Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Golf Thread

Re: 2022 Golf Thread

Is this the death of pro golf? Seems pretty weird what is going on here.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

I can't imagine it's the death. There's never been more money flowing around.

4. Likes:

Chip R (06-09-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    This makes little sense to me. They are going to sue the companies they want covering them? As I said above, ESPN (ABC), NBC, and CBS aren't going to touch this. It would be up to FOX or maybe even Bally Sports to cover, and FOX already lost their shirt on the USGA deal from a while ago.
    Just the PGA for monopolizing all the networks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Just the PGA for monopolizing all the networks.
    The PGA has contracts with CBS, NBC, and ABC (ESPN.) There is really no monopoly when you consider multiple networks have contracts. Put it this way, say a competing football league decided to play in the fall. Do you think Fox, NBC, CBS, or ABC would carry those games? They aren't going to upset their current partners for a new upstart league. It makes no business sense.

I don't know about this, today everything seemed gimmicky. You saw the scoreboard, but it was just initials so you really couldn't tell who the player was.

I wonder if it would work better using a Monday of a holiday weekend as your final round? Or paying the week after the majors when the PGA field is pretty slight. Or play against the John Deere or other lesser tournaments. Playing at the same time as a PGA event with a quality field is a recipe for disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Is this the death of pro golf? Seems pretty weird what is going on here.

I wish a competing organization would happen to the ATP and WTA. Those in charge right now need to be challenged and changed.

Maybe the same is true of the PGA and we don't know it.

Competition is never a bad thing.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

9. Likes:

Redhook (06-09-2022)

It seems like in every other industry we're happy to have more money in the hands of "labor", which the golfers are in this case. Why not here? The PGA Tour comes off like the NCAA in this from my perspective.

I didn't say any of that. But why should any of us care whether the PGA Tour incinerates? If the players get more money on the LIV Tour, then the LIV Tour is likely to be the better option IMO. Is that model sustainable? Probably not, but I also suspect the PGA Tour could find a way to get more money to the players without folding up shop. If the end result is more PGA Tour money to the players and LIV folding, that's probably an overall win.

Fair, I guess, but the LIV's sponsor is the Saudi sovereign wealth fund, and it's willing to pay more. More is better than less. I don't think you're going to find an industry where a competitor would not be allowed to win by overwhelming the labor with money.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Fair, I guess, but the LIV's sponsor is the Saudi sovereign wealth fund, and it's willing to pay more. More is better than less. I don't think you're going to find an industry where a competitor would not be allowed to win by overwhelming the labor with money.
    If it weren't the Saudis doing this, I would guess this is some sort of money laundering scheme.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Willy Z has to win one of these sooner or later. I think he gets his major tomorrow.

Also, the USGA has taken a lot of heat for their US Open setups over the years. This year's setup is perfect. It's incredibly difficult but not unfair.

16. Likes:

Redhook (06-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Willy Z has to win one of these sooner or later. I think he gets his major tomorrow.
    I’d love to see him win. I just hope he doesn’t have to make too many of those testers. It’s a great leaderboard on a phenomenal course. It’s been a perfect championship so far.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

18. Likes:

Stray (06-19-2022)

Zalatoris played well today. Hit tons of great putts. Few wayward drives was the difference. Feel bad for him but it's gotta happen sooner or later. He's too good to keep coming up short.

Fitzpatrick played an amazing ball striking round. I think he missed one green? On this course that's absurd. Made some huge putts and his par on the 72nd was clutch. Easy guy to root for. But seeing pros hit 7 footers with the pin in is really awkward lol.

I guess I'm just an old man yelling at a cloud but I thought the players were putting too many balls in the fairway and getting shots too close to the pin for my taste at a US Open. Few too many players under par for my taste.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?