Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: 2022 Golf Thread

Re: 2022 Golf Thread

I didn't say any of that. But why should any of us care whether the PGA Tour incinerates? If the players get more money on the LIV Tour, then the LIV Tour is likely to be the better option IMO. Is that model sustainable? Probably not, but I also suspect the PGA Tour could find a way to get more money to the players without folding up shop. If the end result is more PGA Tour money to the players and LIV folding, that's probably an overall win.

2. Turn Off Ads?

For me, it's not really about whether we should care if the pga tour incinerates. But you make it sound like they should just choose to pay their players more. The tour is limited in what they can pay by the amount the sponsors and media partners are willing to pay for the rights. It's like any normal business. LIV is no such thing. They can literally come in with bottomless pockets and say "we have way more money than you, so we're just going to put you out of business because we know you don't have the funds to compete." It's not even about the sport for me, it's that this is incredibly shady and wouldn't be allowed in most industries. It's not a fair business practice, at least to me. They are coming with no concern at all about profit. Maybe we shouldn't care because it doesn't affect us, but it leaves an incredibly bad taste in my mouth. Very few companies could compete under this kind of "competitive" threat. If the pga tour could just pay players more to save them from defecting, don't you think they would have done that already. The pga tour is a membership organization, meaning the players themselves are the owners. The commissioner and everyone who works there work for the players, in reality. The players have visibility into the finances, so if it was just a matter of paying them more, they could make that happen. They have to be economically sustainable, unlike LIV.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

4. Likes:

Kingspoint (06-10-2022)

Fair, I guess, but the LIV's sponsor is the Saudi sovereign wealth fund, and it's willing to pay more. More is better than less. I don't think you're going to find an industry where a competitor would not be allowed to win by overwhelming the labor with money.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Fair, I guess, but the LIV's sponsor is the Saudi sovereign wealth fund, and it's willing to pay more. More is better than less. I don't think you're going to find an industry where a competitor would not be allowed to win by overwhelming the labor with money.
    If it weren't the Saudis doing this, I would guess this is some sort of money laundering scheme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Willy Z has to win one of these sooner or later. I think he gets his major tomorrow.

Also, the USGA has taken a lot of heat for their US Open setups over the years. This year's setup is perfect. It's incredibly difficult but not unfair.

9. Likes:

Redhook (06-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    For me, it's not really about whether we should care if the pga tour incinerates. But you make it sound like they should just choose to pay their players more. The tour is limited in what they can pay by the amount the sponsors and media partners are willing to pay for the rights. It's like any normal business. LIV is no such thing. They can literally come in with bottomless pockets and say "we have way more money than you, so we're just going to put you out of business because we know you don't have the funds to compete." It's not even about the sport for me, it's that this is incredibly shady and wouldn't be allowed in most industries. It's not a fair business practice, at least to me. They are coming with no concern at all about profit. Maybe we shouldn't care because it doesn't affect us, but it leaves an incredibly bad taste in my mouth. Very few companies could compete under this kind of "competitive" threat. If the pga tour could just pay players more to save them from defecting, don't you think they would have done that already. The pga tour is a membership organization, meaning the players themselves are the owners. The commissioner and everyone who works there work for the players, in reality. The players have visibility into the finances, so if it was just a matter of paying them more, they could make that happen. They have to be economically sustainable, unlike LIV.
    There are so many sports with so many state subsidized teams that do it this way around the world.
    And what does it mean to be economically sustainable? It only needs to be sustainable to one powerful shareholder group. And why does that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Willy Z has to win one of these sooner or later. I think he gets his major tomorrow.
    I’d love to see him win. I just hope he doesn’t have to make too many of those testers. It’s a great leaderboard on a phenomenal course. It’s been a perfect championship so far.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

12. Likes:

Stray (06-19-2022)

Zalatoris played well today. Hit tons of great putts. Few wayward drives was the difference. Feel bad for him but it's gotta happen sooner or later. He's too good to keep coming up short.

Fitzpatrick played an amazing ball striking round. I think he missed one green? On this course that's absurd. Made some huge putts and his par on the 72nd was clutch. Easy guy to root for. But seeing pros hit 7 footers with the pin in is really awkward lol.

I guess I'm just an old man yelling at a cloud but I thought the players were putting too many balls in the fairway and getting shots too close to the pin for my taste at a US Open. Few too many players under par for my taste.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Liv tour cannot buy years and years of heritage and I think that if I was running the PGA I would not be concerned, maybe even excited for some controversy to help promote some events.

Quote Originally Posted by BenchRider View Post
    Liv tour cannot buy years and years of heritage and I think that if I was running the PGA I would not be concerned, maybe even excited for some controversy to help promote some events.
    I was bored on Friday and turned the LIV on. And I just don't see it lasting that long. Now it may lead to some change in the PGA tour, but other than that, I just don't see it.

The shotgun start does nothing for me. There is no drama in the event. Having everyone on the course at the same time is cool, but you don't have the leaders playing the same holes.

The fantasy football like team names are stupid. Actually I think the team portion is stupid.

First I thought about the LIV was today. At this point it just isn't compelling. Unless it becomes compelling it won't work. Imagine watching a tournament where the two leaders are throwing darts on 14-18 in back and forth action. Now imagine the two leaders, one on holes 17-2 and the other on holes 6-10 throwing darts on the complete other side of the course. Which one are you choosing?

17. Likes:

MWM (Today)

Turn Off Ads?