Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: 2022 Golf Thread

Re: 2022 Golf Thread

Liv tour cannot buy years and years of heritage and I think that if I was running the PGA I would not be concerned, maybe even excited for some controversy to help promote some events.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BenchRider View Post
    Liv tour cannot buy years and years of heritage and I think that if I was running the PGA I would not be concerned, maybe even excited for some controversy to help promote some events.
    I was bored on Friday and turned the LIV on. And I just don't see it lasting that long. Now it may lead to some change in the PGA tour, but other than that, I just don't see it.

The shotgun start does nothing for me. There is no drama in the event. Having everyone on the course at the same time is cool, but you don't have the leaders playing the same holes.

The fantasy football like team names are stupid. Actually I think the team portion is stupid.

First I thought about the LIV was today. At this point it just isn't compelling. Unless it becomes compelling it won't work. Imagine watching a tournament where the two leaders are throwing darts on 14-18 in back and forth action. Now imagine the two leaders, one on holes 17-2 and the other on holes 6-10 throwing darts on the complete other side of the course. Which one are you choosing?

4. Likes:

MWM (07-05-2022),Redhook (07-05-2022)

Tiger's stay at The Open may be a short one. He is 6 over after 8 holes. Cameron Young leads at 8 under. Rory is at -6. Phil Mickelson finished round one at even par.
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-14-2022 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Tiger's stay at The Open may be a short one. He is 6 over after 8 holes. Cameron Young leads at 8 under. Rory is at -6. Phil Mickelson finished round one at even par.
    I find the idea that Tiger is going to compete anymore laughable. Unfortunately he just doesn't have the overall game right now, especially with all his injuries.

FWIW I think the only major he may be able to make a run at is the Masters. Primarily because he has played that course so many times.

I love watching The Open Championship. I find it fascinating to watch that style of golf. I hope the players don't lay waste to St Andrews. If the winds don't kick up something fierce, the course just doesn't have the teeth anymore.

7. Likes:

Chip R (07-15-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I find the idea that Tiger is going to compete anymore laughable. Unfortunately he just doesn't have the overall game right now, especially with all his injuries.

FWIW I think the only major he may be able to make a run at is the Masters. Primarily because he has played that course so many times.

I love watching The Open Championship. I find it fascinating to watch that style of golf. I hope the players don't lay waste to St Andrews. If the winds don't kick up something fierce, the course just doesn't have the teeth anymore.
    Yeah. I think the Masters is his only shot at a major anymore. Even without the accident, and the knee and the back he was getting to the age where the odds on winning a major get longer and longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

13 1-putts on a Sunday at the British Open to win The Championship.

Amazing, and I wonder if it's ever happened before.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Yeah. I think the Masters is his only shot at a major anymore. Even without the accident, and the knee and the back he was getting to the age where the odds on winning a major get longer and longer.
    He'll never again have the stamina to get through 4 rounds of a Major enough to win one. That will probably be the case for anyone who goes to the LIV, too.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

10. Likes:

Chip R (07-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    He'll never again have the stamina to get through 4 rounds of a Major enough to win one. That will probably be the case for anyone who goes to the LIV, too.
    That might be a moot point, though if the Majors shut out the LIV players.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    13 1-putts on a Sunday at the British Open to win The Championship.

Amazing, and I wonder if it's ever happened before.

- - - Updated - - -

I would seriously doubt Tiger would go to the LIV tournament. Tiger is going to do what he wants to do. He will gear up each and every year to play 4 tournaments, he isn't going to like be told when and where to play. IMO Tiger is of little value to the LIV if he says he is going to play in 2 events. And at this point, he offers little competitive interest.

Granted The Open was a major, at St Andrews to boot, but it had something the LIV doesn't, drama. I was following it yesterday and I made a comment, Cam Smith is up one and just made it though the road hole. Rory is back and still has to navigate the hardest par 4 in golf. You had all the golfers in the mix at 18, a driveable par 4 with a shot. Or you have the masters where the tournament doesn't start til Amen Corner on Sunday. In the LIV Amen Corner could be your first three holes? You may tee off on The Road Hole.

IMO LIV is made for TV golf without the big time TV contracts.

13. Likes:

Chip R (07-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I would seriously doubt Tiger would go to the LIV tournament. Tiger is going to do what he wants to do. He will gear up each and every year to play 4 tournaments, he isn't going to like be told when and where to play. IMO Tiger is of little value to the LIV if he says he is going to play in 2 events. And at this point, he offers little competitive interest.

Granted The Open was a major, at St Andrews to boot, but it had something the LIV doesn't, drama. I was following it yesterday and I made a comment, Cam Smith is up one and just made it though the road hole. Rory is back and still has to navigate the hardest par 4 in golf. You had all the golfers in the mix at 18, a driveable par 4 with a shot. Or you have the masters where the tournament doesn't start til Amen Corner on Sunday. In the LIV Amen Corner could be your first three holes? You may tee off on The Road Hole.

IMO LIV is made for TV golf without the big time TV contracts.
    Not a fan of the LIV myself.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

A W today for Tony Finau.

Understandably maligned for not being able to win tourneys, he has made a crazy amount of money with top 10 finishes.

A few years ago when Tiger made his comeback at East Lake, I was out on the front side of the course with Mrs fan watching the early groups play through on Sunday. Finau was playing with Paul Casey and the two of them were about as carefree as could be. They approached the round exactly the way they should have: We’re not going to win, but we’re playing East Lake on Sunday and each going to take home a 6 figure check. Life is good.

Tom Weiskopf, one-time major champ and golf course architect, dead at 79

Weiskopf was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in December 2020. Laurie Weiskopf said her husband was working last week at The Club at Spanish Peaks and attended a legacy luncheon at the signature club where he was designing "The Legacy: Tom’s Ten," a collection of his 10 favorite par 3s.
    https://www.foxnews.com/sports/tom-w...architect-dead
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

17. Likes:

Chip R (11-23-2022),Roy Tucker (08-22-2022),texasdave (08-21-2022)

Went to East Lake for a while yesterday. It’s hot, humid and effectively 0 breeze. Brutal if you’re out n the sun.

Shaping up to be a fantastic finish. If Scheffler’s gonna find his putter, he better do it soon.

Tom Kim is stealing the show at the Presidents Cup. Dude is fun to watch man, and holy crap is he clutch. Kinda wild the International team even has a chance tomorrow, all things considered, but if they get some early momentum it'll be fun.

Also, Justin Thomas and Jordan Spieth have been unbelievable.

"So Fla Red"

Max Homa is fun. Homa vs. Tom Kim is the match of the day

Kathy Whitworth, legendary LPGA golfer, 'passed suddenly' at 83, family says

Whitworth is considered to be one of the greatest female golfers of all time. Her 88 wins on the LPGA Tour included six LPGA major championships. She won the Women’s PGA Championship three times, the Titleholders Championship twice and the Western Open once.

She was inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame in 1975 after she was the LPGA Tour Player of the Year seven times and the LPGA Vare Trophy – which goes to the best scoring average by an LPGA player – seven times.

Whitworth’s greatness was underscored by a notion of committing to what you love to do and "learn from your mistakes," according to the LPGA obituary for the golfer.

"I was really fortunate in that I knew what I wanted to do," Whitworth previously said. "Golf just grabbed me by the throat. I can't tell you how much I loved it. I used to think everyone knew what they wanted to do when they were 15 years old."
    https://www.foxnews.com/sports/kathy...ly-family-says
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Turn Off Ads?