene and Lodolo back. Credit to them for not messing with our young guys payday and for putting the best guys forward. If 2023 is the true hope of real contention, these guys need to take their lumps and start to learn the MLB game. Excited to see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

11. Likes:

dubc47834 (04-06-2022),Old school 1983 (04-04-2022),Ron Madden (04-04-2022),Rowsdower (04-04-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post

They could have played it like the Pirates did with Cruz and kept both Greene and Lodolo back. Credit to them for not messing with our young guys payday and for putting the best guys forward. If 2023 is the true hope of real contention, these guys need to take their lumps and start to learn the MLB game. Excited to see it.
    Gotta have something exciting for the fans to come out to see. No one cares to watch Kyle Farmer, Mike Minor, Tommy Pham, Fraley, etc.

Based off ST results Lodolo should be starting game 2 or 3.

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post

It will look foolish in six years if the Reds don't do any winning this season and these guys scuffle. If they hadn't let Mahle make those four starts when he was 22 years old they'd have another year of control of him, and you can't convince me those four starts had a significant impact on his development...

15. Likes:

M2 (04-04-2022)

I just hope they have an innings management plan. I don't want to be on either side of them being shut down during a pennant race or lose them sometime in 2023 because they were overworked

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I just hope they have an innings management plan. I don't want to be on either side of them being shut down during a pennant race or lose them sometime in 2023 because they were overworked
    My guess is that plan is called the bullpen 2nd half of the year. If they are in contention they may look to fill out the pen with the young guys, and acquire SP depth instead of trading for bullpen pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Krivsky View Post
    My guess is that plan is called the bullpen 2nd half of the year. If they are in contention they may look to fill out the pen with the young guys, and acquire SP depth instead of trading for bullpen pieces.
    I don't love that plan. I'd prefer some combination of skipping starts and some "openers". I'd rather keep them in a starter's routine

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    It will look foolish in six years if the Reds don't do any winning this season and these guys scuffle. If they hadn't let Mahle make those four starts when he was 22 years old they'd have another year of control of him, and you can't convince me those four starts had a significant impact on his development...
    Much as I hate it, service time manipulation buys a team an extra year in a guy's prime.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

20. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-04-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by bing View Post
    Gotta have something exciting for the fans to come out to see. No one cares to watch Kyle Farmer, Mike Minor, Tommy Pham, Fraley, etc.
    If those guys can produce, why wouldn't we care to watch them?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Much as I hate it, service time manipulation buys a team an extra year in a guy's prime.
    The odds that any player makes it to his six year of MLB starting is rather low, insanely low for pitchers. It's nearly impossible to predict who will need it.

Mahle for instance, was a second tier prospect when he came up, with big questions of whether or not he would even be a MLB starting pitcher. No one at the time was worrying about his sixth year in the majors, they were only worrying about if he would stick in the major at all. If we expected the Reds to manipulate his service time back then, then they should have manipulated every player's service time. The Reds manipulated Senzel's time, and it looks to be a moot point now.

The odds that it pays off are so small and the odds that it pisses a player off are so high, it really doesn't make much sense.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

23. Likes:

dubc47834 (04-06-2022),FlightRick (04-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    The odds that any player makes it to his six year of MLB starting is rather low, insanely low for pitchers. It's nearly impossible to predict who will need it.

Mahle for instance, was a second tier prospect when he came up, with big questions of whether or not he would even be a MLB starting pitcher. No one at the time was worrying about his sixth year in the majors, they were only worrying about if he would stick in the major at all. If we expected the Reds to manipulate his service time back then, then they should have manipulated every player's service time. The Reds manipulated Senzel's time, and it looks to be a moot point now.

The odds that it pays off are so small and the odds that it pisses a player off are so high, it really doesn't make much sense.
    You'll have to try to sell that line on a site not populated by people who weren't talking about the price of burning Mahle's extra service year when they were doing it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?